• Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1867 posts
252 upvotes
Waterloo
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:15 pm
The idea that multiplayer would not rely on the EA servers. All servers would be hosted in the same Google data center. Therefore there would be essentially no lag between state synchronization and graphics rendering. That's why this service has potential to become revolutionary.
Yes, that would be great, but won't happen any time soon. A lot of big changes would need to happen in order for that to take place.

Plus, I'm not so sure that Google wants to be responsible for all gaming multiplayer traffic. That's a massive undertaking. Although I wouldn't doubt that would be their goal. The amount of data they can mine off people and sell would be ridiculous for them.
Corsair 600T SE White | Dell U2412M | Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHZ | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB | 12GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Logitech G500 | Logitech Z-2300 | Sennheiser HD555
Jul 11, 2018
67 posts
49 upvotes
There must be some sort of TV bundle coming out.It's a good selling point for tv.
May 24, 2007
916 posts
386 upvotes
rilhouse wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:15 pm
if your TV has built in chromecast (androidTV) would you even need a chromecast ultra? i'm wondering if i should just wait for the controller only then.
Eventually, you'll be able to use pretty much any device capable of streaming video, and any controller that'll connect to your streaming device.

At Stadia's launch in November, it's more locked down, and much less widely supported.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4818 posts
3612 upvotes
Toronto
xblackdemonx wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:19 pm
You are comparing Apples and Oranges.
Not really, OnLive was the exact same thing done a decade earlier. It worked okay when you had very low latency, but there were still many issues.

What exactly do you think Google will be able to do different? Google cannot guarantee zero latency either.
Feb 9, 2010
166 posts
37 upvotes
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:00 pm
Only true for single player games. For multiplayer games, there shouldn't be any disadvantage. Only advantages, such as lack of hacking and unlimited scalability.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/19/18272 ... r-gdc-2019
“When we designed Stadia, our goal was to solve many of the pain points that we had heard about from developers,” Google vice president Phil Harrison stated. “Particularly those related to multiplayer. In traditional platforms, the client and server are connect by the unpredictable internet, and therefore the multiplayer experience is limited by the client with the slowest or poorest internet connection.”
Google can control every aspect of the online experience since the visuals are being processed on its machines and all the data is moving through its system.

“What that means is a synchronized state across a very high volume of players, where innovations like distributed physics can be built into your games,” Harrison said. “Where battle royale games can go from hundreds of players today, to thousands of players tomorrow. And yes, no cheating, and no hacking.”
Traditional client-side games: button press -> gun fires -> wait for server to register shot.

Server-side games: button press -> wait for server to register button press -> gun fires

There will be delay in input instead of delay in what happens game-wise. Definitely worse for movement, not so sure for shooting.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1867 posts
252 upvotes
Waterloo
xblackdemonx wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:18 pm
If you pay per month they don't give you the games for "free"?
I don't think so. You're paying for the service, not the games. I'm guessing it will be like current streaming services/PS Plus/XBox Live. They will probably have some older games you can play for free as long as you subscribe and then offer some promotions on newer games but you'll still need to pay for the latest games.

The current gaming services still charge you to "buy" the latest games to play.
Corsair 600T SE White | Dell U2412M | Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHZ | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 OC 6GB | 12GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3-1600 | ASUS Sabertooth X58 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | Logitech G500 | Logitech Z-2300 | Sennheiser HD555
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
zentro wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:16 pm
Multiplayer would be pretty bad, because client side prediction masks most of the latency issues. But you can't so it in the same way, since video is being rendered elsewhere and streamed to you.

Also not every bit of input is sent to server in normal multiplayer gaming, like moving crosshair/mouse/etc in a game, not every position needs to be sent since it's being done locally, only when an action takes place at a specific position. But it does with Stadia, every movement and position needs to be sent to a server, server needs to react and render it and then send it back.

