Cell Phones

Google Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL discussion thread - Released October 9th (updated)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 21st, 2018 12:48 pm
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
Between the poor mic quality when recording video and the fact the 10W wireless charging is proprietary to the Pixel Stand and upcoming "Made For Google" chargers, I'm definitely not supporting them this time around.

(not to mention just how easily the Pixel 3 scuffs).
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
11178 posts
1332 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Sooo... the only good thing about the Pixel is the camera.

iphone xs max vs pixel 3XL

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Jan 13, 2014
946 posts
301 upvotes
Calgary
Comparing app loading speed between iOS and Android is pretty much pointless. Apps are coded differently and it's entirely possible the iOS ones are smaller.

Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6689 posts
415 upvotes
Richmond Hill
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 11:11 pm
Sooo... the only good thing about the Pixel is the camera.

iphone xs max vs pixel 3XL

For everyday use, you won't notice the difference much. You're not going to be swapping to an app every second. We all know the A12 bionic is a beast CPU though.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 28, 2006
6689 posts
415 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Devhux wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 9:58 pm
Between the poor mic quality when recording video and the fact the 10W wireless charging is proprietary to the Pixel Stand and upcoming "Made For Google" chargers, I'm definitely not supporting them this time around.

(not to mention just how easily the Pixel 3 scuffs).
A little disappointed in the mic as well, hopefully Google can fix it in a software update. Apparently Google tested for this and results show that specifically reducing some frequencies help bring out the voice more in the video but I don't hear it. There was a comparison where the Pixel 2 XL video sound recording sounded better than the Pixel 3.

The Pixel stand is free as a preorder bonus right now so not too bothered by the charging.
Jun 1, 2009
91 posts
10 upvotes
Chilliwack
tk1000 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2018 9:54 pm
Will initially only be available in the U.S.

Google has said that Call Screen will come to older Pixel devices via a software update in November.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/google-call ... d-to-know/
Interesting--the article only references older devices. Either way, it would be nice if it gets rolled out to Canada on Pixel 3 devices quick.
May 17, 2012
395 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
Anthony19 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 10:38 am
Interesting--the article only references older devices. Either way, it would be nice if it gets rolled out to Canada on Pixel 3 devices quick.
Given Google Pay took a full 5 years to come to Canada (from USA Google Wallet launch in 2012, Android Pay launch in Canada 2017), I wouldn't hold my breath. I'll be happy if we get it in 2020. Google is notoriously slow to launch things like this outside the USA but hopefully they prove me wrong for this one as this is an AWESOME feature in my opinion, but likely has tons of legal implications/hurdles specific to each country before it can get implemented.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15060 posts
5558 upvotes
Oakville
bennyboy84 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 12:30 pm
Given Google Pay took a full 5 years to come to Canada (from USA Google Wallet launch in 2012, Android Pay launch in Canada 2017), I wouldn't hold my breath. I'll be happy if we get it in 2020. Google is notoriously slow to launch things like this outside the USA but hopefully they prove me wrong for this one as this is an AWESOME feature in my opinion, but likely has tons of legal implications/hurdles specific to each country before it can get implemented.
Google Pay required cooperation from the banks though, and since many banks have competing technologies (hi RBC! That still won't let me use Google Pay because you have your own stupid wallet app!), they are reluctant to cooperate with a third party vendor. Even if this feature requires cooperation from the carriers (no idea if it does or not), I think it could see quicker adoption rates here in Canada due to the lack of conflict.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
May 17, 2012
395 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
wearysky wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 1:51 pm
Google Pay required cooperation from the banks though, and since many banks have competing technologies (hi RBC! That still won't let me use Google Pay because you have your own stupid wallet app!), they are reluctant to cooperate with a third party vendor. Even if this feature requires cooperation from the carriers (no idea if it does or not), I think it could see quicker adoption rates here in Canada due to the lack of conflict.
Fair point but I would think it would have more to do with data confidentiality and privacy laws / regulations in Canada than carrier participation (people needing to be informed the call is recorded / is being transcribed in a specific way even if it's only temporarily, as from what I understand, the voice to text done by Google will be locally done / won't be saved anywhere). That and without French Canadian currently available, not sure our lovely province (maybe even country?) would let them launch the platform if only English is available ... I don't know, call me pessimistic but I have a feeling we won't be seeing this in Canada any time soon for some very vague legal reasons. I'll be happy to be proven wrong as I have pre-ordered a Pixel 3 and looking forward to using that feature the minute it's available.
Jul 20, 2003
171 posts
15 upvotes
bennyboy84 wrote:
Oct 24th, 2018 2:09 pm
Fair point but I would think it would have more to do with data confidentiality and privacy laws / regulations in Canada than carrier participation (people needing to be informed the call is recorded / is being transcribed in a specific way even if it's only temporarily, as from what I understand, the voice to text done by Google will be locally done / won't be saved anywhere). That and without French Canadian currently available, not sure our lovely province (maybe even country?) would let them launch the platform if only English is available ... I don't know, call me pessimistic but I have a feeling we won't be seeing this in Canada any time soon for some very vague legal reasons. I'll be happy to be proven wrong as I have pre-ordered a Pixel 3 and looking forward to using that feature the minute it's available.
I'm not holding my breath either, just look at Google Voice, it was launched almost a decade ago.....
May 17, 2012
395 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
Also, side note ; I noticed that in the Canadian Store "What's in the box" section of the Pixel 3 page, the 18W charger is not listed. This is most likely an oversight but the thought crossed my mind ... When you convert the Pixel 3 US starting price of 799 USD to CAD it adds up to approximately 1045 CAD. The Pixel 3 is 999 CAD, the 18W charger is 45 CAD on the Google Store and they are giving a free pixel stand (charger) with the phone.

I'm reaaally hoping I'm overthinking this one and they don't make Canadians buy a separate 45$ charger.
Aug 25, 2006
706 posts
83 upvotes
bennyboy84 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 9:50 am
Also, side note ; I noticed that in the Canadian Store "What's in the box" section of the Pixel 3 page, the 18W charger is not listed. This is most likely an oversight but the thought crossed my mind ... When you convert the Pixel 3 US starting price of 799 USD to CAD it adds up to approximately 1045 CAD. The Pixel 3 is 999 CAD, the 18W charger is 45 CAD on the Google Store and they are giving a free pixel stand (charger) with the phone.

I'm reaaally hoping I'm overthinking this one and they don't make Canadians buy a separate 45$ charger.
Contact google -- the wall charger is included in the box
May 17, 2012
395 posts
148 upvotes
Montreal
xcell wrote:
Oct 25th, 2018 9:25 pm
Contact google -- the wall charger is included in the box
Just did via chat and they confirmed the 18W charger is indeed in the box / that they will correct the "What's in the box" page
Dec 25, 2010
282 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
I got a shipping update. Stand got moved up a week to Oct 30-31 and my phone got moved back a week to Nov 13-14.

Thanks Google. I'm glad I pre-ordered so I could get my phone two weeks after the retail street date.