Cell Phones

Got a call from Fido in regards to overdue payment.. Phishing?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2012 2:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2009
2344 posts
153 upvotes

Got a call from Fido in regards to overdue payment.. Phishing?

I might be paranoid but just wondering if this was just normal day to day operation. I had an overdue balance which I forgot to pay and a lady called telling me I had a overdue balance of $XX and if I would like to pay for it immediately using my Visa. The amount overdue was correct from my knowledge. So I gave her my 1) Credit Card # 2) Expiration Date 3) 3 digit code from the back. After a few seconds, she told me it was rejected but for sure have enough funds within the account. So I thought there might be a problem so I just told her I'll pay online and try it myself later. She said it was okay, and also confirmed my email and phone number which I thought was strange.

I've never actually paid for anything over the phone and always thought the 3 digit # on the back of the CC was confidential. Or is this normal operation?
5 replies
Jul 6, 2009
263 posts
15 upvotes
When I was with Fido they did call me before when I forgot to pay. Best to call Fido.
Apr 21, 2008
419 posts
80 upvotes
I think you should call fido right now to see if you did get a legit call.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2009
2344 posts
153 upvotes
Jim Lahey wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 4:43 pm
When I was with Fido they did call me before when I forgot to pay. Best to call Fido.
Yep I understand they would call, but was surprised at all the details they asked. Again, I never bought anything over the phone. Just seemed like anyone could call me and ask for the exact information to use my card online.
Apr 21, 2008
419 posts
80 upvotes
Yea... Except over the phone you can't determine their identity.
Online you have URLs, HTTPS and stuff...

Don't take this stuff lightly...
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3742 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
Never give out any info over the phone regardless! It is so easy to spoof a number these days to make it look legit. If you have an overdue balance and receive a phone call, tell them that you will pay it, hang up, then check your account balance online or call them back! I would freeze your cc immediately if I were you.
× < >