Google Stadia Founders Edition ($169)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Oct 25, 2018
458 posts
429 upvotes
Nexzen wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:07 pm
do you feel like you own the shows and movies you watch on netflix too? welcome to the future.
Nope.
I buy 4k movies now, probably have over 400 physical DVD, Bluray & 4k movies. Games I want to keep I buy physical, you can pass along games/movies lend them out or sell them.

I use this example all the time but I bought Overwatch (pre-order deal) $54 for PS4, after tax. I sold during an EB double trade in for $60 while My buddy, who bought digital from the PSN Store for $67, is stuck not being able to do anything with it. I don't mind streaming some things but digital download/streaming is just taking stripping away options and basic ownership
that consumers have.

Why is a game that I can download the same price as a game that has to be printed, shipped, stored, insured, tracked, exported, imported....etc
Last edited by MikeB84225 on Jun 7th, 2019 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2010
1116 posts
742 upvotes
Montreal
sheepdogexpress wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:08 pm
The free service is coming in 2020. However it is going to be ad supported and your likely going to get less priority or weaker hardware(less allocation) for this.

I think being being exposed to commercials and adds during gaming is too intrusive and even if i did get stadia, I would pay the 12 dollars to eliminate that. However I would likely get a console or PC graphics card to get the matured gaming ecosystem which is why looks like one of Googles failed projects.
Nobody said it would be ad supported and the only hardware limitation confirmed is 1080p 60, anything else is just unbased speculation.

A GTX 2080 costs $1000, which would be the equivalent of 83 months of Stadia. Cloud gaming is the inevitable future, I doubt Google would let this go.
May 24, 2007
906 posts
358 upvotes
sheepdogexpress wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:57 pm
This project is dead in the water at the moment.
[snip]
The main appeal (eventually) is that you can play games, and don't need to buy extra hardware upfront for several hundred dollars. You use a streaming-capable device you already own, with a controller/keyboard/etc. you (potentially) already own. You play the game pretty near instantly (no game downloads; fast load times), on any streaming device you want.

As far as I understand it, you won't need to pay $12/month, unless you want to play at 4K/HDR/5.1.

They've made it confusing with this Founder's Edition bundle possibly being the only way to play at launch in November. And not launching the standard, no-monthly-fee "Base" plan until next year. And pricing the Pro subscription in the same ballpark as Netflix and Xbox Game Pass—which do give unlimited access to a library—made me think they were doing the same.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6931 posts
3169 upvotes
Toronto
Google's biggest challenge at this point is explaining to the average console gamer how being able to play at 1080p/60fps for free is better than spending $500 on aging console hardware that can barely maintain low quality 30fps as time passes. They need to have aggressive side by side comparison ads on TV, Youtube etc if people are going to understand the difference.
Jan 17, 2012
242 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
I wish they had a version of this without the chromecast...
Mar 21, 2013
186 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
MikeB84225 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:05 pm
Oh crap, I missed that, free is good but I will probably not play.

My internet is 350/350 and I still get lag in most every online game, I see this being worse.....I would consider trying but not buying a controller to test.
If that's the case you likely have some routing or peering issues and you should speak with your ISP.
Apr 28, 2012
118 posts
79 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I tried Stadia at this year's Google I/O and it was impressive, the visual quality was extremely high, and the latency, while hard to judge absolutely in such a busy environment, was light-years improved over my Steam Link, which only has to stream 20 feet via Ethernet!

For $80 on top of the Chromecast Ultra, which I need anyway, including the controller (which feels great) and three months of the Pro subscription, I'm definitely giving it a go.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2012
3236 posts
866 upvotes
Nexzen wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:07 pm
do you feel like you own the shows and movies you watch on netflix too? welcome to the future.
This is such a mindblowingly bad comparison.

I pay for the subscription and that's it. I don't also pay $15 for every movie I watch on netflix.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1154 posts
716 upvotes
Nepean
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:26 pm
Google's biggest challenge at this point is explaining to the average console gamer how being able to play at 1080p/60fps for free is better than spending $500 on aging console hardware that can barely maintain low quality 30fps as time passes. They need to have aggressive side by side comparison ads on TV, Youtube etc if people are going to understand the difference.
As someone who pre-ordered the stadia, I hate this ageing console BS that's spewed on here. Good luck playing anything like Uncharted, The last of us, Spiderman, death stranding etc on your futuristic PC. Sorry, had to just get that off my chest.
Dec 1, 2018
102 posts
45 upvotes
I just bought the Legion Y540 due to the Lenovo thread. Now, after seeing this, I'm asking myself if I really need that computer, as I can still play for free, or get 8 years worth of stadia. The only thing that wasn't clear is: how many games will be available? Are all computer based games available in the go, or would they add them little by little? Because from the presentation, they have a poor game library for now
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2005
1531 posts
434 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Pre-rdered. Even if I already own the Chromecast Ultra.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
465 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
Heythumb88 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 2:42 pm
As someone who pre-ordered the stadia, I hate this ageing console BS that's spewed on here. Good luck playing anything like Uncharted, The last of us, Spiderman, death stranding etc on your futuristic PC. Sorry, had to just get that off my chest.
How does the fact that consoles have some exclusives contradict the fact that they are ageing?
Also, you can play most of them on PC. That's what PS Now is for:
https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/psnow/games/
Oct 19, 2005
801 posts
115 upvotes
Brampton
puttar wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 1:48 pm
Are you sure about this? They only mention destiny 2 as being free. I understand it as the list of games are just the ones that are supported At this point and not free with subscription.

All the information is on google store Canada page now and everyone can pre order.
Destiny 2 with all the expansion is the first free game comes with the pro service.