Cell Phones

Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL discussion thread - Released October 9th (updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 12:48 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Menace wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 2:42 pm
Wireless charging isn't a deal breaker for me. It is nice to have it for free, I wouldn't paying for it anyway.
Even if I got it for free, I would not use it. Using it will cost you more in the long run with higher electricity bills.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
That's why he's becoming one of my top favorites...

Real review. Right on top he says it's not worth it if you have 2.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Aug 24, 2011
880 posts
285 upvotes
Montreal
bembol wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 10:49 pm
That's why he's becoming one of my top favorites...

Real review. Right on top he says it's not worth it if you have 2.

Ok what's the verdict. Can't watch.

Is this phone disappointment or not?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2009
4428 posts
664 upvotes
Montreal
mcg wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2018 10:04 pm
RIP. I would. $1000 for an android better be perfect. It's going to drop in value by 40% by next April.
Only iPhones hold up their value decrntly after a year or two. I cant even sell my pristine S8 plus for half of the retail value of 1200 after a year and half. Plus apps are so much mote refined and stable on iOS.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
joshua18 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 1:24 am
Ok what's the verdict. Can't watch.

Is this phone disappointment or not?
It’s a 54 minute rant.

Verdict. He likes the phone, would not buy if you already have previous generation. Missing too many features found in other phones for the price.
Aug 27, 2006
638 posts
217 upvotes
Delta
Saniokca wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 10:37 pm
"Charging rapidly" it definitely isn't on the google stand (1% in 7 minutes - from 57% to 58%). Also phone is getting quite hot all the time.

Edit: now it says "60% - charging rapidly (1hr., 39 min. until full). That's called "rapidly"?.
Edit2: 61% charging rapidly - 2 hours until full

To make it clear - I even took the case off the phone to see if that would make a difference.
I had something similar happen yesterday when unboxing my Pixel. (I have 2 Pixel 3's & two official charging stands.)

I plopped it on the stand, but it only gained 1-2% over 20min. I plugged it in and it began charging but still not as fast as i'd expect. Maybe 15-30min later, I plopped it on my other wireless stand and it definitely was "charging rapidly" at a rate I'd expect. I need to run additional testing, but I suspect that when i originally put it on the stand and it wasn't charging, my pixel was running at max speed still processing my migration (downloading apps/pictures/settings/etc). It felt quite warm during this time which would back that theory up.

My opinion, try the stand again when you know it isn't running anything intense in the background.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Sep 23, 2011
73 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone using the phone with Bluetooth headphones? My Bose QC35 II keeps having hiccups when I watch prime/netflix. When I close all other apps it sometimes gets better.
Dec 21, 2005
127 posts
29 upvotes
Ordered Oct 20, P3XL clearly white still no updates, ETA said today but it hasn't even been dispatched! Anyone else waiting or did mine fall into a black hole?
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Gee wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 2:54 am

Even if I got it for free, I would not use it. Using it will cost you more in the long run with higher electricity bills.
How? Or do you mean people will be inclined to charge their phone more frequently?

FWIW I've not used my fast charger once since I got a wireless pad in July. For me at least, you just can't beat the convenience of setting your phone down when you get home, and taking it off before bed to get a full charge. (it only drains 3-5% overnight anyway so it's negligible)
cn_habs wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 7:20 am
Only iPhones hold up their value decrntly after a year or two. I cant even sell my pristine S8 plus for half of the retail value of 1200 after a year and half. Plus apps are so much mote refined and stable on iOS.
That's why you never buy an Android phone for full retail. Either stay one gen behind to reap massive savings, or wait for a good deal (at least 25% off) on RFD/Swappa/eBay so you've already absorbed most of the depreciation.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17139 posts
1458 upvotes
Woodbridge
One. You've got to pay to play.

Taking in the account that I got the Samsung IconX Wireless Buds for free and $205 for a POS phone I got for free. I paid less than $1,000 for my Note 9 instead of the $1,500 (taxes in). I'm very happy even if it drops Black Friday I have no regrets. Three months for an addict is an eternity. LOL

Second. I agree how can anyone not love the convenience of Wireless Charging.

I saw The Verge's Night Shot review and even though I'm not into taking pics, don't get the obsession I will give credit to Google. I love this feature.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29106 posts
4229 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
arkane wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 1:03 pm
How? Or do you mean people will be inclined to charge their phone more frequently?
My comment was personal. I would not personally use it. I have no problem plugging a cable into my phone.

I’m not discouraging anyone else from using it.
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
I was asking how would using wireless charging end up costing more in the long run due to higher electricity bills.
Aug 18, 2018
452 posts
251 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
bembol wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 4:21 pm
One. You've got to pay to play.

Taking in the account that I got the Samsung IconX Wireless Buds for free and $205 for a POS phone I got for free. I paid less than $1,000 for my Note 9 instead of the $1,500 (taxes in). I'm very happy even if it drops Black Friday I have no regrets. Three months for an addict is an eternity. LOL

Second. I agree how can anyone not love the convenience of Wireless Charging.

I saw The Verge's Night Shot review and even though I'm not into taking pics, don't get the obsession I will give credit to Google. I love this feature.
Yep that's exactly how you do it. I also got my Note 9 for $792 USD ($762 if the rebate comes through) whereas retail price would've been $1149 USD + tax. This time next year, the phone will still be worth $600-650 for a very normal 20-25% depreciation.

But you're right, gotta pay to play if you don't wanna stay one gen behind or have the patience to wait for a good deal.
Oct 5, 2009
709 posts
45 upvotes
Regina
tietherope wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 7:53 pm
There's some Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals announced for the US. Has anyone seen anything for Canada?

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/11/1 ... s-pixel-3/
On the Canadian Google store - Pixel 2 XL now starts at $899 ($260 off regular). nothing yet on Pixel 3

https://store.google.com/ca/collection/offers
Last edited by Shiftup on Nov 15th, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.