• Nov 17th, 2017 7:00 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
13699 posts
9195 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 12:57 pm
Looks like the U.S. Black Friday sale price for the GH Mini will be US$29: http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/BlackF ... s/Target/1
Yup. Also heard Canadian Black Friday will be $39. Seems about right.
"Had one yesterday and there was a full slice of onion no thinner than a polio shoe.

I cried out in despair." RFD user Dingus
Dec 25, 2010
210 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I would be interested in picking one up after winning mine, but would be more interested in buying the regular Google Home if it's on sale for Black Friday.

Also, so the only way to have multi-user support working is to have every person to connect their Google account? My 8 year old doesn't have one, that's the only way he can speak to it without it linking his inquiries to my account?
Oct 14, 2010
842 posts
328 upvotes
Barrie ON
rjw85 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 2:57 pm
Also, so the only way to have multi-user support working is to have every person to connect their Google account?
The Google home only uses your voice print when you ask personal questions. For example if I ask what appointments I have today, it will check MY Google calendar, and if my wife asks the same question it will check her calendar.

If I say call Bob Smith on his cell phone, it will check my address book for Bob Smith and not my WIfes's. I can also create a profile of news broadcasts that I enjoy, such as CBC Radio News, or certain financial and tech news updates. When I say "Hey Google, good morning", it will start playing the broadcasts listed in my personal profile.

I also have set up my Google Home to interface with my Harmony Hub. If someone other than my wife or myself ask Google to turn on the TV, it will refuse with the message that it didn't recognize the voice.

I often have grandchildren in the house who drive me nuts by asking Google to make animal sounds and dividing numbers by zero. The Google Home is happy to answer these questions even though the grandchildren do not have Google accounts.

I also have the Google Home control my lighting, but I think it will allow anyone to issue lighting commands. It's hard to prove that when both my Wife and I are registered users, and I don't dare as a grandchild to test one of those commands for me.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1057 posts
102 upvotes
Vaughan
Does each voice registered to the GHM need it's own phone? Can I register my voice and my 2 kids voices all from the same phone, but using different Google accounts?

It's a shame that the best buy 20% coupon i have for the device doesn't extend past BF weekend. With an extra 20% off a full Google home on top of BF pricing would have made me consider the larger device since we do seem to be playing a lot of music from it. I have a bluetooth speaker, but the GHM is sitting right there waiting for commands and when your hands are full of paint, it's a no brainer.

If anyone wants the BB coupon code for 20% off, shoot me a PM. Expires on Nov. 16th.
Jan 13, 2014
597 posts
156 upvotes
Calgary
Rick007 wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 6:19 pm
I also have set up my Google Home to interface with my Harmony Hub. If someone other than my wife or myself ask Google to turn on the TV, it will refuse with the message that it didn't recognize the voice.
That right there makes Google Home better than Google Assistant on my Nvidia Shield. Unless shortcuts mess this up, my brother can say "Hey Google, Power Down" and it will run my shortcut that tells Harmony to turn off all my entertainment devices.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
An obvious question that comes up for people thinking of buying a Google Home or Mini in the upcoming Black Friday sales is whether or not it's worth it, especially if they already have Google Home/Google Assistant on their mobile device.

Here's what I think after using it for a couple of weeks:

It's true that the Google Home devices and the free Google Home on your Android mobile device both use more-or-less the same Google Assistant. Here's a brief comparison of the minor differences between the versions of Google Assistant: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/ ... u-0174844/ . Essentially the primary difference is that since the Google Home devices are voice-only and have no display, they can't show you a list of possibly-relevant search results. Instead they just come up blank with "I can't help you with that.", even though the relevant search results you would see on your mobile device screen would be useful. In an attempt to compensate for the lack of a display, Google Home allows you to pair a Chromecast or Android TV with your Google Home device so that you can ask for output to be shown on TV - but it's so limited as to be pretty much useless in its present form.

Google Assistant on your mobile device will control your home automation devices by voice input just like Google Home devices, so if you just want to experiment for free with Google's ability to control home automation, you do not need a Google Home device. Even versions of Android officially too old to get Google Assistant support can get it through the beta program (see https://beebom.com/how-enable-google-as ... d-no-root/). The only real difference is that you must open with "Ok Google" on a mobile device, while the Google Home devices also allow the more natural (and one syllable less) "Hey Google". Note that if you say "Ok Google" and there is more than one device listening in the same room, Google will sort them out and respond only on one device.

So in the end what do you get for $80 with the GH Mini?

- It's an always-on Google Assistant with excellent microphone pickup. That's the primary purpose. But the lack of any display is limiting.

- It's a Bluetooth speaker. But it's too small to have very good sound output, and it's a mono speaker, so it's strictly AM radio quality for music. The bigger Google Home is better in sound quality, but still mono.

- It's a Chromecast Audio receiver. But with the aforementioned limits and the lack of any high-quality stereo output via audio jack or Bluetooth, it's no replacement for a real Chromecast Audio. If you do have a Chromecast Audio (or Video) hooked up to a sound system, it is possible to tell GH "Hey Google, play <whatever> on my Chromecast."

Since the value is mainly in the Google Assistant and Google Home software that is already free on your mobile device, is the Mini hardware worth $80, or the full size unit worth $180? I would have to say no, it's seriously overpriced at the current retail price in Canada. That obviously leaves plenty of room for Google to discount it, and it looks like they are planning to cut the price in half for upcoming Black Friday and Boxing Day sales. Is it worth that price? Maybe.
Last edited by Faith24 on Nov 7th, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 14, 2010
842 posts
328 upvotes
Barrie ON
d_source wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 9:27 am
Does each voice registered to the GHM need it's own phone? Can I register my voice and my 2 kids voices all from the same phone, but using different Google accounts?
A Google account is not required at all for your children to ask GH general questions. Anybody can ask to hear a joke, or what is the weather forecast, or what is the square root of 81.