Huge disadvantage in multiplayer.
Not really a problem. Client side prediction can easily be replaced with server side prediction. And I can't even think of a reason why sending all mouse/keyboard/controller input to server would be bad. I fact, it would be good, because it would eliminate client desyncronization. I remember Battlefield 1 had issue when fog would not render equally for all player due to desinchronization. Also, rubberbanding. And last and not least, cheating. Even "legal cheating" such as changing game settings to low and therefore making everyone more visible would be eliminated.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1867 posts
252 upvotes
Waterloo
What are the benefits or differences of Stadia over existing game streaming services like PlayStation Now or GeForce now?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2191 posts
1202 upvotes
Montreal
zentro wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:27 pm
Not really, OnLive was the exact same thing done a decade earlier. It worked okay when you had very low latency, but there were still many issues.

What exactly do you think Google will be able to do different? Google cannot guarantee zero latency either.
No but the have the biggest infrastructure in the world. If someone can do it, it's Google.
OnLive were Wannabes.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1867 posts
252 upvotes
Waterloo
xblackdemonx wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:33 pm
No but the have the biggest infrastructure in the world. If someone can do it, it's Google.
OnLive were Wannabes.
Google does not have the biggest infrastructure in the world, especially not physical infrastructure.

They don't have control over internet speeds.

What they have a lot of is money.
Last edited by torontoraptor on Jun 6th, 2019 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
466 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
nvleafs wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:27 pm
Traditional client-side games: button press -> gun fires -> wait for server to register shot.

Server-side games: button press -> wait for server to register button press -> gun fires

There will be delay in input instead of delay in what happens game-wise. Definitely worse for movement, not so sure for shooting.
Traditional games, using Battlefield as example.
Someone presses button and his client tells server that you are dead. But... You already were behind corner. You die behind corner.
https://www.reddit.com/r/BattlefieldV/c ... _be_fixed/

Also traditional games (Battlefield): someone presses a trigger button and sends 4 bullets to kill you, but due to lag your client only transmitted 1 bullet. 3 bullets are delayed. 2 potential outcomes: either you die in 1 bullet (frustrating for you) or enemy has to shoot 7 bullets (frustrating for him)
Dec 29, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
AnonymousBroccoli wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:20 pm
I was trying to figure that too—whether it was a game licence included with the bundle, or part of Pro. I think it's the latter, and you lose access when your subscription lapses.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/ ... er-launch/

"Pro subscribers will also receive PlayStation Plus/Xbox Live Gold-style benefits, including discounts on game purchases and free games released at a "regular cadence." The first of these freebies, Destiny 2, will be available to Pro subscribers at launch in a package including all current and future expansions plus the ability to transfer an existing Guardian from the PC or Xbox edition (PS4 transfers are currently "pending approval by Sony"). These free titles will remain accessible as long as users maintain their monthly subscription."
found contradictory info on polygon:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/6/186551 ... ro-vs-base

**limited-time only, Stadia Pro grants you access to the full Destiny 2 experience, which includes the base game, all previous add-ons, the new Shadowkeep expansion and the annual pass. You will be able to transfer your Guardian from other platforms (currently PC and Xbox)
Oct 5, 2009
736 posts
51 upvotes
Regina
I chatted with google on Nvidia Shield. they said all long as you have chrome installed, you can use stadia...
Aug 6, 2010
4 posts
Vancouver
I pre-ordered. Thanks OP.
For a casual gamer like myself, who has nintendo switch, a gtx 1050 ti, I play lighter games with my buddies, but don't want to fork out $600+ for a powerful video card to play the latest AAA titles, so it works for me. If I want to chill on da couch with wifey, or game in bed, even for less than 10 hours a month, its worth it for me. If I want to play AAA titles at full 4k res, with controller or keyboard I think that's pretty cool. I do have 300mbps internet so i should be good.
With google behind it, I feel comfortable that it's got the resources to build momentum. It's early adoption so there's always a bit of risk. The only thing might be to see what Project X has in store. Apparently some upcoming news about that.
And if it turns out to be shite, well I got a decent controller and a chromecast ultra out of the deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1867 posts
252 upvotes
Waterloo
Shiftup wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:42 pm
I chatted with google on Nvidia Shield. they said all long as you have chrome installed, you can use stadia...
Unless I'm mistaken, there is no official release for Chrome on Nvidia Shield.

I believe Chrome (or parts of it) are already installed because the OS uses it but it's not easily accessible to the user.
Last edited by torontoraptor on Jun 6th, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.