Got served paper from IP trolls for bit torrent copyright

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 2:22 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: From the sounds of it its a "damned if you do" and "damned if you dont" scenario. Either way, you give in, you pay. You fight, you pay.

You pay once, then they discover your IP was used for another one of their items, and the same thing starts all over again. Wonder, are they going in for each movie, or all movies combined into one suit
I would believe that it would be treated separately so multiple convictions. It's a double win for the plaintiff at that point. However, if your IP was discovered to download another film, the defendant should be smart enough to avoid getting served via registered mail again.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: I would believe that it would be treated separately so multiple convictions. It's a double win for the plaintiff at that point. However, if your IP was discovered to download another film, the defendant should be smart enough to avoid getting served via registered mail again.
Since this all seems to be new, and they found a way to work the grey areas, once they see how it works and the payoff, Im sure this will just open the floodgates now. VPN or not, I know my downloading days are over for sure, even TV shows. Dont need this worry to ever popup years down the road
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: Since this all seems to be new, and they found a way to work the grey areas, once they see how it works and the payoff, Im sure this will just open the floodgates now. VPN or not, I know my downloading days are over for sure, even TV shows. Dont need this worry to ever popup years down the road
I think I'll hold off on downloading movies, but tv shows and music is still fair game IMO Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: I think I'll hold off on downloading movies, but tv shows and music is still fair game IMO Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Im sure many in this lawsuit thought this was fair game to.
Jun 3, 2018
18 posts
Hey any update on your situation?
I got severed today and I want home to sign it meaning someone else signed it..overall not sure what to do atm can someone please shed some light I've read the almost all the posts but cant seem to find any solution..
Jun 3, 2018
18 posts
I also got a letter today it was registered mail but signed by someone else.. what exactly am I supposed to do atm. Do I contact the firm that sent me letter to settle or what?

If I decide to plead not guilty what's the process and if found guilty do I get a higher fine
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
mintos007 wrote: I also got a letter today it was registered mail but signed by someone else.. what exactly am I supposed to do atm. Do I contact the firm that sent me letter to settle or what?

If I decide to plead not guilty what's the process and if found guilty do I get a higher fine
All the details are in the thread and if you received a letter, you should probably read all the posts. Good luck.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
You're options are pretty simple. You can ignore it all together as you didn't sign for the letter and hope for the best. Or you can either fight the charge against you through a lawyer if you wish, else by requesting details from the plaintiff and submitting your own defence, else you settle. All of this should be done through the court .

I'm far from legalise like some of the posters in the thread, but I believe that's the gist of it.

Which film are you accused of sharing?

EDIT: I've actually seen someone email the plaintiff, so that is perhaps an option.

Discontinuance on behalf of Plaintiff against DOE DEFENDANT #72 filed on 19-APR-2018

Solicitor's certificate of service on behalf of Kenneth R. Clark confirming service of Doc. 41 upon DOE DEFENDANT #72 by email on 18-APR-2018 filed on 19-APR-2018

This one is also interesting.

Discontinuance on behalf of Plaintiff (ONLY RE: DEFENDANT, JOHN DOE #83) filed on 05-MAR-2018
(34) 2018-03-05 - Toronto
Consent on behalf of Plaintiff John Doe #83 to Discontinuance against Defendant, John Doe #83, on a without costs basis filed on 05-MAR-2018

Not sure if this means that the #83 paid a fine and the plaintiff is not pursuing any other related costs, or #83 managed to get the charges dropped.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Im amazed out of all the RFDers, that no one has a lawyer friend to call in a favour to for this.
Jun 3, 2018
18 posts
. sad part is none of the people actually posted their result or solutions to this.. ease PM me if anyone can help
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2258 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto West
ahoroba wrote: Many posters in this thread focus on the small amount of "monetary damages" that a judge might end up ordering, and it is very possible that a sympathetic judge might order a losing defendant to pay just $100 (statutory minimum for non-commercial infringement).
But everybody is ignoring the issue of "cost" awards, which is on top of the "monetary damages"; in court litigation, the losing party almost always pays some (or all) of the legal costs of the winning party (on top of the "monetary damages" ordered). Historically, quite a few losing defendants were badly burned when they ignored the risk of being ordered to pay the legal costs of the plaintiff. On the issue of costs, the judge has some latitude; costs can be awarded on a scale from "column one" to "column five", with "column five" being almost 100% of the costs incurred by the winning party, while "column one" can be a fraction as low as 5%-10% of the full costs. In this litigation, the plaintiff will likely be able to show legal costs in the six figures, so even 5% of that could mean that a losing defendant could end up ordered to pay several thousands dollars in costs. And there is always the risk that a judge might get annoyed if defendants come up with lame excuses for a defense (like "the movie was so badly reviewed on Rotten Tomatoes that I could not have possibly wanted to download it and watch it, unless I was high"); if a judge thinks that a defendant is clogging the courts by needlessly litigating an untenable issue, then damage awards and cost awards can get really high, so as to send a message...
People really need to understand that costs are reasonable costs related to filing etc. You dont end up paying for their lawyer.. Unless its a ridiculous case that skipped mediation to begin with and you were an asshole on purpose. And in a case like this, its highly unlikely they would get costs of more than $100-$250 or so if at all. You dont get penalized because they blew money recklessly
Feedback - Hofo--Heatware--RedFlag[/B]
Jun 10, 2018
12 posts
16 upvotes
Hey Everyone,

I got served today for Wind River and I made an account on here just to see if anyone else is in the Wind River Copyright Trolling T-1926-17 case.

https://www.ippractice.ca/file-browser/ ... =T-1926-17

From the same law firm Aird Berlis and Kenneth R. Clark.

I've gone through most of the thread and I'm going to reach out for some legal advice on this case. I'll keep you all updated.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
inhama wrote: Hey Everyone,

I got served today for Wind River and I made an account on here just to see if anyone else is in the Wind River Copyright Trolling T-1926-17 case.

https://www.ippractice.ca/file-browser/ ... =T-1926-17

From the same law firm Aird Berlis and Kenneth R. Clark.

I've gone through most of the thread and I'm going to reach out for some legal advice on this case. I'll keep you all updated.
Great money maker for these guys. Through out a huge net, even if it comes up as a couple hundred a person. Look at the Does listed
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
That's a large number of folks. Which movie is this?
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7069 posts
3381 upvotes
wind river, with Scarlett Witch and Hawkeye from Avengers, and the half Chinese lady who plays an Indian victim.
Apr 20, 2018
35 posts
13 upvotes
Woodstock
Last edited by skinnyguy on Jun 12th, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jun 10, 2018
12 posts
16 upvotes
I've gone around the block and I've been told that the settlements are around $3k-$4k CAD. I've been told that they're(The Plaintiff) very stubborn with the settlements.

Letter of defense from a lawyer will run you around $1.1k-$1.5k CAD with future retainer costs running you about $10k-$15k if/when this goes to court.

I've got into contact with a few lawyers who are following these cases (A few frequently blogs about them) and reviewing the statement of claim. They are willing and eager to do a pooled defence action, PM me if you're interested.
Last edited by inhama on Jun 12th, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)