Orangeville

Harry Potter Complete 8 film collection 4K digital $69.99

Deal Link:
Price:
Savings:
-$120
Retailer:
Google Play
Found myself posting a number of google play sales lately Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Cold Sweat

Harry Potter Complete Collection: https://play.google.com/store/movies/de ... dQvDTHkezs

Part of their New Year bundles sale https://play.google.com/store/movies/co ... sale?hl=en

Funny how some are listed as animation for kids 9-12.
5FC28344-FE3B-4F54-8881-42D4D10910AF.jpeg
28 replies
[OP]
Sep 22, 2008
560 posts
286 upvotes
Orangeville
Cdn. No tax either for all my recent purchases. Hope it stays that way.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
2509 posts
732 upvotes
Da boot
How badly compressed is Google's 4K?

Only 5.1 for a 4K collection in 2019 that's very weak. It's probably only Dolby Digital.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2004
10516 posts
5617 upvotes
Oil Country
These look like great deals. Really trying to avoid going digital, since I've always preferred physical format for the higher bitrates. Temped to get the ones that I know I'll watch repeatedly.
Feb 19, 2017
320 posts
133 upvotes
Not bad. Itunes has the collection for $79.99.

Don't forget discounted coupons can usually be found for Itunes and Google Play to further sweeten the deal.
Feb 19, 2017
320 posts
133 upvotes
fudge_u wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:44 pm
These look like great deals. Really trying to avoid going digital, since I've always preferred physical format for the higher bitrates. Temped to get the ones that I know I'll watch repeatedly.
Yeah, I've struggled with this too. I do like the convenience of having everything over the air, plus it saves on physical storage space. I'm a minimalist at heart so this appeals to me. My Itunes library grew quite a bit recently with the holiday sales - better pricing than elsewhere, and all the Itunes stuff now comes in 4K (if available). The 4K physical media is still really expensive for the most part. I'll still buy physical media if there's a great deal, though.
[OP]
Sep 22, 2008
560 posts
286 upvotes
Orangeville
fudge_u wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:44 pm
I personally prefer physical as well but some of the google 4k movies have been on fairly good sale to pass on IMO. Google play is easily accessible on most if not all 4k android TVs and it’s so convienent to have them in the library that you can access instantly. 8 4k films for $70 is under $9 a movie in 4k. I think it’s pretty decent.
Aug 24, 2005
740 posts
291 upvotes
Etobicoke
I was lucky to get my physical blue ray disc set on sale for 14.99 pounds on amazon uk a few years back. Considering this is 4K I would buy at this price if it was physical media.

I still have a bit of apprehension about digital (though many of my console games are digital), somehow I just feel a bit ripped off paying full price or close to it for digital.

I think the price is not bad, but personally i would only jump on it if it was $39.99 or less.

also how are you guys playing 4k content form google play store? i have an older android box so it may not output google play movies at 4k. Do most of the new tvs come with google play store?
[OP]
Sep 22, 2008
560 posts
286 upvotes
Orangeville
Cheapowill wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:07 pm
I was lucky to get my physical blue ray disc set on sale for 14.99 pounds on amazon uk a few years back. Considering this is 4K I would buy at this price if it was physical media.

I still have a bit of apprehension about digital (though many of my console games are digital), somehow I just feel a bit ripped off paying full price or close to it for digital.

I think the price is not bad, but personally i would only jump on it if it was $39.99 or less.

also how are you guys playing 4k content form google play store? i have an older android box so it may not output google play movies at 4k. Do most of the new tvs come with google play store?
Google Play movies app is on my Android TV and I believe it’s widely available across platforms. App is also on my iOS devices. Convenience and the sale price are the main reasons I only choose google play in the end when it comes to digital. I wish we could get Movies Anywhere or Vudu herein Canada tho...
Last edited by gtjoys on Jan 13th, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2004
2626 posts
295 upvotes
The compression on these is probably a mess. They are likely optimized for a Chromecast ultra over Wifi (Hevc/H265)

Most people don't have the vision, viewing distance or equipment to view proper 4K. I am not bashing those who appreciate it, but we shouldn't buy into the hype as the studios once again change formats to extract our hard earned cash for the same content. I can see the CGI quite clearly in regular 1080p, not sure if bumping up the res will make the experience better.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2183 posts
825 upvotes
cheapbastage wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:20 pm
The compression on these is probably a mess. They are likely optimized for a Chromecast ultra over Wifi (Hevc/H265)

Most people don't have the vision, viewing distance or equipment to view proper 4K. I am not bashing those who appreciate it, but we shouldn't buy into the hype as the studios once again change formats to extract our hard earned cash for the same content. I can see the CGI quite clearly in regular 1080p, not sure if bumping up the res will make the experience better.
The movies you bought from GPM can be watched from Youtube as well. When I stream HDR 4K movies from Youtube to my Chromecast Ultra via ethernet, it's around 60Mbps, and peaks around 80Mbps. So it's pretty close to UHD BluRay rate. I'm pretty sure the throughput from GooglePlayMovies is the same as Youtube.

Many movies (Transformers, Pacific Rim, etc.) in 4K HDR are spectacular on my Vizio P (streamed from GPM to CCU). The problem with GooglePlayMovies is: its HDR requires vp9 profile 2 which is not supported on many devices. That's why I have to use ChromeCast Ultra instead of my Shield.
"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" -- Aragorn
Hath no loyalty to any ISP, for you shall receive none!
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2183 posts
825 upvotes
Cheapowill wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:07 pm

ChromeCast Ultra. GooglePlayMovies streams, I believe, around 60Mpbs and peaks at 80Mbps. Netflix 4K, otoh, streams at 15Mbps.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2009
2183 posts
825 upvotes
ph00p wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 12:37 pm
How badly compressed is Google's 4K?

Only 5.1 for a 4K collection in 2019 that's very weak. It's probably only Dolby Digital.
In my experience, 60 to 80Mbps. Pretty close to UHD Bluray.