Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga

GoPro 4 as Family Second Cam

Is the GoPro a good fit as a second camera for our family? 2 active adults and crazy 6 yr old girl. Want to take vid from remote, underwater, mtb, daughter will use like a camera/camcorder.

We have Sony R100 as P&S but it seems most pics get taken with our phones!

Main thoughts is something simple and durable for our daughter to use and for underwater and taking on the odd ride on bike or board.

Other thought is to simply buy underwater housing for iPhone 6 and use what we have for the other uses (leaving out action sport).

Cheers
Van G
28 replies
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Any takers?

Can it be used handheld like a camera or camcorder? Assuming the touch screen would allow this at this point.
Van G
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Looks like Nikon AW120 is the better route for us as we don't really need helmet mounts.
Van G
Feb 25, 2003
480 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
The one big thing for the GoPro (for me) is that its super wide fisheye lens; it will complement a lot of existing cameras you have right now.

The GoPro has nice video and decent stills; I find most rugged underwater cameras to have less than stellar picture and video quality
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2010 posts
1084 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I'd just go with the 3+, if it's only for casual use, the 4 may be overkill unless you have money to spend.

They're rugged and small and can take a beating with the waterproof case - great with kids and underwater.

My go-to quick setup is to use the Joby micro tripod, http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... uage=en-CA, along with a tripod mount, makes everything pocketable and allows for a little handle and can be easily manoeuvred.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2002
1984 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
I say... wait for a sale on Hero3+, even 3 could be good enough. You just need to know what features are needed or not.

But remember these ain't as cheap, purchase one of those Point & Shoot WaterProof camera is better choice.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
17587 posts
2874 upvotes
Toronto
I've got an Olympus TG-3 and I have to say environmental seals should be considered an essential feature nowadays on point and shoots. Taking your camera into the ocean or to a snowy/rainy environment allows so much more freedom than those old ones, and lets you remember much more of your vacations.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
25501 posts
3701 upvotes
Hamilton
Sony action cam as100 with camcorder attachment.

Or a legit sj4000
$35/5GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2009
1420 posts
109 upvotes
One of our cameras is a go pro and we love it! Water parks, snowboarding etc it's the go to camera for us.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1770 posts
455 upvotes
North York
Definitely go with the AW120 if you're not gonna take advantage of the mount system or ultra high video resolution. Please note that underwater point and shoots require a bit of cleaning after every use. I've seen a lot of them take in water because people leave it uncleaned. Do not get the AW110 if it comes up. It has a sealing issue. The AW120 was improved a lot.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Would definitely go for 3 or 3+ but I thought 4 had Display on back and improved wireless connectivity for remote op/view. Display is appealing to use it as P&S for my daughter. Does it function that way?

Clearly the GoPro is the more expensive proposition. Will have to think if we'll take advantage of mounts or go with AW120.

We had an Olympus TG take on water last year which leaves me hesitant to got the P&S route again. I assume PQ of AW120 is much better than the earlier generation Olympus we had.

Amazon deal days approaching. We'll see what comes up!
Van G
Dec 30, 2009
169 posts
23 upvotes
Montreal
GoPro Hero4 Silver has a built-in LCD screen. Picture/video quality is pretty much the same as the Hero 3+ Black.

GoPro Hero4 Black, which is more expensive can do 4k @ 30 fps as well as 1080p @ 120fps, but does not have the LCD screen. The silver can only do 4k @ 15 fps, and 1080p @ 60fps.

Both Hero4 cameras support bluetooth + wifi. Hero 3 or 3+ cameras don't.

They also have night picture modes which the hero 3+ doesn't.

The Hero 3+ black comes w/ the wifi remote, while the Hero 4 cameras don't.

Forget about the White version of the cameras. If you are a casual user that doesn't really need the capabilities of the Hero 4 Black, then the Hero 3+ Black or the Hero 4 Silver are good choices.
Nov 19, 2014
81 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto, ON
GoPro is pretty much useless in terms of voice and video recording.

Its only good for exploring and then recording an audio layer later explaining what is happening.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2010 posts
1084 upvotes
Toronto
WigglyingAway wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2014 10:15 am
GoPro is pretty much useless in terms of voice and video recording.

Its only good for exploring and then recording an audio layer later explaining what is happening.
I strongly recommend not listening to this guy.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1770 posts
455 upvotes
North York
vtse wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2014 12:54 pm
I strongly recommend not listening to this guy.
+1