• Nov 16th, 2018 9:36 am
[OP]
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
662 upvotes

Google's Night Sight launches for all Pixel phones

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/11/1 ... -download/

Google camera with night sight mode is officially out and available for pixels (1st to 3rd gen). The sideload apk versions had issues with stability from what some of my friends using the first gen pixel told me. Hope official version fixed that

At the Pixel 3 launch event in NYC, Google showed off what it called "Night Sight," a feature that produced incredible looking photos in a near-absence of light. Modified versions of the Google Camera app gave everyone willing to sideload them an early taste at the feature, but the wait is now over. And according to Google, Night Sight is rolling out for all Pixel devices, past and present, in the coming days.

In a Blog post on the subject today — which goes into delightful detail about precisely how Night Sight works — the specifics of compatibility were revealed as well. Although it's rolling out to the 2016 Pixel and Pixel 2 as well as the Pixel 3, aspects of its performance are precisely tuned for the latter, so don't expect quite the same experience on each. The OG Pixel also lacks optical image stabilization, so it has to use shorter exposures, which can further compromise the quality compared to more recent hardware. Still, it's pretty slick to see a two-year-old device picking up new features.

iPhone XS (left) and Pixel 3 w/ Night Sight (right).
Last edited by Gboard2 on Nov 16th, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17416 posts
1610 upvotes
Woodbridge
Posted on the Pixel 3 thread...

Impressive and I'm not into pics. lol
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Oct 12, 2016
586 posts
159 upvotes
So its only applicable to google phones?No luck for samsung galaxy s8?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
7951 posts
519 upvotes
Scarborough
I read somewhere on XDA forums, there was a mod camera apk file. Follow XDA on Facebook for any new updates.

PS. I just installed the apk file and took a shot in my dark bedroom (only the computer monitor on), WOW!
frendzpz wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 8:00 pm
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14650 posts
1048 upvotes
Markham
frendzpz wrote:
I've had good luck with Tolyan009 releases
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15876 posts
6024 upvotes
Oakville
Sweet! Still no sign of it on my Pixel 2 XL, but it's usually a couple days/ weeks before these features show up.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1267 posts
863 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
frendzpz wrote:
Go to Pro mode and crank up the ISO and/or exposure length. No night mode needed. Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
1086 posts
238 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 3:13 pm
Sweet! Still no sign of it on my Pixel 2 XL, but it's usually a couple days/ weeks before these features show up.
FWIW I got a Google Camera update yesterday for my (original) Pixel XL, the What's new / Description did not say anything about Night Sight, but the feature is there after the update.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15876 posts
6024 upvotes
Oakville
ssiu wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 5:35 pm
FWIW I got a Google Camera update yesterday for my (original) Pixel XL, the What's new / Description did not say anything about Night Sight, but the feature is there after the update.
Yup, it showed up for me too. Nice surprise to see a "Google is rolling out this feature for everybody" and have it actually roll out for me. :) It's pretty impressive just how much light it manages to pull. Here's a off/on comparison from my P2XL:

Last edited by wearysky on Nov 16th, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
662 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 9:02 am
Yup, it showed up for me too. Nice surprise to see a "Google is rolling out this feature for everybody" and have it actually roll out for me. :) It's pretty impressive just how much light it manages to pull. Here's a off/on comparison from my P2XL:

Your second pic wasnt loading, fixed it (I think)
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15876 posts
6024 upvotes
Oakville
Gboard2 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 9:31 am
Your second pic wasnt loading, fixed it (I think)
Tks. Forgot that I had cut and pasted the BBCode directly from imgur, so I didn't need to click the img button in here as well :)