• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2019 9:47 am
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5139 posts
854 upvotes
calgary
I wondered if this would be a phoned in attempt to get into the gaming market but they did show off a bunch of really cool features now that things aren't bound to a console.

Having said that I have a lot of questions and concerns.

What sort of internet is required here? PSnow is not satisfactory on my 100mb connection, so Im curious to see how this stacks up and if theyre able to solve issues with latency and buffering that I've experienced with PSNow.
What is the pricing like? Will it be your ala carte 60$ fee, monthly fee, or a rental type thing
What is the game lineup going to look like? They didn't show much in the way of games which is kind of important when making a gaming service.

Personally I love the concept, I mean I think I'll always want a physical dedicated gaming box under my TV but having the ability to launch HD level games on my phone or computer on a dime sounds so dam cool.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1371 posts
645 upvotes
Vancouver
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 2:14 pm
What sort of internet is required here? PSnow is not satisfactory on my 100mb connection, so Im curious to see how this stacks up and if theyre able to solve issues with latency and buffering that I've experienced with PSNow.
I tried out Project Stream in BC with a US VPN on a 100mb connection, and it ran surprisingly smooth. I haven't tried PSNow, but Project Stream was significantly smoother than GeForce Now which I already thought was decent. I think the one thing they did really well was purely prioritizing input. The video feed blurred up pretty rarely, but it did happen, and yet the movement was still pretty fluid. Barring intense multiplayer FPS games, I think I'd be willing to give it a shot. It did eat up data though, if you are capped in anyway this is a no go, taking something like 5-10gb/hour.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4657 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
I wouldn't call it a major paradigm shift yet.

Google has a knack for overpromising and under delivering. Or even completely abandoning projects after a year or two.

They should have worked to push Google Fiber and their Helium Baloon Based WiFi services first.

The bottleneck to Stadia will be ISP providers and their speeds and bandwidth caps.

Since you're streaming games, maybe it will be a monthly based subscription like YouTube Premium but ar a higher price point.

They don't suffer from a lack of data centers like Nvidia's similar GeForce Now service. But Nvidia also requires you own the titles on Steam, Epic or UPlay.

If they could execute this with prowess it's going to force Sony, Microsoft and Nvidia to really focus on exclusives. Multiplatform titles would just work better on Stadia due to no limitations of resources from dev side.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6788 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
PharaohsVizier wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 2:26 pm
The video feed blurred up pretty rarely, but it did happen, and yet the movement was still pretty fluid.
Even though it sounds promising on paper this is my issue with almost everything related to streaming. Even when it's working properly I can always tell it's a stream by the bitrate and image quality. If they can iron out the image quality so it's not perceivable then I'd gladly embrace this over limited weak console hardware or maintaining a PC capable of 4K/60fps
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 2:14 pm
What is the pricing like? Will it be your ala carte 60$ fee, monthly fee, or a rental type thing
What is the game lineup going to look like? They didn't show much in the way of games which is kind of important when making a gaming service.
I imagine pricing for new games would remain the same ($60-80) and they'll also have some cheap subscription for access to older games like an Origin access type thing. The real selling point of this is not being tied to aging console hardware or needing to dish out a small fortune to maintain a PC capable of 4K/60fps.
If it works as well as they claim then every major third party publisher will probably be offering their games on here. They mentioned DOOM, ROTTR and AC during the stream which suggests Bethesda, Square Enix and Ubisoft are already on board.
Oct 4, 2017
147 posts
49 upvotes
If you're into single player experiences then anything might work. If you're seriously into multiplayer games then I wouldn't touch this or any other streaming service.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4657 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
CorporalJenky wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 5:40 pm
If you're into single player experiences then anything might work. If you're seriously into multiplayer games then I wouldn't touch this or any other streaming service.
They showed how their platform would be better for multiplatform and bring back split screen.

They could scale Battle Royale to 1000 players.

Or not have dev's worry about resources to allow split screen gaming. Instead push the envelope with respect to split screen.

It's all theoretical in terms of content. They have thr hardware ready on their end. We just have shitty ISPs.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1811 posts
493 upvotes
Toronto
Streaming games is the future, but I think its still a distant future. I'm interested to see what Google does in the (hardcore) gaming market.

I feel the gaming industry is in its own unique bubble compared to other areas of consumer tech. It's hard for outsiders to penetrate the market whether its a console or digital platform.

Sony and Microsoft have very deep roots in the industry that will take years for Google to cultivate.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2012
1244 posts
419 upvotes
Narkham
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Mar 20th, 2019 1:01 pm
Sony and Microsoft have very deep roots in the industry that will take years for Google to cultivate.
I think Google considered going the hardware route, (as per the rumours) but then probably thought they'd skip that step and go straight into streaming. I think a lot of the current gamers are passionate and dedicated to a gaming specific system (pc/console master race), whereas the new gen will more gladly adapt to a streaming service (ie. fortnight all the devices).
RFD is the reason I live in poverty.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4657 posts
1506 upvotes
Toronto
Nvidia is already testing a similar service for awhile now.

