Cell Phones

Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL discussion thread - Released October 9th (updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 12:48 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15063 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 8:53 am
Pure Android OS isn't optimized at all?
Android obviously has optimizations in it. But I don't think Google works as hard to make sure Android is super smooth on older devices, the way that Apple does (of course, Apple often achieves that by simply not offering some new features).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6689 posts
415 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wearysky wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 10:19 am
Android obviously has optimizations in it. But I don't think Google works as hard to make sure Android is super smooth on older devices, the way that Apple does (of course, Apple often achieves that by simply not offering some new features).
I see. Well, Google is planning to offer at least 3 years of support which is how long I have had my 6s plus for. I'll see by that time if I'll get another phone but I'm sure it can last more than that.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15063 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Oct 15th, 2018 12:08 pm
I see. Well, Google is planning to offer at least 3 years of support which is how long I have had my 6s plus for. I'll see by that time if I'll get another phone but I'm sure it can last more than that.
My Nexus 6P was running great after 2 years worth of updates. The nice thing about Android (particularly Google's own devices) is that if Stock Android ain't cutting it for you, there's always third party options available in the dev community. Particularly for pared down/faster versions.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Oct 1, 2012
41 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Pre ordered mine. My iphone 6 is dying even with the latest ios update. Its about time I guess.

My delivery date is Nov 28 - 29. Any chance that is true? or does it usually get delayed?
Apr 18, 2008
875 posts
265 upvotes
Mississauga
150dpi wrote:
Oct 16th, 2018 2:49 pm
My delivery date is Nov 28 - 29. Any chance that is true? or does it usually get delayed?
When did you order? I placed the order the day of the announcement and my Clearly White 64 GB XL is coming Nov 5-6.
Oct 1, 2012
41 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
I tried preordering it on Friday. But the google stand was out of stock so I had to wait until it was back before putting in the preorder to take advantage of the promo... Which was yesterday...

I hope it doesn’t get delayed too much... I have vacation plans 2nd week of December.
Apr 18, 2008
875 posts
265 upvotes
Mississauga
150dpi wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 9:23 am
I tried preordering it on Friday. But the google stand was out of stock so I had to wait until it was back before putting in the preorder to take advantage of the promo... Which was yesterday...

I hope it doesn’t get delayed too much... I have vacation plans 2nd week of December.
From past experience, their shipping estimates are pretty accurate. I've ordered a few phones and cases throughout the years from the Google store. I think they ship with UPS or FedEx so the potential Canada Post disruption shouldn't delay shipment.
Oct 1, 2012
41 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Saturate wrote:
Oct 17th, 2018 5:02 pm
From past experience, their shipping estimates are pretty accurate. I've ordered a few phones and cases throughout the years from the Google store. I think they ship with UPS or FedEx so the potential Canada Post disruption shouldn't delay shipment.
Thank you! Good news!
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
5411 posts
1284 upvotes
GTA
When you take your hate for notch one step too far...

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
2450 posts
175 upvotes
Markham
rebel_rfd wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 9:46 am
The only promising aspects of Pixel 3XL are the AI features but some we won't even get, like the Call Screen.

Touchwiz has come a long way and with more users out there, there are is also a lot of customization available.
That's about the only tempting me to switch.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17140 posts
1459 upvotes
Woodbridge
Who makes phone calls these days . Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

I agree it is pretty neat.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Jun 1, 2009
91 posts
10 upvotes
Chilliwack
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Oct 20th, 2018 11:57 am
Is call screen EVER coming to Canada? It's pretty neat.
Is it not built into the Pixel 3?