Cell Phones

Google Voice readying its Canadian launch?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 5:29 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
djemzine wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 2:28 pm
Tried this method and no go. I signed in using my gmail account and I got to the screen where it says Set up Google Voice. I click next and it prompted me to enter a 4 digit pin or create one. I did and then says could not verify telephone number. I don't see step 3 at all. I.e. "use this phone"

I did also change the default country to the US. PS I don't have a US # tied to my Google/Google Voice Account. Should I have done so or? Or should I wait till its official?
Seems to work if you have already had a google voice account set up before... Try using something like voxox to set up a us #
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2004
1294 posts
19 upvotes
Markham
Awesome! Got my Rogers 416# verified and can place/receive calls/texts with my GV number.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9229 posts
1876 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
The big coup will be for whoever can get a Canadian Google Voice number assigned to them. There was a small window where some people got one, but they have closed it up for now.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
If anybody else is having trouble verifying the number: it took me 3 attempts on one number, the other one I tried about 6 times, didn't work every time. Then I uninstalled the GV app and reinstalled it, after that it verified the number first attempt! So keep trying :) Both our cells are now verified :)
Sep 21, 2004
8277 posts
1820 upvotes
Calgary
RobertThompson wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 9:16 am
I was able to verify and use my 2 Montreal cell phone numbers on my Google Voice account.

If you have a Google Voice account, the simplest way to get it setup with your cell phone number is to:
1) Download the Google Voice app from here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ooglevoice

2) During the setup of this app, use the Gmail account to which your Google Voice account is attached.

3) At the phone number point of the installation, select 'Use this phone.'

This should add your cell phone number to you Google Voice account and verify it.

Also, in your Gmail account, make sure that: Settings -> Chat -> Call phones -> Default Country = 'United States'

HTH..

Rob.

googlevoiceforcanadians.com
I can verify this works for me. I do have a GV account with a US number. Now I followed the above three steps and now my Canadian phone is linked. Google is awesome.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Dec 18, 2009
46 posts
5 upvotes
Winnipeg
i always get "Country of the forwarding phone does not match your country." error when ever adding my rogers number. We'll see if canada actually gets this service soon.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3113 posts
318 upvotes
People are going to get a real eye opener when they get there cell bills and find out the local access # is not a local call...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
1758 posts
146 upvotes
Ottawa
when I goto google.com/voice I see a couple calls that were made from google talk. and that's it. (I did at one point have a google voice number, but they took it back after no usage) On my phone I don't get an option to USE thi phone, it just says can't verify after asking me to set a PIN.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2011
37681 posts
5427 upvotes
Richmond Hill
PS when I go to my Google Voice account online there's no way to see what # is associated or how to change to a new one. Thoughts?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
Aug 13, 2012
449 posts
130 upvotes
djemzine, you get to pick your own number, if you don't see one I guess you have not yet done the first step of getting a GV number :) Did you install a IP shield and choose a number, then verify it with a US number?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10908 posts
1323 upvotes
shushwap wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 3:03 pm
...and find out the local access # is not a local call...
There is an app called gvoice callback which triggers gv to call you first (no ld in local calling area) and then gv calls the original party. No ld needed
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2010
1139 posts
334 upvotes
I already have a google number... but it's connected to my freephoneline one, and it can't be verified now. I shall wait.
T_T my monehhh
Sep 21, 2004
8277 posts
1820 upvotes
Calgary
shushwap wrote:
Nov 21st, 2012 3:03 pm
People are going to get a real eye opener when they get there cell bills and find out the local access # is not a local call...
Why? Please elaborate.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
× < >