• Jun 7th, 2019 9:47 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3688 posts
898 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:34 pm
You can play your game when PSN/XBL is offline as long as you've launched it once before.

Google kills projects ALL the time. Have a gander. They just killed Trips today which was an awesome app and they are going to kill Google Play Music later this month. It's pretty easy to understand why people might be a little iffy about trusting their gaming library to the Identity Crisis Company.

At best you're just hoping this will be "as good" as a console which it probably won't be. You're introducing input latency, compression artifacts and other nonsense into the equation. That's not to mention the bandwidth usage and people attempting to do this over their home wi-fi.

But I get it, I am not the target market for this. I just don't know who is. The person who isn't a big gamer and doesn't buy a console probably doesn't have this on their radar anyway.
I can see this being a big deal for people who only play Madden or NBA 2k or NHL, and to spend on a console to play one game a year just doesn't make sense for them. These people probably aren't as concerned as hardcore gamers about input lag or compression artifacts. Many may not even know what that means.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6780 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto
Personally I'm keeping an open mind about it because I'm not crazy about expensive consoles with subpar 30fps performance and not every game I want to play gets released on PC. If they can sort out latency and image quality to not be perceivable then having the option to play certain console releases at 1080p/60fps with no hardware purchase appeals to me but I need to see it in action first. I've had unlimited internet for years now so the bandwidth isn't an issue for me.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2117 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:22 pm
How is buying a digital title on PSN or Xbox for $80 any different than paying the same price on your Stadia account? What makes the Stadia purchase a "rental" comparison?
This is really more of a pc answer but having the files on your hdd prevents there being a time when you can't access them at all due to games being de-listed or publishers going out of business. Personally I think the whole digital thing is very slippery ground where consumers are concerned, since so much is out of your hands than simply buying something and having something that will work so long as you have it and streaming pushes it even further. Stadia offers nothing beyond subtracting the cost of the console/pc itself, and in that case I really don't see the potential benefits to customers. Generally speaking physical still is the way to go, and digital has been tolerated because of the deep, deep sales we get. Unless Google is prepared to step up, there's just no reason to buy into what they're selling now.

Lower prices/guarantee I'm playing at 4k/ultra everything settings, and even then you'll still have to deal with your internet and how it performs under the stress. I just fail to see one part of the thing that's appealing in any way.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
Aug 20, 2009
7043 posts
1727 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:13 pm
Personally I'm keeping an open mind about it because I'm not crazy about expensive consoles with subpar 30fps performance and not every game I want to play gets released on PC. If they can sort out latency and image quality to not be perceivable then having the option to play certain console releases at 1080p/60fps with no hardware purchase appeals to me but I need to see it in action first. I've had unlimited internet for years now so the bandwidth isn't an issue for me.
I doubt the next gen consoles will be 30fps anymore so you can finally put that one to bed in the future I hope.

For me its more about trust - Google has zero credibility in the gaming industry and they don't seem to have any vision or overall plan beyond "we hear there is money in gaming now". I'm not buying games on their platform when there is no assurance they won't shutter the entire project in a year for <reasons>. Anyways I won't harp on it all day but I am taking a year long "wait and see" with this stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6780 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto
BYan wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:26 pm
This is really more of a pc answer but having the files on your hdd prevents there being a time when you can't access them at all due to games being de-listed or publishers going out of business. Personally I think the whole digital thing is very slippery ground where consumers are concerned, since so much is out of your hands than simply buying something and having something that will work so long as you have it and streaming pushes it even further.
I can see how this is a concern for people who primarily purchase physical but having gone almost entirely digital and being able to count the physical games I've purchased this past generation on 1 hand, it really makes no difference to me. Digital launchers and publishers going under and losing my games would suck for sure but I'm also confident my purchases are with publishers where this won't happen and in the unlikely case it does...I have no idea but I also won't lose sleep over it with how little I spend per game.

That said I wouldn't spend anything close to $80 to try games on Stadia and will wait for deep discounts as usual but I do see a major benefit in performance over traditional consoles if it works as intended.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6780 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:45 pm
I doubt the next gen consoles will be 30fps anymore so you can finally put that one to bed in the future I hope.

For me its more about trust - Google has zero credibility in the gaming industry and they don't seem to have any vision or overall plan beyond "we hear there is money in gaming now". I'm not buying games on their platform when there is no assurance they won't shutter the entire project in a year for <reasons>. Anyways I won't harp on it all day but I am taking a year long "wait and see" with this stuff.
maybe but traditionally consoles have always prioritized pushing extra visual detail over performance and either way it's not going to be cheap. Assuming the PS5 launches in the usual $500 range I'll be closely watching how new releases on the Stadia free tier stack up in comparison. If the same games look and play as well if not better than on PS5 I'd rather save my $500 and buy the handful of console games I want to play on Stadia instead.

Trusting Google is definitely a valid concern and I'll also likely wait at least a year if not longer to see how it plays out and for games to get deep discounts.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1371 posts
645 upvotes
Vancouver
I've been excited for this since they did Project Stream. The thing was that it ran with no hassle and I put it a lot more hours than I would have on my computer (which may not be a great thing). I tried out AC Odyssey without installing, started right away. Got hooked, so I kept playing. No bootup, no load time made it easy to say I'll do one quest and move on. The best part about it was that I was able to quickly pick up the same game, same save on my Surface Pro on a lunch break or something and squeeze in some game time. Convenience is what they're selling, not great for every game, but I can see myself picking up the random RPG here and there.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2117 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:48 pm
I can see how this is a concern for people who primarily purchase physical... etc.
Oh I agree wholeheartedly. I'm a pc/switch guy so my collection is basically all digital barring a few switch carts. What I mean is streaming is generally even less reliable in terms of ownership than digital, since you don't even have the files on hand anymore and leave everything up in the hands of the publisher/service provider. My point is Stadia essentially does nothing to offset that huge, huge disadvantage, since you're still buying games at msrp - either give us discounts on the games or do a subscription model where we get access to a whole library with a monthly/yearly fee. Then it might be a viable alternative, since there are admittedly those games we would have bought and traded in later that aren't keepers, and those would ideally be where we might want to Stadia.

Their big selling point is convenience, but they're not going all in with the idea. Any screen anywhere is cool, having to still pay $80 per game for that is probably not going to win people over. Would YOU netflix if they got rid of the monthly fee, but charged you $20 per movie that you can 'keep'?
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.