PC & Video Games

Google Stadia Founders Edition ($169)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Oct 1, 2009
97 posts
38 upvotes
I pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution on On-Live back in the day. Paid extra just to get the streaming console and controller shipped to Canada via border forwarding service. Of course when On-Live shut down, I lost access to everything.

Just pre-ordered this Stadia Founders edition. I've learned nothing lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4773 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:31 pm
Not really a problem. Client side prediction can easily be replaced with server side prediction. And I can't even think of a reason why sending all mouse/keyboard/controller input to server would be bad. I fact, it would be good, because it would eliminate client desyncronization. I remember Battlefield 1 had issue when fog would not render equally for all player due to desinchronization. Also, rubberbanding. And last and not least, cheating. Even "legal cheating" such as changing game settings to low and therefore making everyone more visible would be eliminated.
What games use server side prediction?

Desynchronization occurs due to latency, so if you are streaming the game, guess what happens.
May 24, 2007
893 posts
337 upvotes
postalRage wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:40 pm
found contradictory info on polygon:
https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/6/186551 ... ro-vs-base

**limited-time only, Stadia Pro grants you access to the full Destiny 2 experience, which includes the base game, all previous add-ons, the new Shadowkeep expansion and the annual pass. You will be able to transfer your Guardian from other platforms (currently PC and Xbox)
That might mean the window to claim the game is limited. Kind of like monthly games for PS+, XBL Gold, Twitch Prime cycling in and out.

I don't think they'd give you an annual pass, but then revoke access to it before the stuff from that pass is released. I suspect it depends on keeping the Pro subscription active.
Nov 4, 2009
194 posts
87 upvotes
Calgary
Google Stadia is a cool new product which is pushing the market forward.

It is not a hot deal.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
464 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
zentro wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:45 pm
What games use server side prediction?
Do you think I have source code for Google Stadia games or do you think Stadia game developers report to me? How do you imagine anyone would know answer to that question?
zentro wrote:
Desynchronization occurs due to latency, so if you are streaming the game, guess what happens.
No, desyncronization literally occurs because client and server state is not synchronized. In case of Stadia, there is no state on the client. State is only kept on the server, so there is literally nothing to synchronize.
Nov 9, 2010
902 posts
1435 upvotes
Montreal
Haven't looked into Stadia but some questions:
-If I stopped subscribing to pro will I get to keep playing the free games or will they be locked?
-If I resubscribe after I've stopped subscribing will my previous free games become available again?
-Free games change every month?
-Are free games, free for a limited time then locked or free as long as you remain a pro subscriber?
-Do I need to play the game at least once for the account to register the free games if we get to keep them? Kind of like having to checkout ps+ free games or you miss out on them.
-Does Stadia allow me to be active on multiple devices (eg: household playing 2-3 different games on different devices)?
-I assume save files are saved to your Stadia account and we dont' need to be a pro subscriber to fully utilize save files? (eg: there is no save file limits and we can have multiple save files for the same game {looking at you metal gear survive})
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
2238 posts
576 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know if I would want to play multiplayer FPS with a controller on this, you will be going against people playing on PC with keyboard and mouse.
Oct 19, 2005
801 posts
115 upvotes
Brampton
azn0Richard0 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:58 pm
Haven't looked into Stadia but some questions:
-If I stopped subscribing to pro will I get to keep playing the free games or will they be locked?
-If I resubscribe after I've stopped subscribing will my previous free games become available again?
-Free games change every month?
-Are free games, free for a limited time then locked or free as long as you remain a pro subscriber?
-Do I need to play the game at least once for the account to register the free games if we get to keep them? Kind of like having to checkout ps+ free games or you miss out on them.
-Does Stadia allow me to be active on multiple devices (eg: household playing 2-3 different games on different devices)?
-I assume save files are saved to your Stadia account and we dont' need to be a pro subscriber to fully utilize save files? (eg: there is no save file limits and we can have multiple save files for the same game {looking at you metal gear survive})

Just like PS Plus free game model.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
3382 posts
2057 upvotes
Ain't preordering this. Not a fan of how the controller looks until I get my hands on it.

I rather wait and see how this goes and try it out when Stadia is either ready on the Nvidia Shield or PC version is ready so I can use Xbox controller.

So far they monthly plan is only for old games. Day 1 AAA won't be on there, you have to buy them separately. And from a few reviews from people who participate the beta, it's still has a bit latency and compression artifact issues as expected. But if anyone can pull this off, it's Google.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jun 6th, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4773 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 4:56 pm
Do you think I have source code for Google Stadia games or do you think Stadia game developers report to me? How do you imagine anyone would know answer to that question?

