Automotive

Got a parking ticket because of interference with snow removal in Markham

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 7th, 2020 7:59 am
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
2 posts

Got a parking ticket because of interference with snow removal in Markham

Last Friday I got a parking ticket for having my car parked on the road at the time the snow plow came. The penalty is $150!!!! It looks like a lot of cars also got tickets as in my area with lots of townhouses and semi-detached houses, people have cars on the road especially during the day. This is really unfair as snow plows don't usually come that quickly to clear snow but it seems on Friday the city was on the hunt for extra $$.

Any advice on how I should deal with this?
38 replies
Jun 20, 2012
189 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Pay it and park in your driveway.

From Markham's website: "Residents can expect snow clearing to begin at the start of any snowfall and continue for up to the next 24 hours."
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13349 posts
13690 upvotes
Oakville
informal wrote: Last Friday I got a parking ticket for having my car parked on the road at the time the snow plow came. The penalty is $150!!!! It looks like a lot of cars also got tickets as in my area with lots of townhouses and semi-detached houses, people have cars on the road especially during the day. This is really unfair as snow plows don't usually come that quickly to clear snow but it seems on Friday the city was on the hunt for extra $$.

Any advice on how I should deal with this?
I guess you shouldn't park on the road.
I bet your city has a bylaw saying no parking overnight. Does it? Mine does.
Apr 15, 2014
771 posts
725 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Clear out your garage and use it to park your car.
Please respond
[OP]
Feb 9, 2020
2 posts
engineered wrote: I guess you shouldn't park on the road.
I bet your city has a bylaw saying no parking overnight. Does it? Mine does.
Did I mention overnight in my original post? It was right in the middle of the day that this happened. Anyways thanks for the reply :) was very insightful!!
Feb 24, 2016
121 posts
135 upvotes
Wish they’d actually ticket people in Ottawa, dumbasses on my street keep parking on the street when Mr Plow comes by.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13349 posts
13690 upvotes
Oakville
informal wrote: Did I mention overnight in my original post? It was right in the middle of the day that this happened. Anyways thanks for the reply :) was very insightful!!
There's often 3 hour parking limit as well at all times. How long were you there?
Also looks like Markham's rules say you can't be on the road if it needs to be cleared.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9058 posts
7345 upvotes
Markham
I live in Markham. They need to ticket people who park streetside during snowfall... like a lot more. If I was ticketing I would be going around ticketing every freaking car that is out there parked on the streets during snowfall.

It clearly states that you cannot park on the streets during snowtime. We need the streets plowed, not a bunch of patches full of snow because some jack-azz couldn't be bothered to park on his driveway or garage.

Pay the fine, stop complaining, and observe the snowclearing bylaw.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
5929 posts
3860 upvotes
Kitchener
I feel absolutely NO pity for you. Streets are NOT personal parking spaces, park in your driveway or garage.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Feb 10th, 2020 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9794 posts
6210 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Sorry OP but there are signs posted curbside on main city streets all over the City of Markham that clearly say DO NOT PARK ON CITY STREETS DURING SNOWFALL.

vlcsnap-2020-02-11-16h39m28s249.jpg

They also send out a memo before winter with the property tax bill, and I believe it's also in the parks & rec magazine sent out. I also believe I've seen the it posted in the weekly Economist & Sun community newspaper.

Also, by-laws posted on the city website:

parking.jpg
Last edited by chimaican on Feb 11th, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9058 posts
7345 upvotes
Markham
informal wrote: Did I mention overnight in my original post? It was right in the middle of the day that this happened. Anyways thanks for the reply :) was very insightful!!
You know what's helpful? Not blocking city plows when they're trying to do their job clearing the snow.

Like i dunno, don't park on the street during snow clearing?
Nov 18, 2019
43 posts
19 upvotes
GTA
There are quite a few signs the City has put up around town saying do not parking outside as it obstructs plowing. The sign has a picture on it as well.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9794 posts
6210 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
UnionvilleKid wrote: +1 for making an account just for this.
So is this a current member who made a new account so they wouldn't get smacked on by the rest of us? :lol: That's prohibited by RFD rules by the way.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!