Google Nexus S Boot Loop Problem

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2013 2:35 pm
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
491 posts
9 upvotes

Google Nexus S Boot Loop Problem

To the moderator, pls. feel free to move this to the proper thread if it's a repost....I need help on my Samsung Nexus S phone.

My Samsung Google Nexus S phone has this 'boot loop' problem where the 'Google' logo and the 'X' animation gets displayed in sequence in an endless loop when booting. In other words, my phone just keeps on rebooting. I didn't hack or root the phone. I am not that techie. My gut feeling tells me that there was probably an Android Jellybean update via 3G and the update was not able to finish due to bad connection. I'm using WIND. The problem started 2 days ago when I was at work. WIND connection at my workplace isn't the greatest...

My phone's with me for almost 2 yrs. I brought it yesterday to one of WIND's warranty centers and they were not able to fix it via the Recovery option on the phone (to get here, you have to press the Power button and Up volume controls at the same time for a few seconds). After several tries, they gave up. They told me that if my phone was within warranty, they could send it to their central repair center to have it fixed but since I'm out of warranty, I'm on my own now. :( Again, I didn't do any hack to the phone. It just went into this 'BOOT LOOP' on it's own.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? How can this be fixed?

Should I go back to WIND and plead my case? It's unfortunate that they're not willing to help me even though I'm still under contract with them and considering that I didn't even do anything to the phone that could've caused sucn an issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy message. Thanks !
9 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4719 posts
1787 upvotes
Richmond Hill
You could -probably- flash a factory image using Odin. Its a fairly easy procedure.

Factory image - Nexus S i9020T and i9023, NOT i9020A - ver. 4.1.2
Odin 3.04

You might need the Samsung USB drivers and ADB drivers (afaik, these are two different drivers).

Install drivers, install odin, start up odin, connect phone, check off 'PDA', browse and select the .tar file, flash

I havent played around with my Nexus S in a while - it should work, but no guarantees.
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
491 posts
9 upvotes
aeba7 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 12:18 am
You could -probably- flash a factory image using Odin. Its a fairly easy procedure.

Factory image - Nexus S i9020T and i9023, NOT i9020A - ver. 4.1.2
Odin 3.04

You might need the Samsung USB drivers and ADB drivers (afaik, these are two different drivers).

Install drivers, install odin, start up odin, connect phone, check off 'PDA', browse and select the .tar file, flash

I havent played around with my Nexus S in a while - it should work, but no guarantees.
Thank you so much ! Will check it out !
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11436 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
I have several nexus products. I haven't heard of Odin being used on these products. I suggest going to xda forums and picking a canned package you are comfortable with and using it. I use wugfresh which is pretty good. You would only need something like the wugfresh package if you need to reinstall a factory rom. According to this thread you may be able to get by with just deleting cache.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1735155
[OP]
Mar 2, 2006
491 posts
9 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 10:30 am
I have several nexus products. I haven't heard of Odin being used on these products. I suggest going to xda forums and picking a canned package you are comfortable with and using it. I use wugfresh which is pretty good. You would only need something like the wugfresh package if you need to reinstall a factory rom. According to this thread you may be able to get by with just deleting cache.

Thanks for your feedback !

When I tried to follow the steps below, I couldn't do step 4. From Step 3, I was able to select the 'Recovery' option but after that, a 'dead Droid' logo showed up on the screen (which according to my research is normal during the recovery process). After the recovery's done, the 'dead Droid' logo disappeared and my phone rebooted again but then the original problem wasn't solved (Google and 'X' logo was being displayed in boot loop again) :( . I didn't see the option to 'wipe cache' at all after performing Step 3. What am I missing here?

1. Turn off your phone
2. Press and hold volume down and power button at the same time.
3. Youll see an android logo. Now tick your volume down to navigate to recovery select by pressing power button
4 in recovery use volume rockers also to navigate through options and power button also to select.
5. Now select wipe cache. I think stock recovery have wipe dalvik too. So wipe it too.
6. Reboot
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14312 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
will888 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 10:30 am

Odin is the best way to go in these situations on a Samsung phone.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11436 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 1:35 pm
Odin is the best way to go in these situations on a Samsung phone.
Learn something everyday... I always see the xda folks refer to using fastboot to install factory roms and to do the initial rooting. Then it is cwm to install various roms.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11436 posts
2108 upvotes
Toronto
esal wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 1:07 pm
Thanks for your feedback !

When I tried to follow the steps below, I couldn't do step 4. From Step 3, I was able to select the 'Recovery' option but after that, a 'dead Droid' logo showed up on the screen (which according to my research is normal during the recovery process). After the recovery's done, the 'dead Droid' logo disappeared and my phone rebooted again but then the original problem wasn't solved (Google and 'X' logo was being displayed in boot loop again) :( . I didn't see the option to 'wipe cache' at all after performing Step 3. What am I missing here?

1. Turn off your phone
2. Press and hold volume down and power button at the same time.
3. Youll see an android logo. Now tick your volume down to navigate to recovery select by pressing power button
4 in recovery use volume rockers also to navigate through options and power button also to select.
5. Now select wipe cache. I think stock recovery have wipe dalvik too. So wipe it too.
6. Reboot
Don't know what else to say other than maybe your system is corrupted beyond a simple cache wipe. If this worked, you would have been able to save all your apps and data. Hopefully it is not hardware related. Anyway, I had a boot loop problem occur on my N7 and I had to reinstall the rom to clear it, lost everything of course. Take a look at this guys site, this is a very simple package to use. It does auto downloading and everything, as simple as mouse clicks. Have fun.

http://www.wugfresh.com/
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
11288 posts
724 upvotes
Toronto
esal wrote:
Feb 10th, 2013 1:27 am
Thank you so much ! Will check it out !
In order to use ODIN, you need to get the phone into download mode, not recovery mode.

ODIN is used on Samsung phones in order to update various parts of the OS.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2012
1191 posts
46 upvotes
NORTH YORK
go on XDA
root your phone
install a recovery
use ADB to back up your files
flash a custom ROM
????
profit