Cell Phones

Google Voice readying its Canadian launch?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 7th, 2013 5:29 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 29, 2012
23 posts
6 upvotes
techfox wrote:
Dec 18th, 2012 4:53 pm
I tried adding a 416# to an account that had $0 balance but an active US number - failed.

I was however successful in adding a 416# to an account that had $10 balance with an active US number.
How long ago did you do this? I'm at the part now where I want to verify my 416 number... It won't let me do it... :(

On the web GV interface, it says country does not match phone country. On the GV app of my android phone, it says could not verify. :(

I do have a US number that I set up with text+ and that is verified. Anyone else have success with verifying a 416 number by adding $10 to the account?
Sep 23, 2008
19 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Hey Guys,

Hoping one of you may have this answer. I setup googlevoice while on a trip down to the states last month. Since being home in Nova Scotia, I have attached my local Cell number and had it verify, and successfully used the "Google voice" to direct dial some friends in the states. I looked at my bill from Rogers and the call was placed to a toronto number. Is there any way to see which number google voice uses? when I look at my call log I only see the call to my friend's number. I just want to make sure that if I add this 416 number to my my10. that it will use this number. Is there perhaps a better way to set this up? I really do like the direct dial method.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9370 posts
1937 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
Er-Gott wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 11:38 am
Hey Guys,

Hoping one of you may have this answer. I setup googlevoice while on a trip down to the states last month. Since being home in Nova Scotia, I have attached my local Cell number and had it verify, and successfully used the "Google voice" to direct dial some friends in the states. I looked at my bill from Rogers and the call was placed to a toronto number. Is there any way to see which number google voice uses? when I look at my call log I only see the call to my friend's number. I just want to make sure that if I add this 416 number to my my10. that it will use this number. Is there perhaps a better way to set this up? I really do like the direct dial method.
I think with the direct dial number there is no guarantee it will always be the same, but chances are good. If you can use the callback (click2call) then the incoming number would always be your own GV number. Not great for calling circles since it will be a US number, but if you have unlimited incoming it is an option.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Sep 21, 2004
8357 posts
1871 upvotes
Calgary
Er-Gott wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 11:38 am
Hey Guys,

You can see the routing number for a couple seconds while it's being routed. I've attached the screenshot.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Sep 23, 2008
19 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Now it's funny, when I try this I don't see the blue message that you have in your attached screen shot. I'm using a Galaxy Note 2. is there a setting I need to change?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3217 posts
340 upvotes
Er-Gott wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 12:16 pm
Now it's funny, when I try this I don't see the blue message that you have in your attached screen shot. I'm using a Galaxy Note 2. is there a setting I need to change?
Not everyone sees that.... I dont see it on my phone either
Sep 21, 2004
8357 posts
1871 upvotes
Calgary
shushwap wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 12:19 pm
Not everyone sees that.... I dont see it on my phone either
That's interesting. I can also see this number (403-910-4286) rather than the numbers I dialed on the Wind bill.

I am running CM10 (AOSP) if this makes a difference.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Jan 21, 2012
12 posts
1 upvote
can't wait for google voice to fully launch in Canada with all features just as in usa!

also, can anyone verify if they can get google voice sms to their Canadian phone after successfully verifying it ?
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11388 posts
2083 upvotes
Toronto
social17 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 11:53 am
can't wait for google voice to fully launch in Canada with all features just as in usa!

also, can anyone verify if they can get google voice sms to their Canadian phone after successfully verifying it ?
I can do both calls and sms via GV. Search this RFD forum. I provide instructions on what I did to get set up. Not going to repeat it again here.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2016 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
social17 wrote:

Yea, works for me. I had verified it end of November. However, can not seem to verify a phone I got a week ago.

When did you verify your phone number?
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2007
1016 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
When you call someone using GV which number do they see? You phone number or a GV number?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
2016 posts
309 upvotes
Toronto
awaisuk wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 3:39 pm
When you call someone using GV which number do they see? You phone number or a GV number?
GV number
Jan 21, 2012
12 posts
1 upvote
peteryorkuca wrote:
Dec 21st, 2012 2:51 pm
Yea, works for me. I had verified it end of November. However, can not seem to verify a phone I got a week ago.

When did you verify your phone number?
i was not able to verify my number!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6610 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
social17 wrote:

Not sure that will happen. Has anyone seen ANY google posting on plans to move to Canada? So far I've not heard a peep other than the unofficial ways of circumventing this.
× < >