Cell Phones

Google Voice readying its Canadian launch?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 5:29 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 15, 2011
37673 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Google Voice readying its Canadian launch?

For many Canadians, the one Google service coveted above all others is Google Voice. The ability to have a single, centralized number forward to as many phones as you like, with the option to replace your carrier’s voicemail service with Google’s own (occasionally inaccurate) transcription service is incredibly convenient. Not to mention the fact that, in the States, you can port your number over to Google and make all your calls using the company’s low rates.
http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/11/20/googl ... an-launch/
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Sep 21, 2004
8273 posts
1797 upvotes
Calgary
I couldn't verify my phone number. It would be so awesome if true.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9227 posts
1875 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Leave it to mobilesyrup to get the story weeks later
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... ng-numbers
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4032 posts
178 upvotes
Woodbridge
Only a dream in Canada.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2007
1434 posts
144 upvotes
Victoria
I am running CM10 on Gnex on Bell and could not get it to verify my number so no dice for me.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37673 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill
No go on mine. Running Paranoid Android 2.99 on GNex on Bell.
46 posts
5 upvotes
Winnipeg
I believe what stopped it was e911 service, i remember contacting the CRTC and they mentioned it but this was 2 years ago so things might of changed due to Rogers One Number service
May 18, 2012
8 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
I was able to verify and use my 2 Montreal cell phone numbers on my Google Voice account.

If you have a Google Voice account, the simplest way to get it setup with your cell phone number is to:
1) Download the Google Voice app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ooglevoice

2) During the setup of this app, use the Gmail account to which your Google Voice account is attached.

3) At the phone number point of the installation, select 'Use this phone.'

This should add your cell phone number to you Google Voice account and verify it.

Also, in your Gmail account, make sure that: Settings -> Chat -> Call phones -> Default Country = 'United States'

HTH..

Rob.

googlevoiceforcanadians.com
May 18, 2012
8 posts
5 upvotes
Montreal
I was able to verify and use my 2 Montreal cell phone numbers on my Google Voice account.

If you have a Google Voice account, the simplest way to get it setup with your cell phone number is to:
1) Download the Google Voice app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ooglevoice

2) During the setup of this app, use the Gmail account to which your Google Voice account is attached.

This should add your cell phone number to you Google Voice account and verify it.

Also, in your Gmail account, make sure that: Settings -> Chat -> Call phones -> Default Country = 'United States'

HTH..

Rob.

Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10903 posts
1322 upvotes
^ I was able to verify a 416 cell number using the above method. It works for inbound only (i.e. people calling my google voice # forward to my 416) . Callback isn't working yet for me (i.e. outbound calling)
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37673 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RobertThompson wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 9:16 am

HTH..

Rob.

Double post :)
Jul 28, 2010
1101 posts
350 upvotes
Montreal
Able to work on iPhones? Heard you need a proxy to get it downloaded
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
^^From what I have read its not working on Iphones as of yet
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9227 posts
1875 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
wongbr wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 12:06 pm
Able to work on iPhones? Heard you need a proxy to get it downloaded
You don't need a proxy to download the app, but you probably need a US iTunes acct. Some third party apps are available in Canada (GV Moble+ is one). The problem is getting the service to work properly in Canada with an iPhone.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
× < >