Art and Photography

GoPro vs Generic Waterproof Camera for Vacation P&S?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2017 9:14 am
Dec 12, 2005
903 posts
85 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 6:01 pm
amz155,

i'm bringing the Sony X3000 action cam also for my upcoming trip to South America (not Galapagos though...Rapa Nui and Patagonia)

hoping to do some easy diving with it (housing is rated 60m)

I haven't quite figured out how I will attach it when diving...probably just get an adapter and use a gopro mount.

I have a dedicated camera for photos, I can't think of one camera that does rugged video AND photos without sacrificing image quality.

Good luck on your search and have a great time in Galapagos...after watching the BBC documentary on it it's definitely on my list :)
After using the first version of the Sony Action cam and also having a older Olympus TG camera, I find that the action cameras are quite worthy now and would be my choice for my next trips as my adventure camera. I'd still bring a DSLR or M4/3 to capture more landscape shots, but if it's more for adventure perspective, the action cameras are great given you can mount them, put them underwater, support up to 4K(most), fairly small and discreet if you plan to vlog the trip, etc.

I recently bought the new Sony FDR X3000 after reviewing it to the GoPro and other action cameras. If you are planning on making a small edit video of your trip, the stabilization on the X3000 works great out of the box. Of course a gimbal would make it better, but the BOSS(Balanced Optical Steady Shot) system that Sony advertises seems to be really work. The steady shot has been around on their video cameras for years now.

I'm quite excited to use it for an upcoming Hawaii trip and making a similar vid that Ancaster did(great job btw). But for the OP, if you still need a camera for everyday use, then go with a P&S like an Olympus TG or the Nikon AW, but if you already have something like that and rather take great videos, I'd stick with a GoPro or Sony IMO.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3350 posts
230 upvotes
I used the x3000 with a backpack shoulder strap mount for a hiking trip few months ago...thought maybe I could get away with BOSS then use warp stabilizer in post (haven't got around to editing it).

while the footage might be usable I'm going to be trying it with a gimbal this time (I've used Hero4 Black with a gimbal before, it was pretty decent...but that gimbal died before my trip ended haha).

I'm not sure I'll keep this new gimbal yet since the waterproof/wearable gimbals are finally coming out.

I will note the existing Chinese gimbals are fairly fragile. They go haywire (mine started spinning furiously on its own lol)...others report exposed wires fray after few months of use.

There just aren't any big companies aside from DJI that can offer good quality control. Even their new stuff on to the market will have weird issues.

Growing pains of a new, but rapidly-advancing market.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Sep 4, 2016
371 posts
106 upvotes
My family member just went to a trip and took the following eith them

A7R2
A7S2
5DM3
GH4
GoPro 4
Phantom 4
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3350 posts
230 upvotes
did he/she have a porter?
if not I hope it was all by car and minimal walking haha
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9199 posts
3400 upvotes
Southern Ontario
No pics, no proof ;)

I could see if it was for a paid shoot and multiple people involved. Would need separate Pelicans for lenses, modifiers, sliders, gimbals, and other gear.
Sep 4, 2016
371 posts
106 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:00 pm
did he/she have a porter?
if not I hope it was all by car and minimal walking haha
They flew and they transports it by a couple full sized Lowepro backpacks and a Pelican case. They rented a private resort for 2 weeks so very minimal walking with the gear.

They went to a place in the Carribean so it was dark at night and the only source of light they had was candles. They dive so they used the GoPro under water for that. The A7SII was the main camera they used for the video (because of the amazing low light capability), the daughter used the 5DM3 for photos and the wife used the A7RII for photos. The GH4 was used for tripod work. They used the drone to be at the end of their clips. The kids were taught how to operate the cameras.

It was pretty amazing seeing what the A7SII could do. They just brought one lens with it, the 28-70 f2.8.
Sep 4, 2016
371 posts
106 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 10:30 pm
No pics, no proof ;)

I could see if it was for a paid shoot and multiple people involved. Would need separate Pelicans for lenses, modifiers, sliders, gimbals, and other gear.
It wasn't paid, they're just really into photography and videgraphy and were into it way back even well before action cams even existed. The kids have gotten into it as well. I know they want to sell the Phantom 4 and get the Inspire so that they can mount on of the Sony FF cameras up on it and get even better video.

They didn't need gimbals or sliders, just one tripod and the rest was handheld. The kids have gotten quite good in operating the cameras, my niece has even started getting into video editing her own videos in Premiere Pro. So while most children today spend their free time playing Call of Duty and shouting profanities to imaginary friends online, my niece and nephews are learning skills that can benefit them for their future.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9199 posts
3400 upvotes
Southern Ontario
DiamondDallasPage wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2017 11:59 pm
It wasn't paid, they're just really into photography and videgraphy and were into it way back even well before action cams even existed. The kids have gotten into it as well. I know they want to sell the Phantom 4 and get the Inspire so that they can mount on of the Sony FF cameras up on it and get even better video.

They didn't need gimbals or sliders, just one tripod and the rest was handheld. The kids have gotten quite good in operating the cameras, my niece has even started getting into video editing her own videos in Premiere Pro. So while most children today spend their free time playing Call of Duty and shouting profanities to imaginary friends online, my niece and nephews are learning skills that can benefit them for their future.
Good show! You originally said "family member" so it sounded like one person, still a lot of $$ gear I'd hate to get stolen.

I'm really into to it too but on vacation, a lot of the time I'm like Sean Penn in Walter Mitty, enjoying the moment with my family, no gear in my hands.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
2545 posts
248 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote:
Feb 24th, 2017 12:31 am
Good show! You originally said "family member" so it sounded like one person, still a lot of $$ gear I'd hate to get stolen.

I'm really into to it too but on vacation, a lot of the time I'm like Sean Penn in Walter Mitty, enjoying the moment with my family, no gear in my hands.

The key is that both parents are into it and they have started to outsource work to the kids!

Sounds like a lot of fun!
Aug 28, 2005
276 posts
44 upvotes
chekacr9 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2017 11:10 am
Action camera has a very wide angle.. You can probably aim at your object, the wide field of view would take it all in.

A traditional water resistance camera from Fuji/Nikon/Olympus has relative narrower field of view compare to action camera. So photo taken with traditional camera looks more normal. If you don't want to 'wear' your camera, get a traditional water resistance/proof camera. Or get both.
This is true, and one additional note about this if you are shopping for water resistant cameras: Olympus has a few different types of water resistance cameras in their Tough range - two particularly that offer very different lens options depending on what type of shooting you value more.

The TG-4 has an f/2.0 lens with a relatively normal focal length for better low-light situations while the TG-870 has a slower f/3.5 with an almost ultra-wide focal length for capturing a wider field of view (it's something like 21mm equiv at the wide end, which is pretty wide for a point & shoot; probably wider than most people need).

I have an older version of the TG-870, got from Costco some time ago. I usually shoot with the Micro Four Thirds system (GH2 and GX1), but found it so liberating to not have to worry about my gear getting damaged or stolen while at a beach on vacation.