• Dec 11th, 2017 7:49 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4899 posts
2430 upvotes
Edmonton
Teek wrote:
Nov 20th, 2017 10:20 pm
Currently an Iphone user ... would you switch to Android if you purchased a Google Home to get full usage?
I'm an iPhone user as well, and haven't felt limited by my choice of iOS. My GF has a Samsung, though, so if anyone comes up with something, I'll test it with her phone. :)

C
Mar 23, 2003
939 posts
66 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 10:13 am
I've tried a bunch of transit-related questions, but it takes very careful phrasing to elicit a useful answer. For example if I ask about the schedule of my local bus, or when the next bus arrives, or where the bus stop is, it has no idea. But if I ask something like "How do I get from here to (location) by bus?", it will tell me the bus number, arrival time, and location of my local stop, and an estimate of how long it will take. It says that it will send the full itinerary to my phone. That itinerary arrives as a message in Google Home.
thanks for the tips. I will try

I wish I can setup the question and answer on the Google Home app to teach the device.. like in this case. .I can setup question like any delay with southbound train RH line .. and what answer they look for..
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2005
3911 posts
366 upvotes
Montreal
I don't know if it will work but there are is an "if then else" in IFTTT.
There's a youtube video that talks about it.

Phils
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1088 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
For black Friday I bought a chromecast to go along with my GHM. I can tell the GHM to turn on my TV, turn off my TV and that works just fine. Chromecast has apps that I use frequently. Di.FM, mixcloud, NHL.TV. Has anyone figured out a way to tell the GHM to "start the mixcloud app on living room TV"? It will start it's own apps, like Youtube or Spotify, but I want to start the apps I use more often. I haven't looked into how to create something on IFTTT or Stringify, but would it be possible to create these commands?
Oct 2, 2013
762 posts
176 upvotes
Today I finally got some time to setup my GH mini
after all setup is done, I enter Device settings and at the bottom Information section
it show Country code: NL
:o what Netherlands? I believe Google doesn't even sell GH product there.....
after a chat with Google Help, we still didn't find out why is this

the only connection I have with NL is I have a private VPN server configured there and I used it a lot during the last 2 months or so.
and I sure used it to login to my Gmail account when I was travelling in China.

I am not using it when setting up the Google Home mini, so any clue how I can fix this?
Jul 3, 2017
361 posts
199 upvotes
d_source wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:17 pm
For black Friday I bought a chromecast to go along with my GHM. I can tell the GHM to turn on my TV, turn off my TV and that works just fine. Chromecast has apps that I use frequently. Di.FM, mixcloud, NHL.TV. Has anyone figured out a way to tell the GHM to "start the mixcloud app on living room TV"? It will start it's own apps, like Youtube or Spotify, but I want to start the apps I use more often. I haven't looked into how to create something on IFTTT or Stringify, but would it be possible to create these commands?
The problem is that the Chromecast is basically just a player for web streams. A smart app running elsewhere has to tell it what web stream to play. Google Home knows only about specific apps that Google has chosen to implement, like Youtube, Netflix, Google Play Music, and Spotify, so it can cast tell them to cast to a Chromecast. Other apps with cast ability are unknown to Google Home, and probably not high on Google's priority list to implement.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1088 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:36 am
The problem is that the Chromecast is basically just a player for web streams. A smart app running elsewhere has to tell it what web stream to play. Google Home knows only about specific apps that Google has chosen to implement, like Youtube, Netflix, Google Play Music, and Spotify, so it can cast tell them to cast to a Chromecast. Other apps with cast ability are unknown to Google Home, and probably not high on Google's priority list to implement.
Thanks. I'm a programmer. Is there anyway that I can write something instead of waiting for Google, which will likely never happen? I wouldn't even know where to start if it's at all possible.
Jul 3, 2017
361 posts
199 upvotes
d_source wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:05 am
Thanks. I'm a programmer. Is there anyway that I can write something instead of waiting for Google, which will likely never happen? I wouldn't even know where to start if it's at all possible.
It's apparently not difficult to write your own program to stream something to the Chromecast, but the problem is that if you want to get some other app or service to stream to the Chromecast via GH voice control, then you need a way to link them up. Maybe you could do something with Tasker on Android?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
1088 posts
105 upvotes
Vaughan
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:52 am
It's apparently not difficult to write your own program to stream something to the Chromecast, but the problem is that if you want to get some other app or service to stream to the Chromecast via GH voice control, then you need a way to link them up. Maybe you could do something with Tasker on Android?
Thanks, I'll have a look at Tasker.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
15876 posts
488 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:36 am
d_source wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:05 am
Exp315 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:52 am
What you guys are saying is basically correct (I've been doing some investigation also).

For Google in-house apps, and selected "top-tier" 3rd party apps like Netflix and Spotify, Google Home integration is baked-in, and works very well.

For niche apps (that is, "niche" in Google's point of view!) you have to look elsewhere.

I've discovered that for PLEX (which is popular on this forum), some guy made a third-party tool to operate Plex via Google Home. It's called Phlex. I can't link to it since I'm at work so just google "Phlex for Plex". You should get top 2 hits: their github and a Plex Forums thread.
Sep 6, 2009
411 posts
82 upvotes
Has anyone gotten voice match set up successfully through Google Home on Samsung or LG phones? I was able to complete the voice match setup on an Iphone. With my LG V20, the step keep on getting stuck with the message "Please Wait...". There have been a lot of reports on google forum.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11512 posts
1130 upvotes
Kanata
dadizhu wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 8:07 pm
Has anyone gotten voice match set up successfully through Google Home on Samsung or LG phones? I was able to complete the voice match setup on an Iphone. With my LG V20, the step keep on getting stuck with the message "Please Wait...". There have been a lot of reports on google forum.
No issues on a Samsung S5 here.
Jun 2, 2004
443 posts
49 upvotes
Toronto
Trying to setup voice match on my GH mini on S7E keeps hanging at please wait.. its been 40 minutes now...

No idea how to fix it i dont really have another phone to use for setup
Mar 23, 2003
939 posts
66 upvotes
Mod_Master wrote:
Dec 10th, 2017 7:10 pm
Trying to setup voice match on my GH mini on S7E keeps hanging at please wait.. its been 40 minutes now...

No idea how to fix it i dont really have another phone to use for setup
My S7E no issue with the setup...