None
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24962 posts
2975 upvotes
Hamilton
vtse wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2014 12:54 pm
I strongly recommend not listening to this guy.
Lmao. Totally agreed
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Have my eyes out for BF deal on Hero4 Silver. Will go 4K next time ;)

Looking forward to Christmas.
Thanks for the replies.
Van G
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Cheers.

Any tips on what accessories I should get to start with?

Already have a small tripod. Activities we'll use it for for the first few months is swimming, tobagoning, snorkelling, general shenanigans.
Van G
Dec 30, 2009
156 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
Monopod is always useful.

If you're going to be in the water snorkeling/swimming, a floaty backdoor or a bobber floating grip.

For snorkeling, it's useful to have some kind of monopod combined w/ a floaty backdoor that wouldn't be too heavy to sink if you lose it or let it go. You can bring the camera much closer to the fish this way.

The Jaw clamp is apparently very useful, but I don't have it.

Some extra advice: Check out Micbergsma's youtube channel for a lot of gopro advice. Also if you're handy and would like to create your own accessories, you can check out http://www.reddit.com/r/goprodiy
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
On the hunt for floaty monopod and headstrap! Thanks for the link to Micbergsma's.
Van G
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Sirakoz wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 10:45 am
If you're on the hunt for cheaper prices, check out dx.com

e.g. bobber floating handgrip.
Cool - how is the quality vs. GoPole? Figured I'd buy a floaty monopole to cover all my bases but GoPole is $40 for the Evo. You can really break the bank apres purchse!
Van G
Dec 30, 2009
156 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
No complaints so far, but I'm not an extreme user.

I bought an extensible pole a long time ago from dx.com ($10 vs $40), and I still use it. It never took much impact because I never used it for those purposes, so I can't complain about it.

I also bought the bobber not too long ago, and I'm not sure how it compares to the gopole bobber because water leaks in bit by bit into it, though after an hour of playing in the ocean, all that got in was like 2 tablespoons of water, which is not enough for it to sink or anything.

The only thing that I wouldn't be really sure about is the suction cup if you want to attach it to the hood of the car or similar.
[OP]
Apr 3, 2007
511 posts
8 upvotes
Mississauga
Picked up Hero4 Silver and a few accessories on BF. All wrapped up and under the Christmas tree.

Thanks for the feedback.
Van G
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
24962 posts
2975 upvotes
Hamilton
Sirakoz wrote:
Nov 26th, 2014 2:19 pm
No complaints so far, but I'm not an extreme user.

I bought an extensible pole a long time ago from dx.com ($10 vs $40), and I still use it. It never took much impact because I never used it for those purposes, so I can't complain about it.

I also bought the bobber not too long ago, and I'm not sure how it compares to the gopole bobber because water leaks in bit by bit into it, though after an hour of playing in the ocean, all that got in was like 2 tablespoons of water, which is not enough for it to sink or anything.

The only thing that I wouldn't be really sure about is the suction cup if you want to attach it to the hood of the car or similar.
I got one of those poles from dx. Its garbage. Rusted in couple days after water use and the rubber on the handle.... Ugh....
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
1943 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto
Van G wrote:
Dec 5th, 2014 9:01 am
Picked up Hero4 Silver and a few accessories on BF. All wrapped up and under the Christmas tree.

Thanks for the feedback.
Congrats on the decision, I'm sort of regretting getting the 4 Black as 4K requires a bit of power to process - touchscreen all-in-one package is definitely attractive!
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1362 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I have the gopro4 black and it is great for general snaps and it's pretty good at focusing underwater(unlike many ps cameras). However, quality of the photographs is waaay behind newer point and shoot cameras such as Canon s120 or Sony Rx100(i,ii,iii). Images from Gopro look pretty good at maybe 2000pix max,but at full resolution they look bloody awful lol.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Jan 10, 2010
29 posts
1 upvote
vtse wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2014 12:54 pm
I strongly recommend not listening to this guy.
Definitely has no clue. Movie quality is solid, great pics (at close range), and voice is adequate using a frame instead of the waterproof case. Just go on their website to get examples of what can be accomplished.