• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2016 3:42 am
Tags:
None
Aug 26, 2009
450 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto
To play devil's advocate, if you guys remember, FB went up more than 10% after lock-up expiration. The reason attributed was blockbuster earnings and shift of sentiment. Now, if GoPro smashes expectations on the earnings front and gives out some bullish holiday season guidance, there is no reason why it cannot sustain these levels even after lock up period expires.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 9, 2008
5684 posts
2251 upvotes
Thornhill
jainik18 wrote: To play devil's advocate, if you guys remember, FB went up more than 10% after lock-up expiration. The reason attributed was blockbuster earnings and shift of sentiment. Now, if GoPro smashes expectations on the earnings front and gives out some bullish holiday season guidance, there is no reason why it cannot sustain these levels even after lock up period expires.
Wait, did you just compare Facebook with GoPro?? :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
IMHO, it is beyond stupid to invest anything in Gopro.
1. The competition is picking up. 2 years ago there was almost none. In a year, every manufacturer will have an action cam and many already starting to release their version and the competition will only increase from there. Some of the competitors are 50% cheaper and I bet they will keep it that way,capturing a good portion of the market. GoPro has a lot of issues and drawbacks. Battery life is still bad and some of the competitors have their cams at 2X better battery life.

To add to this, Not a lot of people who have current GoPro3 black+ are upgrading to GoPro4 as there's VERY LITTLE need to upgrade. Multiple tests already show that there's no difference in quality between 3 and 4. This will hurt the sales.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 25, 2006
8454 posts
3628 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote: Everything in the rear-view is obvious. There's nothing fundamentally 'right' about this stock, it's been short-squeezing mixed with investors' sky-high sentiments that's been pumping GOPRO up so much.

How about today's drop? Bet you saw that one coming too? :D
Hind sight is 20/20, however, I called it the next day of IPO.

Big drop yes, but I don't speculate, I analyze the economics of the company's earning capacity.

Edit: Damn you guys are still haters. I still haven't seen any real reason why GPRO is a bad stock to buy yet. All I want to see is increasing revenues and the holiday season is the best time of year to witness that.
"If you make a mistake but then change your ways, it is like never having made a mistake at all" - Confucius
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
No problem, yesterday it fell to $80 a share, then it climbed back up to $87 @ the closing, people are already making a nice profit from this gap. Currently despite the news that is circulating around, people are still buying into GoPro, there is still a lot of demand for this stock, what are these people thinking?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2010
2029 posts
804 upvotes
Vancouver
IMWHFMPC wrote: No problem, yesterday it fell to $80 a share, then it climbed back up to $87 @ the closing, people are already making a nice profit from this gap. Currently despite the news that is circulating around, people are still buying into GoPro, there is still a lot of demand for this stock, what are these people thinking?
Traders/gamblers.
Apr 20, 2014
122 posts
9 upvotes
North York, ON
dlhunter wrote: You have no clue (short selling restriction in effect)
If no one sells or allowed to, it's natural to go up...
Wait till Monday... I will be looking to sell above 90

where does it say gopro cant be shorted right now? and who decides when and if a stock can be shorted, or not?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
dlhunter wrote: You have no clue (short selling restriction in effect)
If no one sells or allowed to, it's natural to go up...
Wait till Monday... I will be looking to sell above 90
Don't sell at 90, it will go to 100 for sure before xmas. I bought it when it was 37.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
dlhunter wrote: here we are, SO ready to tank and no shares available. none! my order is working now at any price if IB can locate stock.
GPRO is amazing opportunity, IMO, secondary is due any day now.
Lol, good luck with that. Firms are raising price target already, from 90 to 105.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
dlhunter wrote: yes, remember those upgrades when AAPL hit 700 2 years ago? 1111, 900, 850, etc. And what happened? APPL fell all the way to 385.
analysts don't have a clue, just as I don't know what will happen. but I like my odds here... won't be surprised if it gaps up tomorrow to sell off later.

edit: more recent example: ACQ. RBC upgraded when it hit 90, few others followed. Stock last week was trading below 55. When firms upgrade, sell.
People are anticipating the holiday season, also the new Hero4 black has powerful demand judging from retail store sales. Overall it's still fuelling the stock right now. Also there seems to be a lot of discussion on future of GoPro in a positive way, so it will continue to climb at least for some time. Bet a lot of people are selling at 100 though. GoPro is a relatively newer company than AAPL, so there's not enough information so people are betting on it.
Apr 20, 2014
122 posts
9 upvotes
North York, ON
dlhunter wrote: as much as I want to sell, shares not available (none to borrow). this sucks... they make the float tiny for a reason - easier to manipulate.

Edit: finally, stock located. Sold small @94.
do you mean you just sold short? how many shares?
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
dlhunter wrote: as much as I want to sell, shares not available (none to borrow). this sucks... they make the float tiny for a reason - easier to manipulate.

Good job!
Aug 26, 2009
450 posts
59 upvotes
Toronto

I don't think it will drop below previous support of around $80 until earnings is out of the way. The combination of low float, over enthusiasm and difficulty in borrowing makes it a very risky short.

A day trade might work out but positional trade can be dangerous.
Jun 20, 2012
90 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
This thing is plummeting like crazy, and for almost no reason.
Mar 4, 2006
290 posts
40 upvotes
COO leaving.. smell fishy? lockup expires on the 17th, still thinking if it's a good time to enter this stock
Jun 20, 2012
90 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga
andygx wrote: COO leaving.. smell fishy? lockup expires on the 17th, still thinking if it's a good time to enter this stock
The COO was initially from a PE firm that had invested in GoPro, so it wasn't likely that she would stay there forever.
Oct 16, 2008
997 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
anybody hating themselves for still holding on gopro right now?

current loss: $2000 USD :(
Mar 4, 2006
290 posts
40 upvotes
Tempting to buy, never seen it this low for a while.
Nov 8, 2009
534 posts
277 upvotes
andygx wrote: Tempting to buy, never seen it this low for a while.
I have a price target of $37 myself for a short term trade if it hits that level.
Feb 25, 2015
218 posts
74 upvotes
TGokou wrote: I have a price target of $37 myself for a short term trade if it hits that level.
Seems like there is support at 37, would it be better to buy at 38 and 39? I don't think it will go down to 37 before it swell up.