Art and Photography

GoPro vs Generic Waterproof Camera for Vacation P&S?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 9:14 am
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9118 posts
3350 upvotes
Southern Ontario
amz155 wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 8:40 am
Of the P&S listed in the OP, which would you guys recommend? OP, did you decide what to go with yet? Interested to hear what you chose as I'm currently deciding between them too.

Leaning towards a P&S since our primary interest is taking video. But as we are going to be doing lots of active things (canyoning, trekking, snorkeling in the Galapagos), it needs to be pretty robust. Don't wanna risk taking our iPhones on excursions in case they break or get stolen (we have 5s and 6 only).
Get a cheaper Asian clone GoPro + various attachments. If you want stabilized video, you still need a gimbal whether on an action cam or P&S.

1080p is fine if you want to keep costs down on a non 4K cam. In iMovie, you can trim, splice together, speed up/slow down parts of a clip, ignore the elevated drone footage you wouldn't be doing:

It's a bit trickier doing 1st person video with a larger P&S vs a little action cam if that's what appeals to you. Remember to live in the moment and put that camera down!
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 11:27 am
Get a cheaper Asian clone GoPro + various attachments. If you want stabilized video, you still need a gimbal whether on an action cam or P&S.

1080p is fine if you want to keep costs down on a non 4K cam. In iMovie, you can trim, splice together, speed up/slow down parts of a clip, ignore the elevated drone footage you wouldn't be doing:

It's a bit trickier doing 1st person video with a larger P&S vs a little action cam if that's what appeals to you. Remember to live in the moment and put that camera down!
I'm a goof and made a typo that completely changes my question :facepalm: I should've written that video ISN'T our primary interest. We want something that does take video, but I'd say 80% of our use will just be for photos.

I have my eye on the Xiaomi one but then we'd still need a camera for photos. We currently use a Canon SX230 and wish we had something a bit more robust in terms of the elements/dirt, and have always missed not being able to use it while adventuring in the water.

We def don't need a 4K cam. For the most part we do nothing with our trip photos and videos after we get back. BUT, going forward we would like to take stills and short video snippets and pice them together in a montage like you did.

Now that I've clarified my goof, would your advice change? Thanks!
Last edited by amz155 on Feb 5th, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9118 posts
3350 upvotes
Southern Ontario
That's ok, other ppl read these boards and my answer might help them. If you want protection mainly for pics, I just got home from Costco, this is on sale. It's bright visibility yellow and comes with a floating strap and memory card, although I'd bring a few more high capacity cards and maybe an extra battery off Amazon.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the salt off in a bath of tap water after ocean use. You might also want to get it early and practice as it'll be a different UI than Canon.

Reviews: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html

There might be better shock/waterproof P&S's out there but you'll have to balance it out with the lower price and excellent Costco policies.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 1:10 pm
That's ok, other ppl read these boards and my answer might help them. If you want protection mainly for pics, I just got home from Costco, this is on sale. It's bright visibility yellow and comes with a floating strap and memory card, although I'd bring a few more high capacity cards and maybe an extra battery off Amazon.

Make sure you thoroughly clean the salt off in a bath of tap water after ocean use. You might also want to get it early and practice as it'll be a different UI than Canon.

Reviews: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... gital.html

There might be better shock/waterproof P&S's out there but you'll have to balance it out with the lower price and excellent Costco policies.
Thanks for that! We went to Costco last weekend and that camera was $374! I'll see if it's on sale in our area too :)

Chatted with my husband a bit, and we wonder if this might be a good bet for water/rugged activity and then we hang onto our Canon SX230 for another year and just practice with it more to be able to take better shots.

https://www.amazon.ca/AKASO-Waterproof- ... I5B0Y?th=1

My husband said he read some reviews of the seal going after a few years on the Nikon. Costco's return policies do make it very enticing....
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3304 posts
225 upvotes
amz155,

i'm bringing the Sony X3000 action cam also for my upcoming trip to South America (not Galapagos though...Rapa Nui and Patagonia)

hoping to do some easy diving with it (housing is rated 60m)

I haven't quite figured out how I will attach it when diving...probably just get an adapter and use a gopro mount.

I have a dedicated camera for photos, I can't think of one camera that does rugged video AND photos without sacrificing image quality.

Good luck on your search and have a great time in Galapagos...after watching the BBC documentary on it it's definitely on my list :)
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4097 posts
48 upvotes
Cambridge
I'm in the same situation. My P&S is a Canon SX280 which takes awesome video 1080p/60 as well as stills, 20x optical zoom yada yada.

But water is a no go and a proper waterproof case costs $400.

So I'm getting what amounts to a heavy ziplock bag with a lens for $45. A DicaPac.

Most of my shots are not in the water so I'm trying to avoid the investment.

FWIW my research for waterproof P&S took me to the Olympus TG-4 and Nikon Coolpix AW-130. If I get the chance I might buy one used as a low cost of entry.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
stevethewheel wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 11:39 pm
I'm in the same situation. My P&S is a Canon SX280 which takes awesome video 1080p/60 as well as stills, 20x optical zoom yada yada.

But water is a no go and a proper waterproof case costs $400.

So I'm getting what amounts to a heavy ziplock bag with a lens for $45. A DicaPac.

Most of my shots are not in the water so I'm trying to avoid the investment.

FWIW my research for waterproof P&S took me to the Olympus TG-4 and Nikon Coolpix AW-130. If I get the chance I might buy one used as a low cost of entry.
Where do you recommend looking for used ones?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
3619 posts
645 upvotes
Halifax
why not both? I always bring two cameras and multiple cards on my vacations. Never want one to fail without a backup.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 8:12 am
why not both? I always bring two cameras and multiple cards on my vacations. Never want one to fail without a backup.
I guess in my case we don't want to spend money on a waterproof action cam AND a new P&S. But the more I read, the more I can appreciate that either option isn't going to excel at filling both roles.

This one seems to be pretty good too and I'm leaning towards this over the Xiaomi:

https://www.amazon.ca/AKASO-Waterproof- ... I5B0Y?th=1

There is also a cheaper 1080p version.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9118 posts
3350 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I do not recommend a used waterproof camera because their seals always eventually fail, once water shorts inside, it's dead. My Panasonic Tough actually has a suggested seal replacement schedule.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 12, 2007
5892 posts
566 upvotes
Greely
We have a Panasonic DMC-TS5 (previously had the 3 and the 1), great camera.

I use the GoPro for diving.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3304 posts
225 upvotes
neverhaveiever wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 8:12 am
minimalism and being lightweight is often valued more when travelling
most ppl wouldn't mind using their phone camera as a backup esp now that phones from last few years can do decent daylight photos and shoot 4K.
heck if ruggedness and low light is not important, I'd just suggest a gimbal for your phone.
Russell wrote:
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4276 posts
184 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 9:22 am
I do not recommend a used waterproof camera because their seals always eventually fail, once water shorts inside, it's dead. My Panasonic Tough actually has a suggested seal replacement schedule.
Oh, good point. Reminds me that my husband said he was reading through reviews and some mentioned the seal eventually going.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2003
4097 posts
48 upvotes
Cambridge
amz155 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 8:10 am
Where do you recommend looking for used ones?
I've bought 2 from eBay. First an SX270 but I really wanted the wifi so later an SX280 and gave the 270 to my MIL. Awesome cams. Have a spare battery since video eats the power fast.

Thanks to the posters who mentioned the seals age with time. Maybe I won't go that route.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3304 posts
225 upvotes
rubberbandman wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 2:31 pm
I bought a hero 5 from best buy during the price error and got it for a great deal
how much was it with the price error?
Russell wrote: