• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 7:49 pm
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
d_source wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 11:27 am
Ok good to know that I can do it from my phone. Do i need to be on the same WiFi network as the mini or can i do it remotely?
I haven't tried it remotely, but others report that it works, e.g., from office to home.

Mine is working again now after that service interruption earlier.
Dec 25, 2010
236 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, the broadcast feature stopped working for me for a little bit this morning, but now is fine again if I am on Wifi or just data.

I'm definitely planning on using it to freak my wife and kids out!
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
You can type "Broadcast whatever..." to Google Assistant on your phone too. Comes out in Google Assistance voice instead of your voice of course. Handy for startling people nearby. :)

Hmmm, I see that the Broadcast function is down again this morning. Looks like that's going to be a regular thing for a while. :(

Update: Yup, back up again an hour later, just like yesterday morning.

Further update: Ok, I figured it out. It's Night Mode. In the Google Home app you can set your unit to be in Night Mode between certain hours, where it reduces volume and doesn't issue audio notifications. Apparently Night Mode also silences Broadcast.
Last edited by Exp315 on Nov 16th, 2017 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Penalty Box
Mar 28, 2007
2850 posts
351 upvotes
For those who own the mini - how is the free US/Canada calling? does it work 100% of the time?
[removed for signature violation]
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
It's the same free calling you get with Google Hangouts Dialer. I've used it for a couple of years for personal calls and It works pretty reliably for me, only occasional glitches. There's a tiny bit of lag and an occasional momentary dropout, typical of most VoIP services.

There's a couple of minor issues using the GH Mini for phone calls:

1. Your voice comes across as a bit echoing, whether you're a few feet away or across the room. Doesn't seem to do as good a job as most speakerphones about disguising that.

2. You have to say "Ok Google, hang up" to terminate the call, which the other end also hears or records as part of your message.
Nov 16, 2017
2 posts
Hi, I seem to be missing the "settings" option when I go to google home app -> devices. All I have is the ability to unlink my devices. I would like to enable night mode and access the equalizer.

Anyone else missing it? Or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Update: Turns out you need to on the LAN to access this.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1088 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
Anyone using a Ring Video Doorbell with the GHM? What can you do with it? Can you tell the GHM to cast the video to your TV (using chromecast) when someone rings the doorbell or if there is a proximity alert? Can you speak back to someone using the GHM? Will the GHM tell you that someone is at the door when the bell is rung? Not sure what else it can/should do.

Any thoughts on the Ring deice itself?
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
trevdanc wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 1:15 pm
Hi, I seem to be missing the "settings" option when I go to google home app -> devices. All I have is the ability to unlink my devices. I would like to enable night mode and access the equalizer.

Anyone else missing it? Or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Update: Turns out you need to on the LAN to access this.
There are two separate areas for Google Home Settings, which is a bit confusing. The Google Home app has a menu with Settings. But in the app under Devices, select the GH Mini device, tap the 3 dots, and it also has a separate device-specific Settings menu. That's where you'll find things that are device-specific, like Night Mode.

The equalizer is in a beta release of the GH app not yet pushed out for general consumption.
Last edited by Exp315 on Nov 17th, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
d_source wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 2:52 pm
Anyone using a Ring Video Doorbell with the GHM? What can you do with it? Can you tell the GHM to cast the video to your TV (using chromecast) when someone rings the doorbell or if there is a proximity alert? Can you speak back to someone using the GHM? Will the GHM tell you that someone is at the door when the bell is rung? Not sure what else it can/should do.

Any thoughts on the Ring deice itself?
I have a Ring Doorbell. It is available as a supported device in IFTTT and Stringify. I can use it to do things like turn on the light when there's motion detection, but there isn't really any integration with Google Home because Ring only supports two input triggers, i.e., motion detect and doorbell ring. Google Home can't ask it to do anything. You can't do anything with video, or send audio output to it, or access the chime to produce a ring tone, all of which would be logical extensions of the current capability, but not supported.

The Google Home Mini also suffers from the same fault, i.e., it's a trigger only. It could be an output device for sound, but so far Google hasn't chosen to provide that capability for other smart home devices to be able to do things like tell you that someone is ringing your doorbell. I'm sure Google will add some output capability at some point.

Maybe Ring will also eventually smarten up and offer some additional capability, but I think they have their hands full at the moment getting basic functionality to work properly.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1088 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
Exp315 wrote:
Nov 17th, 2017 7:00 pm
I have a Ring Doorbell. It is available as a supported device in IFTTT and Stringify. I can use it to do things like turn on the light when there's motion detection, but there isn't really any integration with Google Home because Ring only supports two input triggers, i.e., motion detect and doorbell ring. Google Home can't ask it to do anything. You can't do anything with video, or send audio output to it, or access the chime to produce a ring tone, all of which would be logical extensions of the current capability, but not supported.

The Google Home Mini also suffers from the same fault, i.e., it's a trigger only. It could be an output device for sound, but so far Google hasn't chosen to provide that capability for other smart home devices to be able to do things like tell you that someone is ringing your doorbell. I'm sure Google will add some output capability at some point.

Maybe Ring will also eventually smarten up and offer some additional capability, but I think they have their hands full at the moment getting basic functionality to work properly.
Thanks for this info. Between your post and looking at the size and where I would want to place it (I wanted to wire it to replace the existing door bell so it would use the existing chime), this item is a non starter for me. Eventually I will look at the Arlo pro instead, which is also lacking proper Google home integration, and is much more expensive (hence waiting) but seems to be closer to what I am looking for.
Nov 16, 2017
2 posts
I would wait for the Nest doorbell. Should be out early 2018.
Oct 10, 2006
86 posts
4 upvotes
Currently an Iphone user ... would you switch to Android if you purchased a Google Home to get full usage?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3912 posts
366 upvotes
Montreal
Teek wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 10:20 pm
Currently an Iphone user ... would you switch to Android if you purchased a Google Home to get full usage?
I'm not familiar with the iPhone's implementation of Home but there is a Google Home app for the iPhone.
Does it not do everything the android app does?
Phils
Jul 3, 2017
372 posts
205 upvotes
softech wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 7:14 am
was try to get Go train status for my station but it returns no result... anyone any luck?
I've tried a bunch of transit-related questions, but it takes very careful phrasing to elicit a useful answer. For example if I ask about the schedule of my local bus, or when the next bus arrives, or where the bus stop is, it has no idea. But if I ask something like "How do I get from here to (location) by bus?", it will tell me the bus number, arrival time, and location of my local stop, and an estimate of how long it will take. It says that it will send the full itinerary to my phone. That itinerary arrives as a message in Google Home.