• Oct 5th, 2010 9:57 am
Tags:
[OP]
Jan 5, 2008
83 posts
1 upvote
Brantford

got hit by truck turning left, I GOT the ticket

This happened in Scarborough, It was a green light it turned yellow and i felt i did not have enough time to slow down so proceeded to clear the intersection.

A Truck began to turn left, as i began to passed and he hit me. I swerved in time so that he hit my rear driver side. After they cleared the wreckage, the officer gave me a ticket for careless driving based on a "independent witness". My tow truck driver saw the witness in a group, talking to the truck driver after the crash.

I was too stunned to do anything at the time. My car is beyond wrecked.

From my understanding ANYONE going straight has the right of way. If its a red light, its 50/50. mine WAS NOT a red light for certain. 100% but regardless, any help would be good please and thanks.

The officer DIDNOT take a statement from me either, not from what I can recall. I spoke to alot of people at once. Firefighter said it was a miracle I survived.
83 replies
[OP]
Jan 5, 2008
83 posts
1 upvote
Brantford
thanks man, firefighter said if i didn't swerve. I would be crushed by now :(
May 27, 2007
15693 posts
3126 upvotes
Toronto
arsenal6 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 9:26 pm
It was a green light it turned yellow and i felt i did not have enough time to slow down so proceeded to clear the intersection.

A Truck began to turn left, as i began to passed and he hit me. I swerved in time so that he hit my rear driver side. My tail spun out and hit a car that either turned right or was beside me in the rear which ended up on the curb. That car hit my front so i ended up making a big backward C.

After they cleared the wreckage, the officer gave me a ticket for careless driving based on a "independent witness". My tow truck driver saw the witness in a group, talking to the truck driver after the crash.

I was too stunned to do anything at the time. My car is beyond wrecked.

From my understanding ANYONE going straight has the right of way. If its a red light, its 50/50. mine WAS NOT a red light for certain. 100% but regardless, any help would be good please and thanks.

The officer DIDNOT take a statement from me either, not from what I can recall. I spoke to alot of people at once. Firefighter said it was a miracle I survived.

that sure sounded like a big mess. good to see you walked away from it without any serious injury.
what kind of truck was this? cement? trailer?

you should try to write down as much details as you can remember about what happened. did you exchange info's of witnesses/other drivers as well?
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
[OP]
Jan 5, 2008
83 posts
1 upvote
Brantford
It was a truck carrying stuff big crate in the back unmarked.

Sadly I was unable to exchange info nor take pictures of the crash site. First ACCIDENT EVER! :( I was too stunned and paramedics were all over me thinking i am dead.

The other driver that my impact had hit left in the EMS by the time i got out of the car.

It was nuts all my windows were shattered on impact.

But if you were to look at the damage, you can tell there was no way I wasn't the victim.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2005
2798 posts
24 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
arsenal6 wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 9:26 pm
It was a green light it turned yellow and i felt i did not have enough time to slow down so proceeded to clear the intersection.

A Truck began to turn left, as i began to passed and he hit me. I swerved in time so that he hit my rear driver side. My tail spun out and hit a car that either turned right or was beside me in the rear which ended up on the curb. That car hit my front so i ended up making a big backward C.
From what direction was the truck turning to hit your rear driver side? If it was from the opposite direction. also turning left on the same yellow light...
Mar 22, 2009
583 posts
9 upvotes
Im curious if this happened on hwy 7 near keele at around 2pm today?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2008
7794 posts
207 upvotes
Whitedart wrote:
Oct 1st, 2010 9:39 pm
From what direction was the truck turning to hit your rear driver side? If it was from the opposite direction. also turning left on the same yellow light...

i believe the car & truck were facing each other....car goes through yellow and truck doesn't wait for car to pass straight thru intersection...car reacts and tries to avoid truck, but still hits car in on the rear door.....as per the previous post, had he not reacted, the truck could have hit him head on or on the front left tire/driver door area and he wouldn't be making this post.

glad to hear you're okay!!
Jun 8, 2009
266 posts
5 upvotes
take it to court
wait for trial
request disclosure
go to trial
tell them the truth (it was unsafe to slow down/stop because you don't have enough time and distance. you would end up in the middle of the intersection.)
plead not guilty
request for further disclosure
keep wasting prosecutor's time and government's money
^^that's the key to fight a ticket
maybe they will give you a good offer, it's all up to you.
remember you don't win unless you are free to go.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1877 posts
122 upvotes
If you got to court bring as much proof as you can. Try to find the other driver.

The whole story seems strange how big was the truck? They don't tend to accelerate that fast even when unloaded... should have been possible for him to swerve and brake as well.

Asking this because maybe, and I am not laying blame on you, that you might have ran a red. Especially considering you also hit a guy who was right turning. That's a lot of cars in the intersection if it was green turning yellow. You bet figure if that guy was beside you or turning right. If he's beside you then there's a lot more chance you can prove it wasn't your fault. If he's turning right it might look bad on you.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8258 posts
1201 upvotes
Regrettably this happens a lot. Cars that have a red light and should be treating it as a stop just cruise on through cutting off traffic that has the right of way. Happens to me almost everyday and I get even more pissed when I have to slow down to accommodate them. The witness must've told the cop that you ran the light. That's the only way that I can see him being able to charge you with careless. Definitely fight it, work with your insurance company on this. Post an ad here on RFD and some posters in the area seeking witnesses to the accident.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7774 posts
1384 upvotes
...and thats why i slow down when i anticipate or see sudden yellow light switches and have just enough space. its one thing if you're 10 meters away from the intersection, its a different thing if you're 30+. To clear an intersection you must be in it already on green or just barely outside on the yellow. if the witness saw you coming from afar on an already yellow light, thats cause enough.

that said id hire a lawyer for this as it has wayy too many implications, not just tickets and insurance, but possible injury payments to the car you hit because of that truck when you swerved. at least youre okay. the rest of it will sorts itself out. take it step by step and be more careful in the future. :(
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15548 posts
1522 upvotes
GTA
the running the yellow light doesn't help your case but you got the ticket because you swerved...

granted you think you would've died had you not swerved but you yourself said that the vehicle going straight is not at fault... well you weren't going straight... you swerved and hit another car and caused it to go into the curb.

you should try stopping when the light goes yellow - esp if there are vehicles waiting to turn left in opposite traffic.