Tags:
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
prof_frink wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 10:09 am
I'm not reading this whole thread... but my understanding is - If you were behind the white line before the light turned yellow, you must stop.

That's not correct, and in many situations it's simply not possible. It gets worse where the posted speed limits are higher, and worsens in poor weather conditions.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1246 posts
94 upvotes
conix67 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 2:53 pm
That's not correct, and in many situations it's simply not possible. It gets worse where the posted speed limits are higher, and worsens in poor weather conditions.

Again, I'm just saying what the police officer told me.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41564 posts
5202 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I find that it helps to be proactive.
Sure you are allowed to plow through Yellow lights... but in most cases you could stop safely when there is a yellow. Whenever I see vehicles signaling to turn left I make it a point of stopping for yellows even if I know I have time to plow through. If I see the yellow and notice I have enough time to stop for it, I will do it as long as I don't have to screech to a halt.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30239 posts
1405 upvotes
Fernando Po
UrbanPoet wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 3:20 pm
I find that it helps to be proactive.
Sure you are allowed to plow through Yellow lights... but in most cases you could stop safely when there is a yellow. Whenever I see vehicles signaling to turn left I make it a point of stopping for yellows even if I know I have time to plow through. If I see the yellow and notice I have enough time to stop for it, I will do it as long as I don't have to screech to a halt.

I usually look in the rear view and make sure no one is running up my tail, then act accordingly.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
1645 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
prof_frink wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 3:18 pm
Again, I'm just saying what the police officer told me.

He's just telling you to treat yellow (amber) light as RED, and all drivers should treat it that way. However, as you can see the law allows you to run through yellow (amber) light as long as it was necessary. I'm repeating this paragraph here -

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5728 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]I'm not reading this whole thread... but my understanding is - If you were behind the white line before the light turned yellow, you must stop.[/QUOTE]

That is very true IF you are turning left!
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3446 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
arsenal6 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 2:28 pm
This was in Scarborough

hmmm...you're accident sounded very much like this one...oh well, what are the world stats: that a car crash happens every second or so in this world?

then i guess this was a real coincidence with 2 cars and a truck making left turns... :confused:
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2003
1246 posts
94 upvotes
conix67 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 4:34 pm
He's just telling you to treat yellow (amber) light as RED, and all drivers should treat it that way. However, as you can see the law allows you to run through yellow (amber) light as long as it was necessary. I'm repeating this paragraph here -

(15) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular amber indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle if he or she can do so safely, otherwise he or she may proceed with caution. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (15).
I agree with this. Obviously there's an element of safety and reason involved. If you cannot safely stop then, yes, a car can pass on a yellow.

But more often than not drivers tend to accelerate to a yellow rather than slowing down and stopping...
Banned
Apr 15, 2006
4572 posts
124 upvotes
Chatham
prof_frink wrote:
Oct 4th, 2010 8:28 pm
I agree with this. Obviously there's an element of safety and reason involved. If you cannot safely stop then, yes, a car can pass on a yellow.

But more often than not drivers tend to accelerate to a yellow rather than slowing down and stopping...

The only problem with your statement is "MUST STOP"

In other parts of the world, its written as a law. However the law like that is flaw because there is no cool time for stopping. Stopping process cant not happen instantly. Hence our law does not word "must stop"

Altho running yellow light can receive a ticket based on the officer observation. You cant fool an officer that its not safe for you to stop when your speed and distance indeed allow you to.