Google Stadia Founders Edition ($169)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3842 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
So just to confirm and clarify (correct me if I'm wrong as they're very confusing with their announcement):

- Stadia will eventually run on Chromecast regular and ultra, Chrome browser, and pixel phones
- if I buy the Founders edition with Chromecast ultra and controller I get 3-ish month subscription to basically an early access in November. There's no other way to play on Stadia that early
- if I don't buy the Founders edition I'll have to wait til it launches to play on my Chromecast
- if I want to play using my existing Chromecast, I have to buy the Stadia controller. Though they say existing XBox One and PS4 controllers will work, they're talking about using it through the PC/Mac playing on a Chrome browser...
- ... but Chrome browser support will not be available yet at launch in November, or actual launch sometime next year
- I can pay a $12.99 cdn (?) a month for a subscription that gives me unlimited choice to play games in their library... Library TBD
- or I can buy games a-la-carte at $79.99 without paying for a subscription

Did I miss anything?

Their entire launch plan is needlessly complicated and very vague, with a couple different launch dates and a lot of uncertainty. I'm not saying it's going to be a disaster, but this really feels like they were looking at a later 2020 launch but when they caught whiff of a PS5 and next XBox 2020 release confirmation, decided they need to get to market asap to get people invested in their ecosystem.
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10040 posts
1396 upvotes
Toronto
Right now there are too many "what ifs" for me to purchase it. I can almost bet the next gen consoles are going to have more timed exclusives, making new releases to the stadia service come later but that's just my guess.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
3842 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
RFDHero wrote:
Jun 7th, 2019 11:01 am
Just a question - why are people saying this is only for casual gamers?

Sounds like stadia will have games that you stream instead of using consoles and hardware at top resolution. I mean if they pull off the streaming well, why wouldn't hardcore gamers wanna play?

I'm just curious. Ofc the issue of them taking our data and then then the pricing of monthly subscription and stream lag etc could make this a fail.
It's not, but I mentioned casual gamers in an earlier post because someone who was a hardcore gamer was asking who the audience for this could be...

I mean, if you're a super hardcore gamer who has a top of the line PC and consoles, then this is obviously less enticing to you. But for those who can't afford a high end PC or even new console then this ticks those boxes
Games: XBox Live: M1GO

Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1