Temp. Banned
Dec 7, 2012
32103 posts
8360 upvotes
GTHA

Google removed the "View Image" button from their 'Image Search'

Anyone noticed this?

Internet rages after Google removes “view image” button, bowing to Getty
Getty drops lawsuit against Google in exchange for controversial image search changes.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02 ... -to-getty/
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
3062 posts
399 upvotes
GTA
Right click > open image in new tab
Right click > copy image address
Right click > save image as...
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
shabby wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:17 pm
What computer are you using?

I came across this tonight - no "view image" button on google'
I just did a right click to save the image to my computer - this was actually easier than before where I first had to click on "view the image" and the do a second step to save it.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2611 posts
185 upvotes
Yea I've noticed. I gotta take another step of right clicking and "open image in new tab" in Chrome.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3216 posts
2165 upvotes
shabby wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 9:17 pm
No, that's not useful. What the OP is talking about is that the former View Image button opened the image file from the original site directly. Then you could right-click to access the functions you are talking about.

When you right-click on the image that Google image search shows you now, you get a link to the full web page, not a direct link to the image.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 12:06 am
No, that's not useful. What the OP is talking about is that the former View Image button opened the image file from the original site directly. Then you could right-click to access the functions you are talking about.

When you right-click on the image that Google image search shows you now, you get a link to the full web page, not a direct link to the image.
I think that depends which OS you use and maybe also which browser

With Firefox and El Capitan I get this when I do a right click on the image.
I can either get a direct link to the image if all I want to do is look at it or I can save the image directly on the computer
Or of course select any of the other options
Images
  • Google Image saving.jpg
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3216 posts
2165 upvotes
krs wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 12:34 am
I think that depends which OS you use and maybe also which browser

With Firefox and El Capitan I get this when I do a right click on the image
You're not understanding. It's nothing to do with the browser, it's to do with how Google presents search images and whether or not it allows direct linking to them.

Let's say for example that you search for images of "Pirate ship". You see an image in Google's image results that you like, and you click on it to expand it. Then you right-click on that and select Copy Link Location. You get something like this: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... zZAh---and a whole bunch more. That's a temporary link constructed by Google - you can't use it in an RFD post for example.

If you click on that image, Google now takes you to the source web page, which in this case is: https://www.pirateship.com/, where you have to scroll down to find the image you want (and in this case as it happens you would discover that the particular image you want is not selectable on that page).

Formerly Google gave you a View Image button. Clicking that would direct-link to the source image, and display a page with just that image. Right-clicking that and selecting Copy Link Location would give you something like https://pirateship.com/ship1.jpg, a permanent direct link which you could paste into a post here on RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 1:58 am
You're not understanding. It's nothing to do with the browser, it's to do with how Google presents search images and whether or not it allows direct linking to them.

Let's say for example that you search for images of "Pirate ship". You see an image in Google's image results that you like, and you click on it to expand it. Then you right-click on that and select Copy Link Location. You get something like this: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... zZAh---and a whole bunch more. That's a temporary link constructed by Google - you can't use it in an RFD post for example.

If you click on that image, Google now takes you to the source web page, which in this case is: https://www.pirateship.com/, where you have to scroll down to find the image you want (and in this case as it happens you would discover that the particular image you want is not selectable on that page).

Formerly Google gave you a View Image button. Clicking that would direct-link to the source image, and display a page with just that image. Right-clicking that and selecting Copy Link Location would give you something like https://pirateship.com/ship1.jpg, a permanent direct link which you could paste into a post here on RFD.
I understand perfectly.
You are describing the changes google made - but we all know that.

The discussion is what the options are to get around that - that's what the previous posts were and that's what I'm talking about.

I just tried this with the five different browsers I use and the right click options that come up are different for each one.
They all have the right click option to save the image directly - same as what google eliminated as far as I can tell, but on one the right click brings up an option (along with many others) to print the image directly, with another browser there is the option to save the image as wallpaper.

