Page 3 of 3

Re: Google Maps now available in App Store

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 10:22 am
by flyz
miss_swan wrote: Google maps is just better .... Just deal with it.
No one is better than Apple.

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 10:32 am
by ceredon
desidealer49 wrote: Meh, may be it is because i don't live in England or Australia, but after comparing gmaps on S3 and apple maps on iPhone 5 side by side every where i have gone, i have no real incentive to load google maps on the iPhone /shrug.
I like streetview, so I grabbed it. It's a good app. Same as you, I haven't had a problem with the Apple maps, so I'll continue to use those primarily. I like having multiple options and have always had a few third party nav apps, so I never expected I would lose much with Apple's maps and didn't.

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 10:45 am
by sexyj
lol @ all the apple fanboys still trying to claim apple maps is fine

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 2:14 pm
by time space
Details of Google's underhanded dealings are starting to come to light:

[QUOTE]What if Google was strong-arming Apple? Google needs to collect user location data to serve up location-based ads, so what if Apple was protecting me by defaulting to not share user data with Google, who has a profit motive to shove their ugly ads in my face? I could see Google saying that’s a deal breaker for them....

Google makes money by selling ads that target us based on the information they collect as we use their services. Apple not wanting to grant such access to Google is easy to understand as well. For one thing, Apple sincerely values the privacy of its users more than Google does. Remember the thing with magazine app subscriptions — where they wanted Apple to provide them with personal information about subscribers, and Apple wouldn’t allow it?[/QUOTE]

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 2:28 pm
by kieum90
time space wrote: Details of Google's underhanded dealings are starting to come to light:
So you're saying that because only Apple themselves should sell your data instead of sharing it with Google is a better choice?

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 2:29 pm
by VertigoM
Great news. So when is Android available on the App store?! :D

Google maps >>> Apple maps

Anyone trying to claim otherwise is just embarrassing themselves.

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 2:59 pm
by rems
kieum90 wrote: So you're saying that because only Apple themselves should sell your data instead of sharing it with Google is a better choice?
:lol:

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 3:29 pm
by MkmBandit
ceredon wrote: No, my head isn't twisted.
My post wasn't at all aimed at you. I don't consider you a fanzoid, at least you're rational and critical thinking. Infact I enjoy disagreeing with you.

I was attempting to entice a specific user to to give credit where it's due, that Google Maps runs better on iOS. Headblown. But I think 'said' user missed the point. On the other hand that proves my point further, that blind fanboy-ism devolves a person of any sort of rationality.

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 3:29 pm
by ceredon
kieum90 wrote: So you're saying that because only Apple themselves should sell your data instead of sharing it with Google is a better choice?
Better that neither should sell your data. But google's entire business is your data, so...

Posted: Dec 14th, 2012 6:42 pm
by time space
That is correct.

Posted: Dec 15th, 2012 7:27 am
by time space
Here is an interesting analysis of Google's failed attempt at forcing Apple to compromise their customers' privacy:

[QUOTE]OK, let me get this straight.

[INDENT]1. Apple and Google have a falling out over the built-in iOS Maps app. Among the problems: Google wanted more access to user information and Apple wanted the app to provide vector graphics and turn-by-turn directions the way Google’s maps on Android do.

2. Apple cuts Google out and rewrites the Maps app with vector graphics and turn-by-turn. The data set behind the new app, however, isn’t as good as Google’s and the new Maps doesn’t have Street View or public transit directions.

3. Three months later, Google puts out its own maps app with turn-by-turn, vector graphics, Street View, and public transit directions. It is widely hailed as a great addition to the dominant and every-growing portfolio of iOS apps.

4. Apple is considered to have come out of this with a black eye.[/INDENT]

I don’t see how Item 4 follows from Items 1-3. iOS now has a free maps app that’s every bit as good as what’s on Android. Google Maps is almost certainly collecting more user information than Maps was before, but it isn’t nearly as much information as it would be if Google Maps were a system app. Also, because it isn’t a system app, whatever data Google Maps collects, it isn’t getting it by way of Apple.

Sounds to me like playing hardball got Apple most of what it wanted. Reminds me of Flash.

[INDENT]- I suspect most iPhone users will continue to use the built-in Maps app because it’s already right there and it’s integrated with Siri, Contacts, etc. Yes, Apple will lose a certain amount of data collection, especially with regard to points of interest, but it was always going to be behind Google in that area. The raw map data (getting addresses right) is, I’ve read, less dependent on users.

- Neither Apple nor Google make maps for the sake of making maps—they’re not Rand McNally. Apple wants maps as a feature to sell its phones; Google makes them to gather information on us that it can sell. A separate Google Maps app is a compromise that gives the iPhone two good free maps apps and allows Google to collect more info than it could before.

- In the original setup, Google controlled the iOS system maps by controlling the data. Apple has broken that monopoly with only three months of inconvenience to that part of its customer base that needed what only Google provides.

- Personally, I doubt I’ll use Google Maps except for Street View (which I really missed—there’s nothing like that point of view when you’re going to an unfamiliar area). Because I live in the U.S., where Apple’s mapping data is generally good, and I seldom use it for finding restaurants and other points of interest.[/INDENT]

Overall, I see this as a win for Apple and a lesser win for Google. More important, it’s a big win for iPhone users.[/QUOTE]

Posted: Dec 15th, 2012 5:23 pm
by time space
Another good point via Daring Fireball:

[INDENT]"Benoit Maison, in reference to my belief that Apple values user privacy much more than does Google:

[INDENT]'It’s easier to care about your users’ privacy when your business model does not depend on eroding it.'[/INDENT]

Agreed. There’s no reason to be anything but cynical about both Apple’s and Google’s motives — with regard to mapping, and everything. Profit. The difference with regard to privacy is that Apple profits almost solely through the sale of hardware products. Google profits almost solely through targeted advertising.

I happen to think that Google’s executive leadership, Eric Schmidt in particular, holds some creepy views on privacy. But I’m not asking anyone to believe Apple’s superior (in my view) stance on privacy is particularly noble. As Maison tweeted, it’s easier for Apple to protect, rather than exploit, users’ privacy because such a stance aligns with their business model."
[/INDENT]

Posted: Dec 15th, 2012 5:37 pm
by X820
Wow, lets stop this stupid fanboys comparison on which one is better and whatnot. Grow up geez.