Cell Phones

Google Voice readying its Canadian launch?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 5:29 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 25, 2007
507 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
No. I've only ever seen/heard rumours. Like, "my buddy works at google and he's been using google voice in canada." or "they're beta testing over in some town no one's heard of".

Google tends to be pretty mum about things though, so not a big surprise.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1286 posts
40 upvotes
Mississauga
I had GV account for 3 years now. I was using it in Canada using Alberta#. It stopped few weeks ago. Tried to get my bell mobility# verified using s3. It wont verify, even tried older app. since it was updated yesterday.
SO IT DO NOT WORK.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
crasher wrote:
Dec 27th, 2012 12:00 pm
I had GV account for 3 years now. I was using it in Canada using Alberta#. It stopped few weeks ago. Tried to get my bell mobility# verified using s3. It wont verify, even tried older app. since it was updated yesterday.
SO IT DO NOT WORK.
There was a small window that some were able to verify a Canadian... I was able to get my BC area code added
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
I was able to verify my mobile phone too in that small window of opportunity in December. However, when I tried to add my other number, it was already impossible. Still, GV is pretty useless untill they start offering Canadian numbers... somehow I don't think that'll happen soon, if ever.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1279 posts
87 upvotes
I heard that all US cell phones come with US nationwide long distance. Therefore, Google Voice really doesn't care where the access number is located relative to the phone. I think this is a big hinderance to bringing Google Voice to Canada.
Dec 29, 2011
19 posts
NORTH YORK
That would be awesome. I used in the US and better than regular phone lines.
Sep 21, 2004
8276 posts
1818 upvotes
Calgary
kitty wrote:
Jan 7th, 2013 5:15 pm
I heard that all US cell phones come with US nationwide long distance. Therefore, Google Voice really doesn't care where the access number is located relative to the phone. I think this is a big hinderance to bringing Google Voice to Canada.
For all the calls I made in Calgary, the forwarding number has all been local. Haven't tried in other cities though.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
× < >