No, desyncronization literally occurs because client and server state is not synchronized. In case of Stadia, there is no state on the client. State is only kept on the server, so there is literally nothing to synchronize.
I think you are assuming they are significantly modifying the game. When in fact they are just capturing your input and rendering/streaming the game to you. Client side prediction will still be used for all multiplayer games because it's more seamless for the end user. Yes they are not synchronized because there is latency or connection interruption, that will still happen.

-------------------

There own demo shows input lag.

Someone testing at their demo booths.

And they probably have the best case scenario in these videos since all the networking is done by Google during limited tests.

Casual gamers may not care or it maybe easy to adapt to. But at the same time causal gamers also don't have the best internet connections and probably have bandwidth caps.

I'm looking forward to trying it myself when they do the free release, but I don't think it will disrupt normal gaming.
Jun 8, 2008
619 posts
146 upvotes
Nope, will see how it pans out, rather than be the guinea pig. With Bell and Rogers agro traffic shaping, and especially in major downtown centers speed being shady (latency being greater than 20ms, lag will be evident in 4k)...

Nope.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
464 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
zentro wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 5:17 pm
I think you are assuming they are significantly modifying the game. When in fact they are just capturing your input and rendering/streaming the game to you. Client side prediction will still be used for all multiplayer games because it's more seamless for the end user. Yes they are not synchronized because there is latency or connection interruption, that will still happen.
They are significantly modifying games:
https://stadia.dev/blog/welcome-to-stadia

A cloud-native game platform means two things to us:
An evolving creative canvas: starting with over 10 teraflops of graphics performance, a Stadia Instance is a powerful place to play. Unlike legacy consoles and PCs, we can grow the size of an Instance dynamically, without requiring players to upgrade to the latest generation of hardware. The creative potential for Clusters of Instances directly connected to Google Cloud Platform on Google’s high-bandwidth, low-latency global network fundamentally changes the art of what’s possible in game design. We’re leveraging the power and flexibility of Google’s data centers to empower you in unleashing your creativity. From features like Style Transfer ML which uses realtime machine learning for rapid art style prototyping, to Stream Connect, which enables new multiplayer game mechanics by rendering player cameras onto surfaces in another player’s view, we’re working to enable you to innovate in every aspect of game development.
A modern development pipeline: with Instances in the cloud, artists, level designers, programmers and producers can be just clicks away from playtests, multiplayer sessions, demos and reviews. Build servers and asset pipelines can continuously integrate and deploy with Stadia’s development platform to ensure global teams always have access to the latest version, are able to collaborate in new ways and can efficiently overlay their local edits. We’re investing in the hardware, software and services to enable a hybrid cloud with Stadia Development Nodes in your studio and dedicated Instances in Google’s cloud, securely integrated into your workflow. We’ve built a 21st-century development platform intended to help you do what you do best, faster.

Of course there is lag, but in many games it's not noticeable. I haven't tried Stadia, but I did try Geforce Now on Shield and was satisfied with it. The services are not aimed at tryhards.
Last edited by zaporozhets on Jun 6th, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 22, 2017
938 posts
203 upvotes
this is basically onlive but in a closed hardware environment.
i'll pass.
STEP INTO THE DARK SIDE...
[OP]
Apr 24, 2012
464 posts
535 upvotes
Vancouver
enemyboss wrote:
I pre-ordered Deus Ex: Human Revolution on On-Live back in the day. Paid extra just to get the streaming console and controller shipped to Canada via border forwarding service. Of course when On-Live shut down, I lost access to everything.

Just pre-ordered this Stadia Founders edition. I've learned nothing lol.
Haha! Welcome to early adopters club! You did learn something if you did it again. You learned that excitement you get when you press Buy button on new and untried tech and knowing that you will be one among the first to try it, trumps common sense of avoiding risks of loosing money. Just in case it makes you feel better: you are not alone! There are literally dozens of us here :D
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
4773 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
zaporozhets wrote:
Jun 6th, 2019 5:45 pm
They are significantly modifying games:
https://stadia.dev/blog/welcome-to-stadia
They won't change client side prediction for multiplayer as you mentioned before, especially for existing titles which have to be compatible with what already exists. There are 28 games in their line up that they mention, the stuff they are doing are for their tech demos and future titles perhaps.