Shopping Discussion

Got slapped with a CAD 25 while ordering from ******** !!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2016 7:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2014
297 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I don't remember if i chose DHL.. but I chose expedited shipping which cost me $3.00 extra and this is how I burnt my fingers !!! :(
[OP]
Nov 25, 2014
297 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
macnut wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 9:50 pm
You did well. ******** under-declared the selling price by about 50% so you saved about $10 in duty and tax. That almost pays for DHL's fees. Be happy!
Yes.. Thats the way I would like to evaluate it... the gifts were for my parents who had come over to visit !!! I will definitely raise it with ******** and DHL both and see if I can get some of it refunded... paying $25 duty for goods worth $70 is just appalling. I paid $28 for a MI Phone when I had purchased from Aliexpress.. definitely much better..
Dec 20, 2011
368 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
Last edited by th3dud3 on Oct 10th, 2016 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 20, 2011
368 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
tintin2k2 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 10:54 pm
macnut wrote:
You did well. ******** under-declared the selling price by about 50% so you saved about $10 in duty and tax. That almost pays for DHL's fees. Be happy!
Yes.. Thats the way I would like to evaluate it... the gifts were for my parents who had come over to visit !!! I will definitely raise it with ******** and DHL both and see if I can get some of it refunded... paying $25 duty for goods worth $70 is just appalling. I paid $28 for a MI Phone when I had purchased from Aliexpress.. definitely much better..
******** already did you a favor and undervalued the items for you so why would you contact ******** for a partial refund, the fee's have absolutely nothing to do with them, they don't see a penny of it. It's all duties, taxes and dhl fee's. Only way around it was to use snail mail but expect a much longer wait. When you order anything over $20 using a fast shipping service that's tracked like express/priority/expedited from fedex/ups/dhl etc. you will always be hit with duties,taxes and courier fee's.

If ordering and using fedex I know you can avoid their fee if you have a fedex account with a credit card registered. If you get the seller to include your fedex account number so that any taxes/duties owing gets charged to your credit card you'll avoid the fedex fee but you'll still have to pay duty/taxes. If for some reason your fedex account isn't added when the seller ships it out, you can call fedex customer service and get them to charge your credit card through your fedex account and they'll waive the fee but I think you can only do this once and you still owe duty and taxes.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2003
1796 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
During an online gift exchange my sender sent me a mug via DHL, the mg was worth maybe $15 but the Seller in china marked it as $30, so DHL wanted to charge me taxes and their processing fee (almost $30 in fees/taxes). I called DHL and showed them the original invoice but they told me that they were not able to change it on their end so I asked them to self clear the package instead. They sent me the paperwork and I went down to th border services at the airport and cleared he package myself. I sent the CBSA paperwork to DHL and they released my package. Total paid: about $2.

If you have a CBSA nearby I highly suggest you call DHL and tell them you want to clear the package yourself and save their processing fees.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver
why would you buy china made cheap thermometer for your baby?
You seriously going to trust that $20 infrared thermometer?
FFS if you don't want to spend $100 for Braun ear thermometer, just get a $10 armpit/oral thermometer from local drug store.
Dec 20, 2011
368 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
importpsycho wrote:
Oct 11th, 2016 1:41 am
FFS if you don't want to spend $100 for Braun ear thermometer, just get a $10 armpit/oral thermometer from local drug store.
Where do you think the $10/$100 thermometer was made in, I'm certain both were made in china lol. You have to filter out the garbage from the decent stuff which the OP seems to have done since the reviews/videos for the unit seem to be good even if you assume some of them are possibly shills/fake. The stuff you can get at a retail brick and mortar store, even some brands you would think are reputable can be just as crappy as anything you get online from china, you have to do your own research before buying stuff online since it's the wild west, you never know!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5292 posts
448 upvotes
Toronto
DHL worst company for Canada in my opinion. I will never buy anything if it's shipped by them. I paid them before in cash and then got a call from their collections saying I didn't pay. And I am always dinged with duties if by them.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11904 posts
1567 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Back in the day, when I didn't know better or had moron friends who used courier, even when I specifically told them not to, I had to pay high broker fees a few times. I let loose with some swear words, then wrote the $$ loss as a learning lesson. Now, I know better, and generally don't get dinged (except for the odd moron friend who still insists on their way, thinking they somehow know better than I do, even though they don't live in Canada).
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20376 posts
4332 upvotes
Poormond Hill
tintin2k2 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 5:27 pm
Hi All,

I purchased the following items from ********.com.
http://www.********.com/home-decors/pp_256180.html - 4 nos
http://www.********.com/monitoring-test ... 25940.html - 1 nos

Bill Total - CAD 75

The seller dispatch it via DHL and I got an import duties of CAD 25. Is there anyway I can fight to get some money back. The invoice provided by the seller listed it at USD 26.36 = CAD 35. At 12% import duties it works out to CAD 4. Is there any way I can escalate this in DHL and get a refund?

Any advice will be highly appreciated.
I don't know what is more despicable. Have the seller declare a value of $35 or being charged $25 on items valued at $75.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
752 upvotes
Vancouver
th3dud3 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2016 2:36 am
importpsycho wrote:
Where do you think the $10/$100 thermometer was made in, I'm certain both were made in china lol. You have to filter out the garbage from the decent stuff which the OP seems to have done since the reviews/videos for the unit seem to be good even if you assume some of them are possibly shills/fake. The stuff you can get at a retail brick and mortar store, even some brands you would think are reputable can be just as crappy as anything you get online from china, you have to do your own research before buying stuff online since it's the wild west, you never know!
True but If i'm going to be using it for measuring temperature of infant having a fever, I certainly would not trust cheaply made digital thermometer from Chinese website known to sell knock offs.
just my 2cents.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2014
297 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto, ON
importpsycho wrote:
I already have a Braun Thermometer _ thermoscan from Walmart - http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/braun-therm ... 0016947866 that I use for my kids. I got this one for another use.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2881 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto
tintin2k2 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2016 10:54 pm
macnut wrote:
I remember getting charged $50 at the door by dhl for $60 t-shirt.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Aug 4, 2012
284 posts
175 upvotes
Cambridge
Oh gosh, the worst I've ever had was $60 on a $100 item. I distinctly remember that shipping + brokerage cost more than the item. I was too young to have a credit card so I had to get the cheques that came with my bank account and ask the UPS guy how to write a cheque.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17792 posts
1777 upvotes
Space for rent
I got slapped with 78 for an item that was $530.

Ups is the bane of international shopping temptations.