Tags:
[OP]
Dec 27, 2005
363 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Gopro 5 or 6 or neither!

I just got a Sony a6500 ...

My brother has a GoPro Hero 5 which we used last year on a family vacation with kids in the pool and all. it was pretty cool

I've been thinking about it but can't really decide if I really need it! but at the same time I want it! or if maybe there is a cheaper alternative you guys use?

I know with a6500 I can do video and all as well .

do you guys own a sports cam? if so which one
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9980 posts
4293 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Hero6 if you want 4K 60fps for more creativity than the 5’s 30fps, and if you want a rugged little device to attach to things and take into water/snow.

If you’re not going down ski hills, into a pool/ocean, or affixing it to a helmet/motorcycle/car etc, no point in having a “little action cam”, use your camera (or phone in good light) for 4K video.

There are several improvements in the Hero6 over 5, and how it’s better than the Yi (also 4K 60fps) and other 3rd party options, you can YouTube comparison videos. You’ll have to decide yourself how much those features and improvements mean to you. If it’s just capturing family footage, depends what they’re doing, your budget, maybe not worth the pro level, I don’t know.

Your movements, use of gimbal, storytelling and editing are bigger factors whichever camera you employ.

Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1299 posts
265 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't need the "action type camera" then a newish phone will deliver better quality for both photos and videos. Get a selfie stick and you are good to go :)

You can also consider just buying a waterproof housing for your Sony. They are usually around $150-200. I have one for the Rx100 and it's great. I regret purchasing the gopro... It just sits on the shelf most of the year. I just use it for snowboarding once in a while,but I can easily do it with my phone if I really had to.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
10751 posts
1754 upvotes
Ottawa
also consider the Sony X3000, excellent OIS stabilization in all video modes.

The other difference between an action cam and a phone is the field of view, With an action cam, everything is always in focus and you generally aim it in the direction of your subject matter. You'd have to add a ultra wide angle lens to your camera or phone to get the same field of view.

Personally, it's good to have both. I switch between my camera (RX100) and my action cam depending on what I am filming. I 'm looking to replace my camera with a phone with gimbal at some point, but the action cam is so small and easy to deploy in a wide variety of situations I can't see myself leaving it behind
Honey, I can't go to bed yet. Somebody is wrong on the Internet!
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3505 posts
294 upvotes
dbl post
Last edited by twitchyzero on Dec 14th, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3505 posts
294 upvotes
you have a superb body that many probably can only dream of owning

unless you're often in situations where you're prone to breaking it

i would rather spend the money on a gimbal ...crane-M or c45 w/ weights

I only kept the x3000 and xiaomi 4k60 around because I'm hoping to get into diving soon

after a few hero4 black and the 5 black briefly, I told myself no more GoPros, I'd get card errors when it runs just fine on other devices, and the competition yields superior results for cheaper
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Jan 30, 2006
210 posts
43 upvotes
Richmond Hill, Toron…
The gopro is cool, but there are many substitutions to Gopro, just make sure you have money spending on a nice gimble .
I got my Gopro 4 Silver couple years ago, i took it to Australia and New Zealand on a trip, most of the footage came out too shaky.
I then purchased the Feiyu G4s , couldn't be happier , you can even consider buying the JDI Osmo which has a built in gimble , the only downside of the Osmo is that you can't use them under water.
Feb 11, 2010
71 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
I been using sjcam 5000x elite which took on trip worth the price and it have image stabilization built in. It got all those attachment and under water housing.

Take a look. It's one of the popular alternative.