• Jun 7th, 2019 9:47 am
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2126 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 1:57 pm
I don't think it replaces owning hardware but it can certainly be a welcome option.
No disagreements there. Keyword, of course, being option. I just hate it whenever somebody mentions streaming, and all the tech journalist outfits start harping about how this time its for realz the end of consoles/pcs. I mean, we own so little of our entertainment as it is, so anything that reduces ownership even further is, imo, not something to look forward to.

I think EA has the right idea. Subscription service, but let me DL/install the games to my machine. Perfect for those yearly titles or something where you know you really only want to play through the campaign and leave it.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6798 posts
2971 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 11:34 am
No disagreements there. Keyword, of course, being option. I just hate it whenever somebody mentions streaming, and all the tech journalist outfits start harping about how this time its for realz the end of consoles/pcs. I mean, we own so little of our entertainment as it is, so anything that reduces ownership even further is, imo, not something to look forward to.

I think EA has the right idea. Subscription service, but let me DL/install the games to my machine. Perfect for those yearly titles or something where you know you really only want to play through the campaign and leave it.
Ya i don't see this ever fully converting people who are into owning hardware and that group will always exist if not remain the majority. I do think this can and will be successful in winning over people who are mildly interested in gaming but don't care about it enough to invest hundreds into the latest console or PC gaming hardware.

I'm not sure what makes people think this will suddenly kill game ownership or reduce all games to cheap subscriptions. Publishers aren't going to suddenly give up making $80 per game to offer them for next to nothing in a subscription service. I think Stadia for the most part will just be an easier way to access games that will still be in that $60-80 per title range.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5141 posts
855 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 3:23 pm
Ya i don't see this ever fully converting people who are into owning hardware and that group will always exist if not remain the majority. I do think this can and will be successful in winning over people who are mildly interested in gaming but don't care about it enough to invest hundreds into the latest console or PC gaming hardware.

I'm not sure what makes people think this will suddenly kill game ownership or reduce all games to cheap subscriptions. Publishers aren't going to suddenly give up making $80 per game to offer them for next to nothing in a subscription service. I think Stadia for the most part will just be an easier way to access games that will still be in that $60-80 per title range.
See this is where I have some serious doubt.

It costs a lot of money to set up and run a cloud service like this, at least in my eyes I don't think google (or anyone else that comes along) is going to be content with letting users use their service for a one time fee. This is why I have so many questions on how they are going to sell this, you can practically rule out physical media as an option here and I also think most games will be layered under some sort of subscription. Be it a subscription to use the service + traditional point of sale purchases or tiers of subscriptions that cover different types of games or maybe a rental type service where you pay a fee to use the game for 1 month.

Having said that the movie industry has mostly transitioned to services that allow for one time purchases giving you the option to streaming wherever and whenever after the initial point of sale so it's not like its going to be completely unprecedented either if they go that route.

Having said that I honestly think if this takes off its going to usher in some major changes in the way we buy and consume videogames. If games all start to fall under a blanket subscription model and game ownership is taken away from us to allow for services like this I think that honestly truly suck and hopefully there is an option to have it both ways, on the flipside with re-sales all but eliminated and the standard 60$ AAA game tag eliminated maybe developers can go back to the days where they just crafted amazing 8-10 hour story games without all the excessive filler that most AAA games have nowadays to pad the game length to give the perception of value.

I do think Google is going to have an incredible tough time to gain footing here, if Microsoft and Sony launch a comparable service that leverages your existing game library and subscription services I don't see any reason why anyone would jump over to Google. That's not even an "if" at this point as Microsoft is set to release Xcloud later this year and Sony already has PSNow they would just need to open it up and improve upon it.
Aug 20, 2009
7052 posts
1735 upvotes
Grimsby
I think its important to note that gaming subs will be competing with other entertainment subs too. Our household is already overloaded subscriptions and I've actually started cancelling them, not looking to get more. All of those $9.99/month things add up.

Anyways I'm sure I'm not the target audience for this and fair enough. I just don't see Google sticking it out. Just today I heard they are killing off a bunch of Youtube Premium content and that's what, not even 2 years old? Google has an identity crisis and can never seem to stick with anything.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2130 posts
620 upvotes
Edmonton
Technically Google could still give publishers $60 USD for every game license that a user accesses. Then Google would just figure out how to cover all of those license and streaming fees on their own: monthly subs, micro-transactions, cuts of streaming subs, ads, tracking data, etc etc etc

The pricing model between consumer:google could be completely different between google:publisher
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6798 posts
2971 upvotes
Toronto
Keep in mind current gaming blanket subscriptions like Gamepass and EA Access only came to exist as a response by EA and MS trying to make up for declining sales of their own games in addition to offering a handful of third party and indie games that aren't exactly hot sellers. To me that's a totally different situation from Google trying to gain audience by offering a service where you can get all brand new games from all major publishers many of which don't have a problem making $60 per physical and digital sale.
If they're going to successfully attract games from those publishers to Stadia then a subscription model of any kind makes no sense to me. Publishers like Rockstar and Activision who break records make a billion dollars a year or whatever selling individual copies aren't going to ever put their games on a blanket subscription service. The only way those games show up on Stadia is by Google giving them the ability to match what they make on current platforms.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5141 posts
855 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 3:28 pm
Keep in mind current gaming blanket subscriptions like Gamepass and EA Access only came to exist as a response by EA and MS trying to make up for declining sales of their own games in addition to offering a handful of third party and indie games that aren't exactly hot sellers. To me that's a totally different situation from Google trying to gain audience by offering a service where you can get all brand new games from all major publishers many of which don't have a problem making $60 per physical and digital sale.
If they're going to successfully attract games from those publishers to Stadia then a subscription model of any kind makes no sense to me. Publishers like Rockstar and Activision who break records make a billion dollars a year or whatever selling individual copies aren't going to ever put their games on a blanket subscription service. The only way those games show up on Stadia is by Google giving them the ability to match what they make on current platforms.
Game Pass and EA Access are not streaming services though. You can download the games and play them as long as your subscription is active but its all being done locally. They were designed for the exact reason you described.

The barrier for entry here is so low that it will attract people that can't or are unwilling to drop 200+$ on a console. In that sense its not really trying to compete with XB1 and PS4 but trying to find a market that hasn't been tapped yet.

PSNow is the only comparison we have. It's been around for years and the only way to use that service is a costly subscription. You cannot buy games off this service.
If it It costs money to the provider every time someone even opens a game, I don't envision a scenario where they eat that cost after the initial point of sale.

I'm not saying google will require an expensive subscription that covers all games ala PSNOW but I think at a minimum it will require some sort of subscription to use the service.
I can't think of a single instance outside of movies where something reliant on the cloud in this capacity isn't tied to some subscription model and I'd be surprised if Stadia isnt any different.

I think when these services all get up and running pricing is going to be extremely messy.

I imagine we'll see a bunch of tiered subscriptions that covers the gauntlet from a basic subscription that'll allow you to play a few games that google is showcasing in the service and maybe give you access to buy/own/rent the rest of the games in the catalog at your request to a costly deluxe subscription that will give you access to all the games on the service and a bunch of tiers in between.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
17932 posts
16001 upvotes
Toronto
Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5141 posts
855 upvotes
calgary
sprung wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 9:49 am
So 12$/month + the cost of new games.

With only 31 games at launch, this thing is going to be DOA.

Especially with Microsoft launching a similar program with every xbox one game on it already.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1371 posts
645 upvotes
Vancouver
Just finished the stream, looks like Stadia is FREE, but the Pro package is $12 CAD. Seems reasonable to me, but I was a little underwhelmed. We'll have to see if Google's tech blows everyone else's away somehow.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6798 posts
2971 upvotes
Toronto
PharaohsVizier wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 12:32 pm
Just finished the stream, looks like Stadia is FREE, but the Pro package is $12 CAD. Seems reasonable to me, but I was a little underwhelmed. We'll have to see if Google's tech blows everyone else's away somehow.
The game prices don't surprise me at all and it's exactly what I expected but the ridiculous $12/month subscription is a surprise though not really if that part is optional and the basic service to play your games is free. $80 games with negligible to free cost of entry is exactly how I figured this would work and that's not really a bad deal imo assuming the games work as well if not better than fixed consoles and drop in price over time just the same.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2126 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
So basically, all I've saved is is the cost of the console/pc itself? Even at the low 1080p 'free' tier this is a raw deal. Consoles/pc have more than just gaming uses these days, and trading ownership/resale value for what looks like very little benefit just doesn't make sense. Terrible. Either offer a subscription service and bundle the games into it, or cut the cost of games down to rental prices, because this is essentially what it is.

Big thumbs down.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6798 posts
2971 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:13 pm
Either offer a subscription service and bundle the games into it, or cut the cost of games down to rental prices, because this is essentially what it is.
How is buying a digital title on PSN or Xbox for $80 any different than paying the same price on your Stadia account? What makes the Stadia purchase a "rental" comparison?
Aug 20, 2009
7052 posts
1735 upvotes
Grimsby
You can play your game when PSN/XBL is offline as long as you've launched it once before.

Google kills projects ALL the time. Have a gander. They just killed Trips today which was an awesome app and they are going to kill Google Play Music later this month. It's pretty easy to understand why people might be a little iffy about trusting their gaming library to the Identity Crisis Company.

At best you're just hoping this will be "as good" as a console which it probably won't be. You're introducing input latency, compression artifacts and other nonsense into the equation. That's not to mention the bandwidth usage and people attempting to do this over their home wi-fi.

But I get it, I am not the target market for this. I just don't know who is. The person who isn't a big gamer and doesn't buy a console probably doesn't have this on their radar anyway.