Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
supersaiyan wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 1:09 pm
Australian Police Warn Against Apple Maps, Citing “Potentially Life Threatening” Misdirection
Police in Victoria have urged motorists to avoid the use of Apple Maps, warning that faulty directions on the much-criticized app have left motorists stranded in the Australian outback for up to 24 hours without food or water.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/12/09/austra ... direction/
HAHA
Australian police: flawed Google Maps putting people’s lives at risk, too
Police in Mildura have had to conduct six rescues in recent weeks, after through the Murray Sunset National Park.

Now police in Colac, west of Melbourne, say faults with Google maps are putting people’s lives at risk along the Great Ocean Road and in the southern Otways.

Google is apparently directing vehicles and tourists down Wild Dog Road.

The problem is, that’s a one-way track and not built for heavy traffic.

Sergeant Nick Buenen said:

My issue is it’s a significant safety issue for tourists [and] locals, who are getting the wrong information from their GPSs. My concern is that one day we’re going to be at the coroners court [being asked] well what did you do about it.
I might have echoed your "HAHA", but unlike the Apple story, Google Maps is not just "potentially life threatening", police have actually had to conduct rescue missions to save Google Maps users because of the dangerous information Google is spreading.
Jan 22, 2010
703 posts
70 upvotes
NARNIA!, jk Toronto
oakjefferson wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 12:47 pm
sorry, I mean Ipad available?
Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
8978 posts
238 upvotes
I guess having cr@ppy maps forces Apple to play nice haha
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
3821 posts
329 upvotes
Barrys Bay
time space wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 3:06 pm

I might have echoed your "HAHA", but unlike the Apple story, Google Maps is not just "potentially life threatening", police have actually had to conduct rescue missions to save Google Maps users because of the dangerous information Google is spreading.

I love both apple and google maps, each with issues in my area. Apple maps, has plotted ATV trails as Roads in my area......trust me need a good 4x4 for some of them :p even 2x4 ATV's have issues. And then google maps, has a road to an island here, on wrong side of island and from a private driveway on other end of lake ( thinking may have been a ice fishing road/route saved my someone and uploaded ) but official road does not exist.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760 ... on-transit

"Compared to Apple's Maps app, Google Maps clearly wins on the data front, with complete mass transit directions and fewer of the accuracy issues that have plagued the built-in app. What's more intriguing is that Google Maps also matches (or beats, depending on your taste) Apple Maps in its speed, design, and overall aesthetics. It's the combination of massive and accurate data with a well-made app that makes Google's offering so compelling.

Google Maps for iOS is the best-designed maps app on any platform and challenges even Google Maps on Android for speed. That sounds like hyperbole, but on the iPhone 5 the new Google Maps app seems faster and is definitely better-designed than even Google Maps on Android. If Apple CEO Tim Cook is looking for examples of how to do a maps app right on the iPhone — or on any platform — Google has provided the answer."

So Apple fanzoids, your head in a twist yet?
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2003
4654 posts
170 upvotes
time space wrote:
Dec 13th, 2012 3:06 pm

Google maps is just better .... Just deal with it.
He .... looka lika MAN!

I tell you every ting!

----------------------------------------------------

If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
MkmBandit wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 2:17 am
http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760 ... on-transit

"Compared to Apple's Maps app, Google Maps clearly wins on the data front, with complete mass transit directions and fewer of the accuracy issues that have plagued the built-in app. What's more intriguing is that Google Maps also matches (or beats, depending on your taste) Apple Maps in its speed, design, and overall aesthetics. It's the combination of massive and accurate data with a well-made app that makes Google's offering so compelling.

Google Maps for iOS is the best-designed maps app on any platform and challenges even Google Maps on Android for speed. That sounds like hyperbole, but on the iPhone 5 the new Google Maps app seems faster and is definitely better-designed than even Google Maps on Android. If Apple CEO Tim Cook is looking for examples of how to do a maps app right on the iPhone — or on any platform — Google has provided the answer."

So Apple fanzoids, your head in a twist yet?
No, my head isn't twisted. The new google maps apps is superior in many ways. This should be expected, given how long Google's been doing mapping and how much they have invested into it. Apple is very new to it, and since mapping so driven so much by user data, only an idiot would expect it to be superior out the door.

But given just how bad the old google supported app was, what choice did Apple have? Concede to whatever demands Google was making, regardless of how intrusive and extreme? In the end, Apple got from google almost exactly what they wanted. They got an app with the full google mapping dataset, with TbT and voice directions and vector based maps. Apple users now have two free options for mapping. I have yet to run into a single problem with the new Apple maps app, but I understand it is possible. Apple's app will improve. Google's map will improve. win-win.

