Cell Phones

Google Voice account from US to Canada

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2017 9:39 pm
Jan 19, 2017
431 posts
121 upvotes

Google Voice account from US to Canada

i started using Android while i was in the US but have since moved to Canada. it could never occur to me that the country assigned to my Google account (which is the same account i use on my Android phone) would have a say on what applications i could run on the phone, until i wanted to use the parking application and was shown "...is not available in your country" (my first reaction: but i AM in Canada...wth?!). i know i can change my country from US to Canada, but i have a Google Voice number which i got setup when i was in the US, and i don't want to lose it.
would changing my Google account's country from US to Canada block my ability to use (as in, call and receive calls, send and receive SMS) my Google Voice number/service? is there any surprises that i'd encounter if i did the switch?
5 replies
Mar 12, 2009
507 posts
555 upvotes
Ontario
I have a google voice account that I activated in the USA. I use it with an android phone registered to my Canadian Google account. No problems.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
darXider wrote: i started using Android while i was in the US but have since moved to Canada. it could never occur to me that the country assigned to my Google account (which is the same account i use on my Android phone) would have a say on what applications i could run on the phone, until i wanted to use the parking application and was shown "...is not available in your country" (my first reaction: but i AM in Canada...wth?!). i know i can change my country from US to Canada, but i have a Google Voice number which i got setup when i was in the US, and i don't want to lose it.
would changing my Google account's country from US to Canada block my ability to use (as in, call and receive calls, send and receive SMS) my Google Voice number/service? is there any surprises that i'd encounter if i did the switch?
Sign up for a new Google account and add it to your play store. You can have multiple accounts.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
I have google voice numbers from accounts that are Canadian and US. Makes no difference. Multiple accounts is probably the easiest approach as suggested.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6748 posts
1781 upvotes
Montreal
Same here. I've only ever had a Canadian Google account and I have a FL Hangouts number. You should be OK.
Phils