Computers & Electronics

Google Home - in Walmart US (USD$129.00)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2017 1:41 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes

Google Home - in Walmart US (USD$129.00)

The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Usenet
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12019 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Which Walmart? What State?

Any sighting on the 3 pack for $299?

*** Edit ***

Ooops, that's not the Wi-Fi, it's the old sku. Didn't they discontinue this?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
I don't really trust any of these Google products TBH. Basically everything they ever make "for the home" gets abandoned, discontinued, obsoleted, in pretty short order. Even Android phones/tablets suffer the same fate very quickly. Every year or so it's a new version that's not really compatible with any older devices and after 2-3 years you're basically "way behind".

Look at stuff like Google TV--lasted a few years and then they just discontinued it and started up Android TV...and how long is that going to last before they put the kibosh on that and bring out something new and leave the old stuff behind to die? Buy Google Home today and I'm sure it'll be described by reviews something to the tune of "good but lacking", "innovative but not perfect", etc. and then by 2018 it'll basically be a paperweight for you I bet.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
Gee wrote: Which Walmart? What State?

Any sighting on the 3 pack for $299?

*** Edit ***

Ooops, that's not the Wi-Fi, it's the old sku. Didn't they discontinue this?
no idea! saw it on the web.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: I don't really trust any of these Google products TBH. Basically everything they ever make "for the home" gets abandoned, discontinued, obsoleted, in pretty short order. Even Android phones/tablets suffer the same fate very quickly. Every year or so it's a new version that's not really compatible with any older devices and after 2-3 years you're basically "way behind".

Look at stuff like Google TV--lasted a few years and then they just discontinued it and started up Android TV...and how long is that going to last before they put the kibosh on that and bring out something new and leave the old stuff behind to die? Buy Google Home today and I'm sure it'll be described by reviews something to the tune of "good but lacking", "innovative but not perfect", etc. and then by 2018 it'll basically be a paperweight for you I bet.
AFAIK, the only made-by-Google devices are the Pixels and the CCs. I don't recall any Pixel or CC get abandoned, discontinued or obsoleted (yet.)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
bogolisk wrote:
ES_Revenge wrote: I don't really trust any of these Google products TBH. Basically everything they ever make "for the home" gets abandoned, discontinued, obsoleted, in pretty short order. Even Android phones/tablets suffer the same fate very quickly. Every year or so it's a new version that's not really compatible with any older devices and after 2-3 years you're basically "way behind".

AFAIK, the only made-by-Google devices are the Pixels and the CCs. I don't recall any Pixel or CC get abandoned, discontinued or obsoleted (yet.)
Just give it a short time :P You're right that the so-called "made by Google" devices aren't that many, but they've made several different pieces of tech "for the home", and it's as I said--they just move on to something else in short order. Just because they didn't "make it" doesn't mean they weren't behind it. I don't really trust them for longevity, they seem too fickle. While that may be fine for the people that like to change phones every 6 months, devices for your home like...errr...Google Home? Pretty sure not even the "need a new phone every few months" crowd wants to go for that on those kind of devices.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
3363 posts
1990 upvotes

bogolisk wrote: AFAIK, the only made-by-Google devices are the Pixels and the CCs. I don't recall any Pixel or CC get abandoned, discontinued or obsoleted (yet.)
ES_Revenge wrote: Just give it a short time :P You're right that the so-called "made by Google" devices aren't that many, but they've made several different pieces of tech "for the home", and it's as I said--they just move on to something else in short order. Just because they didn't "make it" doesn't mean they weren't behind it. I don't really trust them for longevity, they seem too fickle. While that may be fine for the people that like to change phones every 6 months, devices for your home like...errr...Google Home? Pretty sure not even the "need a new phone every few months" crowd wants to go for that on those kind of devices.
That's your own made-up preconceived expectation, not their policy. Anyone can pull out a preconceived expectation from where-the-sun-never-shines and start throwing blame around. G posts their end of life support warranty for all their products. Event the not-made-by-google Nexusen have explicit end-of-life date (much shorter than the made-by-G devices.)

It's simple. Before I spend my hard earned money, one of the things I check is the warranty terms!
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2006
4263 posts
469 upvotes
not liking how newer Google products are not very flexible and open to third-party apps

my next TV box will be Chinese knockoff that is wide open
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2006
2332 posts
710 upvotes
Alberta
Been looking some sore of voice control system at home, and noticed the large thread about the earlier deals on Google home for $99 through B&H.
Those of you that bought, are you pretty happy with it? Is the static mic issue still a big deal, and was it a problem to get RMA'd?

Debating if it's worth waiting for it to be released in Canada, wait for a US sale at B&H, or just bite the bullet and buy with the current "free chromecast" deal.
May 6, 2016
483 posts
218 upvotes
Whitby
With a family of snow birds, i just ordered the google home with the free chromecast audio from BB. Comes to $190 CAD. Was flipping between the echo dot and the google home. With the house full of android and wemo devices (a few ipods, ipads and an iPhone for the kids) and a couple of piper security cameras, I didn't know really which way to go. Ordered the home for now and will try a few echo dots in the bedrooms later.