Personal Finance

Got refused for an Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase. Do I have a bad credit?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2013 9:38 am
Tags:
None
Jul 6, 2009
68 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal

Got refused for an Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase. Do I have a bad credit?

I am a student still living with my parents and have around 15k in bank.
I work every summer making around 8-12k.
I already have a desjardin visa card for student. I pay the whole amount I spend every month.

I will be doing a semester abroad in Korea, I was intending to apply for a credit card with no foreign currency transaction fee.

I applied for an Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase few days ago.
Does it means I have a bad credit score?
Is there any other credit card that offer no foreign currency transaction fee which I could get?
34 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
Ryulink wrote: I am a student still living with my parents and have around 15k in bank.
I work every summer making around 8-12k.
I already have a desjardin visa card for student. I pay the whole amount I spend every month.

I will be doing a semester abroad in Korea, I was intending to apply for a credit card with no foreign currency transaction fee.

I applied for an Amazon.ca Rewards Visa Card from Chase few days ago.
Does it means I have a bad credit score?
Is there any other credit card that offer no foreign currency transaction fee which I could get?
sears MC
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2004
1145 posts
468 upvotes
Waterloo
You don't necessarily have bad credit; speaking from experience and what others have said, Chase seems to be very stingy with credit. For example, MBNA is willing to give me huge limits, that are upwards of $20K, but Chase would only give me $6K on this card. Based on this, it's no surprise to me, that they declined your application.
Jan 8, 2006
450 posts
57 upvotes
Try to get Sears Mastercard, much more ease. No foreign transaction fee.
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
bon wrote: Try to get Sears Mastercard, much more ease. No foreign transaction fee.
smartie wrote: sears MC
Sears MasterCard is also issued by Chase. What makes you think OP can get approved for one card from Chase when he/she has already been declined for a card by Chase?. I doubt there are different score requirements among Chase's cards. It's not like they carry any premium cards. Maybe OP has some lates reported on their bureau? Maybe the income reported wasn't acceptable? Too many recent inquiries?? Could be anything. I wouldn't app for another Chase card though.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.
Apparently, this was NOT an acceptable answer.

Who the hell did I miss? :razz:
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
mre wrote: You don't necessarily have bad credit; speaking from experience and what others have said, Chase seems to be very stingy with credit. For example, MBNA is willing to give me huge limits, that are upwards of $20K, but Chase would only give me $6K on this card. Based on this, it's no surprise to me, that they declined your application.
20k on any card is nothing but irresponsible of the issuer, no matter what your income or credit rating.
Can you believe it? They sent my income tax return forms back to me! In response to question # 4, "Do you have any dependants?" I replied - "2.1 million illegal immigrants, 1.1 million crack heads, 4.4 million unemployable people, 901 thousand people in over 85 prisons, and 650 idiots in Parliament.

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1891 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
in the last months, Chase refused me for an Amazon.ca credit card but MBNA gave me a new MBNA Rewards Travel with 9k credit limit.

Who knows why...
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
wayne74 wrote: Sears MasterCard is also issued by Chase. What makes you think OP can get approved for one card from Chase when he/she has already been declined for a card by Chase?. I doubt there are different score requirements among Chase's cards. It's not like they carry any premium cards. Maybe OP has some lates reported on their bureau? Maybe the income reported wasn't acceptable? Too many recent inquiries?? Could be anything. I wouldn't app for another Chase card though.
different product might have different scenarios. not only score,but also income and etc. besides,as other said,it doesn't necessarily because bad credit
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
smartie wrote: different product might have different scenarios. not only score,but also income and etc. besides,as other said,it doesn't necessarily because bad credit
Yes I agree it's not necessarily bad credit. It could very well be too many inquiries, too high balances on existing credit, income reported....list goes on. Again, Chase doesn't issue any premium cards, like World, Platinum etc...so I doubt there are different credit requirements for all of their cards. Well with the exception of Best Buy and Futureshop retail cards maybe, which they also issue.

Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bomberman07 wrote: in the last months, Chase refused me for an Amazon.ca credit card but MBNA gave me a new MBNA Rewards Travel with 9k credit limit.

Who knows why...
Some issuers are sticklers. Chase just happens to be one of them from what I hear. I don't have any of their cards, and no intention of ever having one.

Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
Is possible at least call them and ask why? it doesn't hurt.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
Did you declare your occupation as a student? I had no issues with the card and received a fair limit. How old is your credit profile?
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just looked at the app requirements, and they require an annual household income of at least $15,000. So if OP used his/her own annual income only, and not household, than that may be the reason for the decline.

Oct 31, 2012
140 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe your parents could apply and then get you a supplementary card.

At least this way you won't be hit with foreign transaction fees while you're Gangnam styling.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1361 posts
107 upvotes
I wonder how much the partner store has a say in issuing the credit. I used to have a FutureShop card back when it was issued by Wells Fargo and I had a 10k limit. Fast forward to three years ago and I'm at a FutureShop F&F sale buying a Washer/Dryer set for $1600, and Chase gives me $1500 limit :facepalm: . This is after doing the instant credit app by swiping my Amex with a 20k limit and $0 balance. The CS had to call them and ask them to manually up the limit because it won't cover the purchase I want to make, and just as I'm about to say screw it, just charge it on my Amex, they up it to 2k. With the Sears MC they issued 12k limit at the cashier. It would seem it's easier to get credit with Sears card? maybe OP should go to a Sears store and apply at the counter, but make sure you time it so that you get the best bang for the 10% off.
smartie wrote: different product might have different scenarios. not only score,but also income and etc. besides,as other said,it doesn't necessarily because bad credit
Jul 6, 2009
68 posts
49 upvotes
Montreal
smartie wrote: Is possible at least call them and ask why? it doesn't hurt.
I called them this morning and they cant tell me the exact reason why I was rejected. They just gave me a list of possible reasons.
Kasakato wrote: Did you declare your occupation as a student? I had no issues with the card and received a fair limit. How old is your credit profile?
I did declare that I am a student. My credit profile is 5 years old. I am thinking maybe I was rejected because I spend too much these past few months. I spent around 1300 out of my 2000 without raising limit.
wayne74 wrote: Just looked at the app requirements, and they require an annual household income of at least $15,000. So if OP used his/her own annual income only, and not household, than that may be the reason for the decline.
This might be the reason, i dont think I wrote my household income... No way to know if it was indeed the reason. After I called they told me I couldnt reapply before 90 days while I need it for the end of february :/
bronski wrote: Maybe your parents could apply and then get you a supplementary card.

At least this way you won't be hit with foreign transaction fees while you're Gangnam styling.
Im thinking of doing that, my parents trust me and would probably do it no question ask. But I would have to do the application for them. Where do I get started to get a supplementary card? Do I just have to apply for my parents and than make them call amazon.ca?

If this doesnt work, I guess I will just be getting the Sears MC as most were saying.
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1891 posts
312 upvotes
Montréal
Ryulink wrote: I called them this morning and they cant tell me the exact reason why I was rejected. They just gave me a list of possible reasons.
standard answer as I got the same know. They didn't knew why I got rejected, but had a list of possible reasons.
I feel the need... the need for speed.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
When buying our house early this year I found a deal at Sears for a mattress at the local home show - and equal payments with no interest looked like a good idea.

Got denied even with great credit. The mortgage and other hits for other equal payments no interest plans we did scared them off I guess. Ended up just shrugging and waiting (this was two months before we moved) for another good deal which we got at the Brick later (actually a better deal on a better mattress!).
Banned
Dec 1, 2011
2427 posts
342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ryulink wrote: Im thinking of doing that, my parents trust me and would probably do it no question ask. But I would have to do the application for them. Where do I get started to get a supplementary card? Do I just have to apply for my parents and than make them call amazon.ca?
Some applications have a spot to add a secondary card holder, some don't. You'll find out when you do the app. If there isn't a spot on the app, after approval, call Chase Amazon (not Amazon.ca) and they will tell you how to order a secondary card.
Ryulink wrote: If this doesnt work, I guess I will just be getting the Sears MC as most were saying.
Let us know if you apply for Sears and what the outcome is. Personally I think you'll be wasting an inquiry, for the reason already mentioned, but that's just my opinion.
Good Luck!

Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2008
1122 posts
1174 upvotes
wayne74 wrote: Let us know if you apply for Sears and what the outcome is. Personally I think you'll be wasting an inquiry, for the reason already mentioned, but that's just my opinion.
Good Luck!
Absolutely. Chase is Chase is Chase, and the Sears MC won't be easier to get. In fact, he'll waste an INQ for nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)