Google Stadia Founders Edition ($169)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Sep 18, 2016
109 posts
100 upvotes
MarouA59156 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:08 am
Well tomorrow they close Hydro Quebec (or equivalent for non Quebec region), I am pretty sure you won't go dig a hole
Isn't Hydro Quebec power distribution?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16341 posts
6295 upvotes
Oakville
RFDHero wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:01 am
Just a question - why are people saying this is only for casual gamers?

Sounds like stadia will have games that you stream instead of using consoles and hardware at top resolution. I mean if they pull off the streaming well, why wouldn't hardcore gamers wanna play?

I'm just curious. Ofc the issue of them taking our data and then then the pricing of monthly subscription and stream lag etc could make this a fail.
Hardcore gamers area already going to have a gaming platform of choice. Which they have likely invested a lot of money and time into. Why would they give up that platform for this one?
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Dec 1, 2018
88 posts
41 upvotes
enfinityx2 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:33 am
Isn't Hydro Quebec power distribution?
I though they distributed water, too. New info for me. Anyway it doenst change the point of view
Dec 1, 2018
88 posts
41 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:34 am
Hardcore gamers area already going to have a gaming platform of choice. Which they have likely invested a lot of money and time into. Why would they give up that platform for this one?
Give it not now, but say... In 3 years maybe, when the equipment will become obsolete.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16341 posts
6295 upvotes
Oakville
MarouA59156 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:38 am
Give it not now, but say... In 3 years maybe, when the equipment will become obsolete.
If Google hasn't abandoned it by then. But even still - PC gamers very much dig their gaming rigs, I can't see them giving those up. Especially when you can upgrade one component at a time and extend the life of your rig significantly.

And on the console side, backwards compatibility and digital game libraries (at least on the Xbox) are a big deal too.
Dec 1, 2018
88 posts
41 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:52 am
If Google hasn't abandoned it by then. But even still - PC gamers very much dig their gaming rigs, I can't see them giving those up. Especially when you can upgrade one component at a time and extend the life of your rig significantly.

And on the console side, backwards compatibility and digital game libraries (at least on the Xbox) are a big deal too.
For sure. In my case, I am hyped for the idea. It is, for me, what I would take, in the future. But for now, I'll stick to my PC, as their game library is shitty. But saying it will fail because nobody would be interested in it... Same when the first smartwatch was announced.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2285 posts
504 upvotes
Belle River
I think we'll all be forced into streamed games, hardcore, softcore, everyone, eventually.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2100 posts
341 upvotes
I pre-ordered without thinking too much yesterday.

$90 chromecast ultra, $90 controller, 3 months subscription for $170 seemed reasonable.

But chromecasts go on sale, and I realize that the only "free" game with the subscription is destiny 2 (which I've had for a long time already) and then I have to buy games on this platform...

I might cancel the pre-order. This is a really weak launch lineup and the subscribe + pay for games + have no ownership model doesn't make sense to me.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
1824 posts
101 upvotes
MarouA59156 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:08 am
Well tomorrow they close Hydro Quebec (or equivalent for non Quebec region), I am pretty sure you won't go dig a hole
I don't live in Quebec but if they shutting down, I guess all the francophones are going to die of thirst? That was the crux of your ridicule analogy to the other user saying Google could pull the Stadia wasn't it? My mistake, I should have realized Stadia, a private/non-essential game service was on the same level as water, something that is public/essential to life.

Poutinesauce wrote: ↑
How foolish to relinquish control of when you can play your games to Google, which can be withdrawn from you at a moment's notice. No way, no how.

How foolish of you to relinquish control of when you can drink water to the government, which can withdrawn from you at a moment's notice. No way, no how.
Dec 1, 2018
88 posts
41 upvotes
nitro wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 3:23 pm
I don't live in Quebec but if they shutting down, I guess all the francophones are going to die of thirst? That was the crux of your ridicule analogy to the other user saying Google could pull the Stadia wasn't it? My mistake, I should have realized Stadia, a private/non-essential game service was on the same level as water, something that is public/essential to life.

Poutinesauce wrote: ↑
How foolish to relinquish control of when you can play your games to Google, which can be withdrawn from you at a moment's notice. No way, no how.

How foolish of you to relinquish control of when you can drink water to the government, which can withdrawn from you at a moment's notice. No way, no how.
Well now that you put it that way, it's even worse. You guys are ready to let others tamper with your water, essential to life, with whatever we don't know about, and you trust them, but can't stand letting Google have the hardware and just give you the access to it (which free for up to 1080p nonetheless). This is what I find abnormal. You can say no to pitiful game library. You can say no to high price. No to latency. But no because they will own the machine?...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2003
1824 posts
101 upvotes
MarouA59156 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 3:28 pm
Well now that you put it that way, it's even worse. You guys are ready to let others tamper with your water, essential to life, with whatever we don't know about, and you trust them, but can't stand letting Google have the hardware and just give you the access to it (which free for up to 1080p nonetheless). This is what I find abnormal. You can say no to pitiful game library. You can say no to high price. No to latency. But no because they will own the machine?...
I think you miss the point. The point is "choice". You have a choice to pay/play on Google's gaming platform and have it yanked from you. You don't have a choice in paying the "infrastructure" charge that "(insert province) Hydro" rips you off with each month if you want/need water pumped to where you live (in the city anyways). There are people who get their water straight from wells, collect it from rain, and buy jugs of bottled water but those people are rare. That's why I say again, your analogy is weak compared to what the original poster wrote.
Dec 1, 2018
88 posts
41 upvotes
nitro wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 3:46 pm
I think you miss the point. The point is "choice". You have a choice to pay/play on Google's gaming platform and have it yanked from you. You don't have a choice in paying the "infrastructure" charge that "(insert province) Hydro" rips you off with each month if you want/need water pumped to where you live (in the city anyways). There are people who get their water straight from wells, collect it from rain, and buy jugs of bottled water but those people are rare. That's why I say again, your analogy is weak compared to what the original poster wrote.
You have the choice with water to go with another seller, you're not obliged to use the provincial provider. And plus, the people chose for it to be an obligation. 200 years before, you weren't obliged to pay for this stuff. People tend to chose convenience, and I tell you, maybe right now it's not applicable, but just buying a game and playing it on the fly without even thinking of whether it will run or no, it's in a lot of people's dreams. Maybe in the future when 4k will become the minimum bearable, it will be included in the free package.

If you use some cloud based storage system, it is the same reasoning. You decide to keep all your info on their database, and the day they shut it down, you lose everything. Maybe the water example seems weak for you, but that is the best piece of info I have about you. I'm sure they are many other services you use without owing them, that would put you in deeper shit (loaning a car, paying a rent, using a credit card...)
Aug 31, 2011
278 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Cringe-fest that is Stadia and Google
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1300 posts
1209 upvotes
Alberta
I predict that developers will prefer this type of service. Stadia will eliminate all cheating and piracy on its platform... full stop.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16341 posts
6295 upvotes
Oakville
Lush78 wrote:
Jun 8th, 2019 3:22 am
I predict that developers will prefer this type of service. Stadia will eliminate all cheating and piracy on its platform... full stop.