Got served paper from IP trolls for bit torrent copyright

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 18th, 2018 2:22 am
[OP]
Dec 21, 2016
19 posts
19 upvotes

Got served paper from IP trolls for bit torrent copyright

I am posting this in hope that there are other people out there in the same situation as me. I share a house with some tenants and we all pool our internet together under my name. We got some EUA in the past year and I have let the tenant know as well as change the wifi password (at the time) incase it wasn't them. I have email to proved this and that I am sharing my internet. Fast forward to today, I receive the paper from Colossal Movie Productions, LLC vs Doe #1 et al from AIrd & Berlis. I definitely did not download or heard of the movie Cell, (the Work). However, there is a chance one of the tenants has downloaded it. I can't seek professional legal advice as they are close now until Monday or Tuesday.
However I will like to gathered more info. and based on my research, Aird & Berlis has file many motion of this in the past. See https://www.ippractice.ca/litigation-st ... -for-2017/
Aside from seeking professional counsel, ss the worst case situation for me is the $5000 penalty? What other advice can RFD give me?
Much appreciated.
http://cas-cdc-www02.cas-satj.gc.ca/fca ... o=T-909-17
Last edited by SmallBusiness1234 on Mar 29th, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
629 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2516 posts
793 upvotes
you mean an email forwarded from ISP? In that case ignore it, and don't go to any links from that email. If it's a formal court summoning, with a demanded court appearance then you need a lawyer.

it's time for you to transfer the isp account over to a different tenant - why are you assuming all the risk? It's dumb. I wouldn't have agreed to it in the first place.
[OP]
Dec 21, 2016
19 posts
19 upvotes
It is not a court summon but a Statement of Claim mail they mail to me. I think after this is all over, I will just split off the internet from them.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14898 posts
2669 upvotes
Toronto
Did you respond to an email previously?

And now you have or will be getting an actual paper letter?
[OP]
Dec 21, 2016
19 posts
19 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 10:10 pm
Did you respond to an email previously?

And now you have or will be getting an actual paper letter?
Haven't respond to any email and got the actual paper.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2980 posts
365 upvotes
GTA
SmallBusiness1234 wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 10:21 pm
Haven't respond to any email and got the actual paper.
In the mail? So they have your physical address? From where?
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
2516 posts
793 upvotes
now I'm a bit more worried. Yes, how did they get your mailing address? But still, they cannot coerce money from you. They have to go through the courts and enforce it.

I would not contact them, and you should ignore it. Only if it's a court summons should you follow up with a lawyer.

I would suggest putting a VPN onto the router at this point, unless you can enforce the tenants to stop this crap. I would go as far as getting your own internet connection from now on and cancelling the current account and get the tenants to get their own.
Mar 6, 2002
366 posts
53 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Mar 29th, 2018 11:35 pm
now I'm a bit more worried. Yes, how did they get your mailing address? But still, they cannot coerce money from you. They have to go through the courts and enforce it.

I would not contact them, and you should ignore it. Only if it's a court summons should you follow up with a lawyer.

I would suggest putting a VPN onto the router at this point, unless you can enforce the tenants to stop this crap. I would go as far as getting your own internet connection from now on and cancelling the current account and get the tenants to get their own.
If you look at another case https://www.ippractice.ca/file-browser/?fileno=T-909-17
You can see Rogers and other ISP are releasing some of these info to the law firm

"Rogers to disclose within 30 days of this order names and addresses of as set out in Scheule 1 hereto.... Filed on 26-MAR-2018 copies sent to parties entered in J. & O. Book, volume 1364 page(s) 76 - """81 Interlocutory Decision"
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3730 posts
330 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Does the letter list your IP or state your name? I've never heard of someone getting a physical letter... Maybe a phishing attempt?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9009 posts
3443 upvotes
Toronto
Could be the Prince of Nigeria.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Dec 21, 2016
19 posts
19 upvotes
Typhoonz wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 12:01 am
Does the letter list your IP or state your name? I've never heard of someone getting a physical letter... Maybe a phishing attempt?
It does state my name and address along with a schedule listing all the john doe ip address. I was part of 98 other people / ip addresses. Official link of the case can be found here http://cas-cdc-www02.cas-satj.gc.ca/fca ... o=T-909-17

Order dated 26-MAR-2018 rendered by Kevin Aalto, Prothonotary Matter considered without personal appearance The Court's decision is with regard to Letter from plaintiff (affidavit of Christine Miroslavich affirmed 12-MAR-2018) dated 14-MAR-2018 Result: Rogers to disclose within 30 days of this order names and addresses of as set out in Scheule 1 hereto.... Filed on 26-MAR-2018 copies sent to parties entered in J. & O. Book, volume 1364 page(s) 76 - 81 Interlocutory Decision

You can see Rogers has disclose the order names and addresses.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
20109 posts
7211 upvotes
Ottawa
Interesting...good luck OP!
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
3730 posts
330 upvotes
Niagara-on-the-Lake
Probably best to get a lawyer now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
7925 posts
890 upvotes
Victoria
Lawyer's are expensive, and it's finable offense. Anywhere from $100 to $5000. It's never been done before. I don't think they've ever made it to court. Usually they're trolling to payment out of court.

The envelope it came in. Does it look like it was sent by the copyright troll or your ISP? Still wondering how the troll got your info, as even your letter says their seeking a court order to get your isp to reveal it. I'm wondering if Roger's forwarded you the letter. It's what there supposed to do when they receive a letter.

Your tenants need less on not using public torrent sites without protection.