• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Sep 22, 2017
14 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Winkle wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:43 pm
The portability aspect is also fairly intriguing. As long as you have internet connection, you can just take the Chromecast Pro and controller with you very easily, even fit into your pocket kinda thing. No need to lug around a heavy PS4/XB1 console plus the associated controllers and HDMI/power cables and power brick.
...As long as you have proper internet connection. So portability is very limited at least as of now.
Fido 4GB/15$ data plan w/ free Fongo+GV / Bell Fibe 500 35$ plan / YT Premium Family 6$ / Rogers MC WE free
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1964 posts
466 upvotes
Gatineau
I would not pre-order this given how many failures are there and google's record on new product is not superb either.

Not to mention I have a hard time to believe this would work given Wifi itself already has latency and most casual gamers would use Wifi instead of eternet cable. Not to mention most people don't have bell fibe to home yet and that is even more latency.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
456 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
zentro wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:13 pm
They won't change client side prediction for multiplayer as you mentioned before, especially for existing titles which have to be compatible with what already exists. There are 28 games in their line up that they mention, the stuff they are doing are for their tech demos and future titles perhaps.
I'm pretty sure all titles need to modified to run on Stadia. For starters, they need to run on custom Linux servers. If you look at their blog (https://stadia.dev/blog/), you will notice that Unreal and Unity will also be modified for Stadia compatibility. Ghost Recon even demonstrated Stream Connect integration
(skip to 11:35), something that will not exist on other platforms.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
456 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:19 pm
Not to mention most people don't have bell fibe to home yet and that is even more latency.
You'd shave 5ms of latency at best if you had fibre. DSL latency to local servers is 10-11ms here in Vancouver. Fiber is 5-6ms. Considering that overall latency of Stadia is about 150ms, 5ms would hardly make a noticeable difference. I'm speaking about Telus fiber here, but it should be same with Bhell.
Aug 31, 2011
279 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
The way they treat YouTube creators. Any gaming developer that signs up with their gaming service is at their mercy of random and vague terms that can cost you your livelihood. Especially indie devs. Hard pass on this one.
Sep 22, 2017
14 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kwanyeung20 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:19 pm
I would not pre-order this given how many failures are there and google's record on new product is not superb either.

Not to mention I have a hard time to believe this would work given Wifi itself already has latency and most casual gamers would use Wifi instead of eternet cable. Not to mention most people don't have bell fibe to home yet and that is even more latency.
Even with Fibe 1Gbps connection and <1ms lag (assuming a streaming server is close to the client), there is still video codec and buffering latency ~5-10 ms (which is the most advanced codecs tailored to real-time streaming). And no buffering means a stuttering stream (customer data is transferred on best effort basis), so at least small buffer is required. Oh maybe something like future Bell for Streamed Video Games plan would solve this issue, for the triple price, of course.

In order to make latency 'close to zero' they would need exclude video buffering and jitter, which means excluding streaming over public telco infrastructure, which means connecting their rendering hardware directly to a customer input/output device.. OH WAIT
Fido 4GB/15$ data plan w/ free Fongo+GV / Bell Fibe 500 35$ plan / YT Premium Family 6$ / Rogers MC WE free
Jan 19, 2008
406 posts
199 upvotes
boomix wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:45 pm
The way they treat YouTube creators. Any gaming developer that signs up with their gaming service is at their mercy of random and vague terms that can cost you your livelihood. Especially indie devs. Hard pass on this one.
Creators can always move to a different platform. What do you think most of those creators would be doing without youtube?
Dec 24, 2017
623 posts
535 upvotes
People complaining about the price are missing the point that google and Apple moving towards gaming is a good thing for the gamers, even if you don’t like the device or the streaming service.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6633 posts
2469 upvotes
Toronto
Don't think I'm ready for games as service yet, and can use what I already have when the time is right. Google wants this on as many devices as possible.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2009
1371 posts
645 upvotes
Vancouver
zylonite wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:53 pm
People complaining about the price are missing the point that google and Apple moving towards gaming is a good thing for the gamers, even if you don’t like the device or the streaming service.
That's kind of true, just look at Microsoft and Sony playing ball after soooo long, and AFAIK it was directly because of Stadia.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
456 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
boomix wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:45 pm
I'm always amazed that people don't realize that it's advertisers that largely control youtube. If advertisers complain and threaten to pull ads, where are the money for creators are supposed to come from?
Manic1! wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 6:52 pm
Creators can always move to a different platform. What do you think most of those creators would be doing without youtube?
They would be Hollywood stars of course! /s
Sep 28, 2017
499 posts
312 upvotes
what would be the sense in getting the top tier package if say your own connection is crap.... we have a 20mbps connection here (cogeco) and i'm lucky if i break the 15mbps speed and can't really stream 4K from netflix or other sources... getting the studdering and freezing at times or when it has too much going on. i've complained i'm not getting what i pay for and i get the logical excuse my lines to the townhouse are old and have to be updated. but even going with a cheaper and slower package doesn't give me good speed. so to get something that streams without studdering or just crapping out period i have to have the 20mbps.

so say if other are like me and pay the top tier price they would still have what would be like having the PSnow feature and having a lousy experience. i'm sure someone will figure out how to hack this thing or app to be able to use controllers that are better. to me this sounds like the game feature that comes with my Nvidia shield.... except the shields version has had more time to work out bugs and what have you so they have a stronger foothold on this type of on the go gaming.
no matter where you go, there you are.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
456 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
peytonpeanut2017 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 7:14 pm
what would be the sense in getting the top tier package if say your own connection is crap....
There would be no sense. Wait for the free subscription available early next year.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4352 posts
1252 upvotes
So Google launches their own Geforce Now and people get excited.
This thing will flop quickly imo. There's no mention of the kind of internet speed required to use it decently.