Geforce Now has been in beta for awhile and supports most UPlay titles and handful of Steam titles. They are pretty good in adding support for newer titles as soon ad they release.

In their case, you need to own the titles on either Steam or Uplay.

They say resolution is capped at 1080p or 1200p, but I've pushed it in the ingame menus to 4K and it works flawlessly on my 4K monitor.

Latency issues were recently resolved on the Mac side, so no dips.

With Nvidia's service they are letting you game on their data centers using a Tesla P40 card.

Sadly HDR is not supported.

Google has a the right idea but like Nvidia, consumers will be restricted by ISPs.

There's also the Devs now being segregated to develop multiple plat games for a fifth medium.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2931 posts
680 upvotes
Ajax
Interesting. Never count out a newcomer. Remember when the first Xbox was announced, the initial reaction was meh. So let's see what happens. Also let's see what happens with M$ at E3 2019 and Sony minus E3 2019.

Regarding developers being segregated to develop multiple plat games for a fifth medium. It is not really like the PS3, Xbox 360 and before era where hardware was completely different. We are at a stage now where it is mostly in PC spec territories. As such, it shouldn't take that much more resources to push games to this medium.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2119 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
Will never truly compare to actually having the game installed on your console/pc. Too many variables, and dependant on things out of the user's control. This is chasing a boat as it moves down river. A nice alternative, but actually replacing traditional game/machine? Nope.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Aug 20, 2009
7048 posts
1730 upvotes
Grimsby
Maybe it's just because I've been gaming since basically the inception of it but this stuff scares me a bit. I like breaking down barriers of entry to the hobby, that part is great. What I don't like is that gaming is a cut throat business these days and I can't imagine companies being responsible actors in this area. We've already seen some of the issues with Games as a Service, companies cutting off access and quasi SP/MP games like Destiny that basically won't function without servers in 10 years. Loot boxes and micro transactions will just intensify as upfront costs of games disappear in favor of subscription fees, it'll be all about the onboarding funnel as we've seen in the mobile arena. Scares the crap out of me. Right now I can buy a game and maintain the hardware, play it as long as I want. I hope that never goes away but sadly companies seem to be forcing it along. Some games won't even function without 20+GB day 1 patches anymore. I hope the PS4 proved this generation that SP games are desired and profitable, I don't want everything turning into a generic online "experience".

Google is also super weird and has killed so many projects over the years that I really don't want to get invested in their platform any time soon.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6788 posts
2954 upvotes
Toronto
I don't see Stadia as being a catalyst for more generic online experience type games, if anything I see it as the complete opposite where it'll appeal more to casual single player type gamers who want to easily play new games and don't care about being invested in one platform or another.
People who are into competitive online gaming will still want to own and play on their own hardware. Companies like Sony and Nintendo will continue to try to peddle consoles on the strength of exclusives but I think the existence of something like Stadia will force them into a position to price themselves more competitively which I welcome. Paying $60 to play a new game with top notch visuals and performance without any hardware investment is a hell of a lot more appealing than spending $400+ on a console that runs like crap, costs a subscription fee to play online, and only has exclusives games going for it.
BYan wrote:
Mar 21st, 2019 7:27 pm
Will never truly compare to actually having the game installed on your console/pc. Too many variables, and dependant on things out of the user's control. This is chasing a boat as it moves down river. A nice alternative, but actually replacing traditional game/machine? Nope.
I don't think it replaces owning hardware but it can certainly be a welcome option. Take a game like RDR2 for example. Only way to play it right now is on consoles where even the more expensive Pro and X models are locked to 30fps. We also have no idea if a PC version is ever coming or what the system requirements will be if it does. If I could play RDR2 right now at 4K/60fps on Stadia, I'd gladly choose that over buying it on PS4, X1 or waiting years for it to come to PC with no idea of if it's going to run well or not.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
2971 posts
1018 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 12:55 pm
Maybe it's just because I've been gaming since basically the inception of it but this stuff scares me a bit. I like breaking down barriers of entry to the hobby, that part is great. What I don't like is that gaming is a cut throat business these days and I can't imagine companies being responsible actors in this area. We've already seen some of the issues with Games as a Service, companies cutting off access and quasi SP/MP games like Destiny that basically won't function without servers in 10 years. Loot boxes and micro transactions will just intensify as upfront costs of games disappear in favor of subscription fees, it'll be all about the onboarding funnel as we've seen in the mobile arena. Scares the crap out of me. Right now I can buy a game and maintain the hardware, play it as long as I want. I hope that never goes away but sadly companies seem to be forcing it along. Some games won't even function without 20+GB day 1 patches anymore. I hope the PS4 proved this generation that SP games are desired and profitable, I don't want everything turning into a generic online "experience".

Google is also super weird and has killed so many projects over the years that I really don't want to get invested in their platform any time soon.
I would also be hesitant to trust Google in general. Pokemon Go was an experiment in using game-ification to shape retail foot traffic. Who knows what the hell they are up to with this Stadia?