Cell Phones

Google Voice readying its Canadian launch?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 5:29 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
No dice in BC yet, tried to forward my cell and just got "Country of the forwarding phone does not match your country."

How I do hope GV will be released in Canada.... would be awesome!!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
1757 posts
144 upvotes
Ottawa
Nada in Ottawa. 613. Can't verify
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
SophiaB wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 12:19 pm
No dice in BC yet, tried to forward my cell and just got "Country of the forwarding phone does not match your country."

How I do hope GV will be released in Canada.... would be awesome!!
Works fine in bc through the android app.... Go over to Hofo and read through the threads there
Jan 2, 2007
887 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! Worked on a 647 number with my existing google voice account (US number). Can make outbound calls too.

Curious question: How do outbound calls work? like skype or thru a local gateway?

RobertThompson wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 9:14 am
I was able to verify and use my 2 Montreal cell phone numbers on my Google Voice account.

If you have a Google Voice account, the simplest way to get it setup with your cell phone number is to:
1) Download the Google Voice app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ooglevoice

2) During the setup of this app, use the Gmail account to which your Google Voice account is attached.

3) At the phone number point of the installation, select 'Use this phone.'

This should add your cell phone number to you Google Voice account and verify it.

Also, in your Gmail account, make sure that: Settings -> Chat -> Call phones -> Default Country = 'United States'

HTH..

Rob.

googlevoiceforcanadians.com
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
mohitk wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 12:59 pm
Thanks! Worked on a 647 number with my existing google voice account (US number). Can make outbound calls too.

Curious question: How do outbound calls work? like skype or thru a local gateway?
Gateway. So it is something to keep in mind if you are outside of your local calling area and might get dinged for a long distance call to the gateway number.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jan 2, 2007
887 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks!
So essentially I am not saving anything if I use GV to call a local numbers! caller ID on the other side is my US number - how can I find where the gateway is?
ceredon wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 1:03 pm
Gateway. So it is something to keep in mind if you are outside of your local calling area and might get dinged for a long distance call to the gateway number.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
mohitk wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 1:08 pm
Thanks!
So essentially I am not saving anything if I use GV to call a local numbers! caller ID on the other side is my US number - how can I find where the gateway is?
hard to say how you would find out. Some phones will show the number it is calling to pass through, others only show the number you are dialing.

It's easier for those in the US, because they pretty much all have nationwide calling, so it doesn't matter where the gateway number is. If you are calling from Toronto number, it should be a Toronto number you dial out to (which is where the problem occurs if you are in say Hamilton or KW and pay LD to call through that TO number). I guess you could try to see if your online carrier acct info shows the number you are actually calling through.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jan 2, 2007
887 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah found this out:
A unique number phone number is assigned to each person that you call. The direct access numbers are stored in the Google Voice application, not in your Contacts. They can be purged from your phone at any time by signing out of the Google Voice app.

Note: Direct access numbers are assigned randomly, and may include numbers that are out of your local calling area, or even out of state. If you don't have a nationwide calling plan, you may be charged long distance rates by your carrier.
ceredon wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 1:12 pm
hard to say how you would find out. Some phones will show the number it is calling to pass through, others only show the number you are dialing.

It's easier for those in the US, because they pretty much all have nationwide calling, so it doesn't matter where the gateway number is. If you are calling from Toronto number, it should be a Toronto number you dial out to (which is where the problem occurs if you are in say Hamilton or KW and pay LD to call through that TO number). I guess you could try to see if your online carrier acct info shows the number you are actually calling through.
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
Thanks for all the information :) Doesn't work yet on my Android, it says "we have a problem, could not verify your phone number". I tried all the steps Robert Thomson posted, I tried it with a Koodo and a Rogers number. Neither worked... but I'll keep trying and hoping. Good stuff!
Edit: after 3 tries it finally worked on one of the two numbers!!! (still getting errors on the other one) Something is DEFINITELY happening, I'm so happy! :D
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37677 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 2:10 pm
What would be the MAIN advantage for Google Voice in canada?
No long distance charges which carriers ding you on? I guess.
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
AndroidRootGuy wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 2:10 pm
What would be the MAIN advantage for Google Voice in canada?
1) allow you to make calls to Canadian and US numbers with no long distance charges (assuming you are in your local calling area)
2) GV visual voicemail and the benefits that entails (VVM, transcription, conditional greetings, SMS, email and/or push alerts, accessibility from any browser)
3) ring multiple phones

The problem with the long distance benefit is that it in Canada we are restricted because of the carrier's asinine local calling areas for wireless, which handicap the utility of a service like GV,
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37677 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill
How about text messages? My plan I know its free unlimited if I receive SMS from the US but if I send I get dinged.
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
djemzine wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 2:23 pm
How about text messages? My plan I know its free unlimited if I receive SMS from the US but if I send I get dinged.
yes, they are free.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37677 posts
5426 upvotes
Richmond Hill
RobertThompson wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 9:16 am
I was able to verify and use my 2 Montreal cell phone numbers on my Google Voice account.

If you have a Google Voice account, the simplest way to get it setup with your cell phone number is to:
1) Download the Google Voice app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ooglevoice

2) During the setup of this app, use the Gmail account to which your Google Voice account is attached.

3) At the phone number point of the installation, select 'Use this phone.'

This should add your cell phone number to you Google Voice account and verify it.

Also, in your Gmail account, make sure that: Settings -> Chat -> Call phones -> Default Country = 'United States'

HTH..

Rob.

googlevoiceforcanadians.com
Tried this method and no go. I signed in using my gmail account and I got to the screen where it says Set up Google Voice. I click next and it prompted me to enter a 4 digit pin or create one. I did and then says could not verify telephone number. I don't see step 3 at all. I.e. "use this phone"

I did also change the default country to the US. PS I don't have a US # tied to my Google/Google Voice Account. Should I have done so or? Or should I wait till its official?