• Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4080 posts
2469 upvotes
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:17 pm
Plus these items:

Three months of Stadia Pro (more on that below)
A three month Buddy Pass to bring one friend along for the ride

If you are not going to be paying for Stadia Pro, than the controller is of no use to you. $10USD per month subscription is probably going to be about $13 CAD + same for buddy pass. Means you are getting 13 * 2 * 3 = $78 worth of services.
Yes, I see the controller comes with free trials.

Still a $170 controller plus Chromecast.
Last edited by WL1980 on Jun 6th, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
461 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
pca1987 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:27 pm
there will likely be stadia 1080p for free (stadia base). I will wait more details on that before buying anything
I doubt you will get to play all those triple A games for free. Game publishers are going to want their cut no matter what. Ubisoft is definitely not going to give their new titles away for free because it would diminish value that they bring through other channels.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1616 posts
960 upvotes
This is a big yawn for me. I can buy a PS4/Xbone for little more and have way more utility. Not to mention these are all current/last gen titles they're offering and if you already have a console there's really no reason to go for this unless you travel all the time. But ya, maybe when Google starts pumping out solid AAA exclusives of their own I'll care more, but for now this is a yawn,
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Nov 18, 2007
125 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
Looks like the pro tier also comes with free games. The blog mentions destiny 2 with all expansions as the first free game.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
It does includes 3 months of Stadia Pro subscription, after the 3 months it's $9.99 (USD I presume) per month.

I'm not sure how they arrived at the $300 total value of the whole package though... if it's only $10 per month and 3 free months, that's $30 value. No idea how much a Buddy Pass is worth but that means ~$270 USD for the Chromecast Pro and controller...
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1244 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
what I want to know is what'll the price will be like for a single game purchase for the stadia
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6870 posts
3081 upvotes
Toronto
LoANeal wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:33 pm
This is a big yawn for me. I can buy a PS4/Xbone for little more and have way more utility.
ya and play your games with low quality graphics at sub 30fps. The selling point here is getting cutting edge performance with little to no upfront hardware cost. Even the free tier at 1080p/60fps would be a superior experience compared to playing on consoles assuming it works properly
Aug 30, 2015
430 posts
135 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:30 pm
I doubt you will get to play all those triple A games for free. Game publishers are going to want their cut no matter what. Ubisoft is definitely not going to give their new titles away for free because it would diminish value that they bring through other channels.
what? you still have to pay for the game. Only the service (stadia base) will be free
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
461 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
jasonchewy wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:38 pm
what I want to know is what'll the price will be like for a single game purchase for the stadia
All games are included for free with the Pro subscription. You'd probably have to pay regular game price with Base subscription.
Edit: No, not all games are free with Pro. Just some.
Last edited by zaporozhets on Jun 6th, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
7941 posts
1006 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:41 pm
ya and play your games with low quality graphics at sub 30fps. The selling point here is getting cutting edge performance with little to no upfront hardware cost. Even the free tier at 1080p/60fps would be a superior experience compared to playing on consoles assuming it works properly
The portability aspect is also fairly intriguing. As long as you have internet connection, you can just take the Chromecast Pro and controller with you very easily, even fit into your pocket kinda thing. No need to lug around a heavy PS4/XB1 console plus the associated controllers and HDMI/power cables and power brick.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
1244 posts
455 upvotes
Toronto
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:42 pm
All games are included for free with the Pro subscription. You'd probably have to pay regular game price with Base subscription.
I think the way I read it is, Pro sub you get "some" games for free, like how PS Plus is. You'd still need to buy the newest game.
No way they'll give you access to a game at launch date.

I just wonder if the price of buying the game, will be any cheaper than buying the regular console version.
Nov 18, 2007
125 posts
228 upvotes
Markham
puttar wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:35 pm
Looks like the pro tier also comes with free games. The blog mentions destiny 2 with all expansions as the first free game.
Are you sure about this? They only mention destiny 2 as being free. I understand it as the list of games are just the ones that are supported At this point and not free with subscription.
May 24, 2007
893 posts
337 upvotes
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:42 pm
I'm pretty sure that's not at all the case, though I've seen it reported that way, and that's how I assumed it, watching the stream.

As I understand it, Pro is essentially a premium bandwidth subscription to be able to play games at 4K + HDR + 5.1 sound—plus a few other perks, including access to some games (e.g. Destiny 2).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/ ... er-launch/

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/6/186551 ... ro-vs-base

"Google announced two tiers of Stadia streaming. The paid service is akin to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold rather than PlayStation Now or Netflix, in that it gets subscribers access to higher quality streams [and] a cadence of free games (as well as discounts on bigger, premium titles). You’re still buying games from Google to stream them through Stadia; it’s the stream quality and other perks that come with the paid subscription."
Last edited by AnonymousBroccoli on Jun 6th, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 18, 2015
268 posts
185 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I still don't understand how this could possibly get rid of any/all input lag to make it even close to a true local Console/PC experience......for the average game, might not be a big deal. But for multiplayer FPS and Fighting games, it's awful.

Not trying to compare Sony and Google...but PSNow is awful to play on, even with a 100mbps symmetrical connection.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
1342 posts
1242 upvotes
Alberta
I watched live and ordered founders edition plus an extra black controller the moment it was available. I mostly only game on my 2080ti now, but I have/had nearly all day 1 game consoles since the 90s...