Cell Phones

Google Play - My Devices - unknown device signed in to my account!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 17th, 2015 10:52 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo

Google Play - My Devices - unknown device signed in to my account!

Out of curiosity, I was browsing my list of "My Devices" on my Google Play account (https://play.google.com/settings). I recognize every device that shows up... except for one.

The model is SAMSUNG-SM-N900A (Samsung Galaxy Note 3). I have never touched one of these before, let alone logged into my Google account using one of these before. It happened recently too: Registered on November 21, and last used December 9, so you'd think I'd remember this happening if it was me.

My password is impossibly strong, long, and meaningless to anyone who might try to make sense of it.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that it happened on the Rogers network, because I've been a Speakout and Tbaytel customer on all my Android cellphones. But I've never used a Samsung.

Logical conclusion: Did someone sign into my Google account with their Samsung? Should I expect that I was hacked? I'm not seeing any immediate repercussions of this mysterious Samsung accessing my account, but you never know...

Thanks in advance.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3688 posts
1227 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Hey CGFA, it's been a while since I've seen you post. Hope all is well.

In regards to your concern, it could be as you described or you used a friend's phone to use Google services. You should immediately delete the authorized device. What I highly recommend you do is to take advantage of Google's two step verification process. Prior to signing on to a new device/PC, a text message with a code will be sent to a cell phone number of your choice and the person would not be able to sign in until they type in that code.

https://www.google.ca/landing/2step/

Hope this helps.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
A fun thing to do would be to go to Android Device Manager, and see where the phone is located (and if you're feeling particularly naughty, remotely lock/erase it :) )
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
EnyCe wrote: Hey CGFA, it's been a while since I've seen you post. Hope all is well.
Hope all is well with you too old friend! I mostly post here in the Cell Phone forum lately. :)
EnyCe wrote: In regards to your concern, it could be as you described or you used a friend's phone to use Google services. You should immediately delete the authorized device. What I highly recommend you do is to take advantage of Google's two step verification process. Prior to signing on to a new device/PC, a text message with a code will be sent to a cell phone number of your choice and the person would not be able to sign in until they type in that code.

Hope this helps.
ENABLED! Thanks for this. I'll look into this further to see if there's anything else I need to do beyond the basic 2-step enabling.
wearysky wrote: A fun thing to do would be to go to Android Device Manager, and see where the phone is located (and if you're feeling particularly naughty, remotely lock/erase it :) )
Nice! I tried to locate the rogue Samsung and I guess its GPS wasn't turned on because I couldn't locate it. Tempted to lock/erase it. ;)
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
EnyCe wrote: Hey CGFA, it's been a while since I've seen you post. Hope all is well.

In regards to your concern, it could be as you described or you used a friend's phone to use Google services. You should immediately delete the authorized device. What I highly recommend you do is to take advantage of Google's two step verification process. Prior to signing on to a new device/PC, a text message with a code will be sent to a cell phone number of your choice and the person would not be able to sign in until they type in that code.

Hope this helps.
Hey NYC, it's been a while since I've seen you post. Hope all is well.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1311 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I like the word "rogue"

So mission impossible-ish ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
wearysky wrote: You should also be able to go to this page: https://security.google.com/settings/se ... vity?pli=1 - and remove account permissions from the rogue device.
Heh... using that link, I've discovered a Mac logged into my Google account, also on that mysteriously significant date of December 9. I don't use Apple nor Samsung products! The plot thickens.

I'd love to be able to remove the rogue (word of the day!) Mac and Samsung, but the link does not allow me to change/remove account permissions from those two rogues.

Despite the two rogues accessing my Google account on December 9, I haven't noticed any suspicious activity. I also didn't do anything unusual that day, like using other people's devices.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Heh... using that link, I've discovered a Mac logged into my Google account, also on that mysteriously significant date of December 9. I don't use Apple nor Samsung products! The plot thickens.

I'd love to be able to remove the rogue (word of the day!) Mac and Samsung, but the link does not allow me to change/remove account permissions from those two rogues.

