• Jan 13th, 2019 1:27 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1870 upvotes
Cochrane, AB

Google Kills Off the Chromecast Audio

It's dead people. Google has officially killed off the Chromecast audio. I wonder how much longer it will even remain functioning and I have 3 of them. I wonder when Google will kill off the regular Chromecast for the TV, my bet is within this year.

The lesson here is never to buy Google hardware.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01 ... ast-audio/
23 replies
Dec 20, 2018
931 posts
799 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 3:56 pm
It's dead people. Google has officially killed off the Chromecast audio. I wonder how much longer it will even remain functioning and I have 3 of them. I wonder when Google will kill off the regular Chromecast for the TV, my bet is within this year.

The lesson here is never to buy Google hardware.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01 ... ast-audio/
Dramatic much?

Your Chromecast audio will still work, they're just no longer making it much like Apple doesn't make the iPhone 7 anymore, doesn't mean it stops working

You think a company should never stop making a particular model of a product?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1870 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:13 pm
Dramatic much?

Your Chromecast audio will still work, they're just no longer making it much like Apple doesn't make the iPhone 7 anymore, doesn't mean it stops working

Yeah, it will still work like the Google Nexus TV still works. Remember that?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8369 posts
1417 upvotes
Winnipeg
seems their distancing themselves from 3.5 mm support and going for wifi only and hdmi. Which sucks because older systems with quality speaker components are being targeted against supporting. Hello diy projects
Dec 20, 2018
931 posts
799 upvotes
JoeStale wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:23 pm
Yeah, it will still work like the Google Nexus TV still works. Remember that?
Yea, it still works (nexus tv) just like your Chromecast audio will. They even supported nexus tv for 2 years after they discontinued it with updates. And it still works

So again, dramatic much? They discontinued a product ..just like every other manufactur does
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3860 posts
2756 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:38 pm
Yea, it still works (nexus tv) just like your Chromecast audio will. They even supported nexus tv for 2 years after they discontinued it with updates. And it still works
Just like Google TV... oh, wait...
Dec 20, 2018
931 posts
799 upvotes
Exp315 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:56 pm
Just like Google TV... oh, wait...
Still works yup

Not like they stopped working

Just like when they stopped making plasma TVs,those tvs didn't stop working
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2005
3883 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:36 pm
seems their distancing themselves from 3.5 mm support and going for wifi only and hdmi. Which sucks because older systems with quality speaker components are being targeted against supporting. Hello diy projects
Vortexbox for audio storage/CD to FLAC ripper running LMS. Any raspberry pi with a i2c DAC and piCorePlayer and you have a network audio system that can play any audio format. And multi room audio is a click away.
You say get high, I say hello!
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2228 posts
554 upvotes
Windsor
The Chromecast Audio (and the Mini, almost) is a perfect device to circumvent Google's protection of their music subscription. So, they intentionally feature crippled it to eliminate this option (it used to work). Now? I don't know anyone that owns one who doesn't find this limitation asinine (meaning I am sure Google gets lots of complaints about it). So, either un-cripple it, or just abolish the product; they chose the latter.

Sucks, because now I'll have to sell my Chromecast Audios before they stop working, and modify my Google Minis (which shouldn't lose support for a while) to add speaker terminals/headphone jacks; silly, but it could eliminate the need for an external amplifier, so that's maybe good.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
16567 posts
3600 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 4:13 pm
Dramatic much?

To nitpick: Apple still makes the iPhone 7.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
8369 posts
1417 upvotes
Winnipeg
edgedamage wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 6:13 pm
Vortexbox for audio storage/CD to FLAC ripper running LMS. Any raspberry pi with a i2c DAC and piCorePlayer and you have a network audio system that can play any audio format. And multi room audio is a click away.
zeros are becoming popular for this niche. They have a phat dac too
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2191 posts
836 upvotes
The kill it because it doesn't fit into their vision of home/life automation.
"Hey Google, turn-on the TV"... *TV is on*
"Hey Google, turn-on the stereo!.. I said: turn-on the stereo.... turn it on, dammit!!!!"
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3780 posts
466 upvotes
Toronto
bogolisk wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:06 pm
"Hey Google, turn-on the stereo!.. I said: turn-on the stereo.... turn it on, dammit!!!!"
The response there would be "I'm sorry, I don't know what a stereo is."

I love the Chromecast Audio concept and have a couple in my house (just bought the second one, second-hand, a few days ago). It worked well for me, as I don't have a TV and am not interested in a smart speaker listening to everything I do. The CCA actually replaced a Raspberry Pi based set-up for me. But I too am not surprised that Google is killing a good product.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2191 posts
836 upvotes
lead wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:02 pm
zeros are becoming popular for this niche. They have a phat dac too
Or just stay in digital domain and leverage the expensive DAC in your expensive amp:
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!