A Google account is only required if you want to ask GH what is on your calendar for today, or to make a phone call to someone in your address book. If your children don't already have a Google account, then they would not be asking questions of a personal nature.

If they do have personal Google accounts, they need some way of attaching there voice prints to their account. To to that they would need to log into your phone, and then train GH with their own voice. Afterwards you can log back into the phone and use it normally.

I believe the Home app on the phone allows you to add additional accounts to the GH and phone
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
Has anyone been able to redeem the 3-months-free Google Play Music offer for the Mini? (https://support.google.com/googlehome/a ... 4?hl=en-CA)
It doesn't appear in my list of offers in the Google Home app, and all of Google's suggested paths to obtain the offer go in circles without actually getting anywhere useful.

The web version of the Redeem option is here (link only works to redeem the offer in up-to-date Chrome browser): https://store.google.com/product/google_home_partners
Must be logged into the same Google account as your GHM, and have Canada selected as the Play Store country. But for me it just searches endlessly for my Google Home Mini device without success. But if my Chromecast is turned on, it finds that right away and displays offers. Looks like something hasn't been set up properly for the Mini at Google's end.

Update: Google Support spent 45 minutes on chat with me trying to fix this before punting it to a higher tier.
Last edited by Faith24 on Nov 8th, 2017 2:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dec 25, 2010
210 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:01 pm
An obvious question that comes up for people thinking of buying a Google Home or Mini in the upcoming Black Friday sales is whether or not it's worth it, especially if they already have Google Home/Google Assistant on their mobile device.

Here's what I think after using it for a couple of weeks:

It's true that the Google Home devices and the free Google Home on your Android mobile device both use more-or-less the same Google Assistant. Here's a brief comparison of the minor differences between the versions of Google Assistant: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/ ... u-0174844/ . Essentially the primary difference is that since the Google Home devices are voice-only and have no display, they can't show you a list of possibly-relevant search results. Instead they just come up blank with "I can't help you with that.", even though the relevant search results you would see on your mobile device screen would be useful. In an attempt to compensate for the lack of a display, Google Home allows you to pair a Chromecast or Android TV with your Google Home device so that you can ask for output to be shown on TV - but it's so limited as to be pretty much useless in its present form.

Google Assistant on your mobile device will control your home automation devices by voice input just like Google Home devices, so if you just want to experiment for free with Google's ability to control home automation, you do not need a Google Home device. Even versions of Android officially too old to get Google Assistant support can get it through the beta program (see https://beebom.com/how-enable-google-as ... d-no-root/). The only real difference is that you must open with "Ok Google" on a mobile device, while the Google Home devices also allow the more natural (and one syllable less) "Hey Google". Note that if you say "Ok Google" and there is more than one device listening in the same room, Google will sort them out and respond only on one device.

So in the end what do you get for $80 with the GH Mini?

- It's an always-on Google Assistant with excellent microphone pickup. That's the primary purpose. But the lack of any display is limiting.

- It's a Bluetooth speaker. But it's too small to have very good sound output, and it's a mono speaker, so it's strictly AM radio quality for music. The bigger Google Home is better in sound quality, but still mono.

- It's a Chromecast Audio receiver. But with the aforementioned limits and the lack of any high-quality stereo output via audio jack or Bluetooth, it's no replacement for a real Chromecast Audio. If you do have a Chromecast Audio (or Video) hooked up to a sound system, it is possible to tell GH "Hey Google, play <whatever> on my Chromecast."

Since the value is mainly in the Google Assistant and Google Home software that is already free on your mobile device, is the Mini hardware worth $80, or the full size unit worth $180? I would have to say no, it's seriously overpriced at the current retail price in Canada. That obviously leaves plenty of room for Google to discount it, and it looks like they are planning to cut the price in half for upcoming Black Friday and Boxing Day sales. Is it worth that price? Maybe.
Thanks for the great review! I won mine a few weeks ago and don't love it, yes it's convenient at times, but doesn't do much else that my phone couldn't already do. And I could use my BT speaker with my phone, which sounds better. That being said, if it's discounted to approximately $39 at Black Friday (just speculating), that's not a terrible price to maybe put it in another room. Getting the full one for say $100 and a better speaker would be preferable though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
Best Buy U.S. Black Friday flyer is out now, and like Target they are offering the GH Mini for US$29 with a $10 store gift card thrown in.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10593 posts
1679 upvotes
Ottawa
For $29, definitely want to get these a try. Now to figure out the best way to buy these from the US (or source it from Canada at a reasonable price, say $50)
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
Where did you get the coupons?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1268 posts
161 upvotes
Faith24 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:12 pm
Where did you get the coupons?
The google mini giveaway at yonge dundas and eaton center
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1389 upvotes
Richmond
The Walmart Black Friday flyer also has the Google Home Mini for $29 like Best Buy and Target, but upping the ante they are offering $25 off on any Walmart purchase made through Google Express, compared to the $10 store gift card being included by the others. That could make the GH Mini almost free. But Canadians can't easily make a purchase through Google Express - might involve some complexities of setting up a U.S. Google account with a U.S. credit card. Darn, we get shafted again!