Strangely enough, the "google buttons" are also not the same with every browser - some of them show four buttons: Visit, save, view saved and share - and others just show Visit and Share
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3216 posts
2165 upvotes
krs wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 9:45 am
They all have the right click option to save the image directly - same as what google eliminated as far as I can tell...
Yes, of course they do, and no, it's not. What we are stumbling over is what you mean by "the image". You are talking about saving the scaled temporary version of the image that Google creates. I am talking about saving the the original image from the site where it originates, or a permanent link to it that you can use elsewhere.

What Google eliminated was the View Image button that hot-linked to that original image, apparently because they were sued over hot-linking the image and bypassing the owner's web page. Now you have to visit the image owner's web page and view the full page context to get the original image.

So formerly the process was:
1. Scan image search results, click on one image to expand it.
2. Click the View Image button to view the original image alone.
3. Right-click and Copy Image Location to get a direct link to that original image.
4. Paste image link to RFD post to use the image in a post.

Now it is:
1. Scan image search results, click on one image to expand it.
2. Click image to visit the host page
3. Scroll down the host page to find the original image (if it's visible at all - some aren't)
3. Right-click and Copy Image Location to get a link to that original image (if allowed - some pages disable right-click on images)
4. Paste image link to RFD post to use the image in a post.

You can right-click and save the Google version of the image at step 2. But it's a scaled version, not the original. And it has a temporary url, so you can't copy that url to an RFD post - you'll have save a local copy of the Google search image and then upload it to RFD.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 9:52 am
You can right-click and save the Google version of the image at step 2. But it's a scaled version, not the original. And it has a temporary url, so you can't copy that url to an RFD post - you'll have save a local copy of the Google search image and then upload it to RFD.
I thought that initially as well.
But if I check the link of the image where it came from, I get this
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/f9/d6/51/f9d6 ... ealing.jpg

I assume that is the original - would a google scaled version not be on a google server?
Or is i.pinimg.com related to google?
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I just checked another image that I had looked at before (before Google made the change) to test this.

That image on the original site is 2000 pixels wide - the google image is much smaller.
But when I save the image with the right click I get the full 2000 pixel wide image and when I check the link to the image, it is the one from the company I know:
https://cdn.haertle.de///master/product ... -2017-.jpg

I mentioned earlier that I was using Firefox as the browser and El Capitan as the OS.
Maybe people should post which browser and OS they are using because it sure sounds as if different browsers (I already proved that) and different OSs give different options and different results.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3216 posts
2165 upvotes
krs wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 10:25 am
I thought that initially as well.
But if I check the link of the image where it came from, I get this
https://i.pinimg.com/474x/f9/d6/51/f9d6 ... ealing.jpg

I assume that is the original - would a google scaled version not be on a google server?
Or is i.pinimg.com related to google?
Ok, I see. You're right - Copy Link in Google Chrome gives a different result than Copy Link in Firefox. Those clever devils at Google have altered the behaviour with different browsers.

But it still means with the loss of the View Image button we no longer get the same functionality in Firefox as is still available by other means in Chrome. Confused Face
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
15889 posts
20557 upvotes
ONTARIO
There's already an extension that supposedly brings this feature back.
'Make Google Image Search Great Again'
https://github.com/devunt/make-gis-great-again

You can install it as a Firefox extension, Google Chrome extension, or as a userscript in greasemonkey/tampermonkey.

Once installed and enabled, it's supposed to bring back the "View image" button, however I tried it with tampermonkey and as a chrome extension and it didn't work for whatever reason.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Exp315 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2018 10:35 am
But it still means with the loss of the View Image button we no longer get the same functionality in Firefox as is still available by other means in Chrome. Confused Face
I assume you're on a PC with some version of Windows....

Are you getting the same options with Firefox than the ones I show in the image in post 7 of this thread?
Firefox actually gives me the most options of any of the five browsers I tried, but that may be OS dependent as well.

Because I can definitely download the original image using "Save Image as.... ' or just view the image with Firefox on the Mac.
No change in functionality - just a different way to get there with right click and select the option one wants.

And when one tries different search engines, what and how one can save images changes for each one.