Despite the two rogues accessing my Google account on December 9, I haven't noticed any suspicious activity. I also didn't do anything unusual that day, like using other people's devices.
If you click on the rogue devices, you don't see a big red "Remove" button next to Account Access?

I would agree with EnyCe. Change the password and enable two factor authentication.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
Nope, no remove button on the Mac nor Samsung, nor any of the Windows computers I use regularly (home and work). I see a big red REMOVE button only on two devices I currently own (Moto G and OnePlus X).

Password changed, 2-step verification activated, reviewed all account activity, I think I'm iron-clad going forward.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Heh... using that link, I've discovered a Mac logged into my Google account, also on that mysteriously significant date of December 9. I don't use Apple nor Samsung products! The plot thickens.

I can't remove account permissions from my various windows PCs that show up in there. All my Android and iOS devices let me remove them though (and I had like 10 review phones still in there, even though they've all been wiped I figured I might as well remove them). Once I remove them, the remove button isn't available anymore, though, so I wonder if the Samsung has already been removed? The bigger question is how they got added in the first place, but maybe that's one of life's great mysteries that will never be solved.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
Did you ever use an android emulator on your PC? like bluestacks/andy/jar of beans?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
wearysky wrote: so I wonder if the Samsung has already been removed?
Since the Remove button was never there, I guess the Samsung and Mac seem more like phantoms that have lingered in my account. If they're removed, I certainly had no part in it. :)
wearysky wrote: The bigger question is how they got added in the first place, but maybe that's one of life's great mysteries that will never be solved.
Next, we'll solve the mystery of women. :)
goofball wrote: Did you ever use an android emulator on your PC? like bluestacks/andy/jar of beans?
Yes, Bluestacks, used on my home Windows PC only. Holy crap, I think this might be it. Does Bluestacks "emulate" a Samsung or Mac? (Why would it, instead of showing up just as my home PC?) The registration date of November 21, and last used date of December 9, possibly coincide with when I first installed Bluestacks and then uninstalled it from my computer, except I can't remember EXACTLY when I did these actions. Is there a "history" log of software changes I can check on my computer?
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
13194 posts
7650 upvotes
Kanata
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Yes, Bluestacks, used on my home Windows PC only. Holy crap, I think this might be it. Does Bluestacks "emulate" a Samsung or Mac? (Why would it, instead of showing up just as my home PC?) The registration date of November 21, and last used date of December 9, possibly coincide with when I first installed Bluestacks and then uninstalled it from my computer, except I can't remember EXACTLY when I did these actions. Is there a "history" log of software changes I can check on my computer?
It emulates a samsung device. It can't show up as a windows PC since its an emulator in which it doesn't truly directly access your hardware in that respect.

Perhaps check event viewer to see if you can find when it was uninstalled.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I got this twice on my Yahoo eMail account, saying a device was signed from the Philippines.

I don't sign in on my Google with my Yahoo so I figured this is spam.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2011
4921 posts
746 upvotes
Dildo
goofball wrote: It emulates a samsung device. It can't show up as a windows PC since its an emulator in which it doesn't truly directly access your hardware in that respect.
Makes total sense. Now to figure out why it also emulated a Mac on exactly the same day at exactly the same time. ;)

Funny thing, ever since you mentioned Bluestacks, is that I now remember receiving an e-mail notifying me that a new device has signed into my Google account when I first installed Bluestacks. It slipped my mind completely until now.
goofball wrote: Perhaps check event viewer to see if you can find when it was uninstalled.
Thanks. Couldn't make sense of what I saw in the Event Viewer, but going with Bluestacks is as good a guess as any.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
CanadaGooseForumAdmin wrote: Next, we'll solve the mystery of women. :)
Let's not get *too* crazy, here.

But yeah, if it was in the last month or so that you used Bluestacks, and there's no other devices listed that you don't recognize, that's definitely what it was.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15619 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
It's a spam mail.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)