On a side note: after playing with the google app, I cannot believe how often it asks for me to sign in. When you first launch it, it requests a login. If you decline, whenever you do something like search an address, it pesters you to sign in again. I understand Google's obsessive need to collect data on everyone, but seriously, F*** off once I have declined.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
8276 posts
1818 upvotes
Calgary
ceredon wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 8:56 am

But given just how bad the old google supported app was, what choice did Apple have? Concede to whatever demands Google was making, regardless of how intrusive and extreme? In the end, Apple got from google almost exactly what they wanted. They got an app with the full google mapping dataset, with TbT and voice directions and vector based maps. Apple users now have two free options for mapping. I have yet to run into a single problem with the new Apple maps app, but I understand it is possible. Apple's app will improve. Google's map will improve. win-win.
Wrong, Apple was responsible for the original Google Maps on iOS, not Google.

and Wrong again, it's not a win win when Tim Cook has to apologize to the public repeatedly, when the head of iOS Scott Forstall is fired, and when the company suffered from ridicules by its customers and others.

Not saying Apple Map is a fatal mistake, but to label it as win win is daydreaming on your part. Google wins this round handily.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
b166er1337 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 9:05 am
Wrong, Apple was responsible for the original Google Maps on iOS, not Google.
Umm, yes, Apple did the UI. Google supplied the tiles, the routing info, the mapping data and the entirety of the back end mapping service. Hence, it was a "Google supported app", exactly as I said. The features that were missing (TbT, Voice nav and vector based maps) would have to come from google, so if Google decline and Apple stayed with the google supported app, it would have remained handicapped.
b166er1337 wrote:
and Wrong again, it's not a win win when Tim Cook has to apologize to its customers repeatedly, when the head of iOS Scott Forstall is fired, and when the company suffered from ridicules by its customers and others.
Forstall was likely going to be on his way out anyway. Apple had already brought back Mansfield and had begun other restructuring (Federrighi and Riccio being promoted months or weeks before iOS came out) that in hindsight were pretty clearly leading up to Forstall being tossed, well before the new Apple maps came out.

Yes, Apple took a beating on it, but they were already taking a beating on the how far behind their old mapping app was.

b166er1337 wrote:
Not saying Apple Map is a fatal mistake, but to label it as win win is daydreaming on your part. Google wins this round handily.
I would agree that Google benefitted from this situation more than Apple. Users benefitted even more than google, in the end, as they now have both options.

Yes they got egg on their face and took a beating in PR, but that will eventually fade. Apple had a google provided mapping solution that was falling way behind in a critical area on their OS. Now they have their own, which will improve over time and one that is more modular so they can swap backend providers in and out (much like Siri) and not be tied and beholden to one company that will never have their best interests in mind (nor should they). The mapping issues didn't seem to hurt their sales, their own mapping app is improving and gives them more operating freedom and control and their users have a high quality alternative from google if they want. Doesn't sound like a terrible loss for Apple and actually an over all win. Their users win and google wins too.

win-win
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2010
2635 posts
161 upvotes
Meh, may be it is because i don't live in England or Australia, but after comparing gmaps on S3 and apple maps on iPhone 5 side by side every where i have gone, i have no real incentive to load google maps on the iPhone /shrug.
Owner of hunks of metal, silicon, glass, plastic with 1s and 0s and some electrons powering them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
5833 posts
232 upvotes
miss_swan wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 3:16 am
Google maps is just better .... Just deal with it.
No one is better than Apple.
signature edited for rule violations
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
desidealer49 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2012 10:18 am
Meh, may be it is because i don't live in England or Australia, but after comparing gmaps on S3 and apple maps on iPhone 5 side by side every where i have gone, i have no real incentive to load google maps on the iPhone /shrug.
I like streetview, so I grabbed it. It's a good app. Same as you, I haven't had a problem with the Apple maps, so I'll continue to use those primarily. I like having multiple options and have always had a few third party nav apps, so I never expected I would lose much with Apple's maps and didn't.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 10, 2007
9159 posts
796 upvotes
lol @ all the apple fanboys still trying to claim apple maps is fine
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
161 upvotes
Details of Google's underhanded dealings are starting to come to light:
What if Google was strong-arming Apple? Google needs to collect user location data to serve up location-based ads, so what if Apple was protecting me by defaulting to not share user data with Google, who has a profit motive to shove their ugly ads in my face? I could see Google saying that’s a deal breaker for them....

Google makes money by selling ads that target us based on the information they collect as we use their services. Apple not wanting to grant such access to Google is easy to understand as well. For one thing, Apple sincerely values the privacy of its users more than Google does. Remember the thing with magazine app subscriptions — where they wanted Apple to provide them with personal information about subscribers, and Apple wouldn’t allow it?
× < >