Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3230 posts
144 upvotes

Gourmet Garden Restaurant (Toronto)

For those of you who goes to this place for Malaysian food at Brimley and Sheppard, they now have a full restaurant across the street. Seems like the menu has also expanded as I've seen new things on the menu.
16 replies
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
MoonDoggy wrote:
Oct 24th, 2011 8:31 pm
For those of you who goes to this place for Malaysian food at Brimley and Sheppard, they now have a full restaurant across the street. Seems like the menu has also expanded as I've seen new things on the menu.

Really? What about the food court? When will it be closed down?
Have you tried the new full one yet? How's it? How about the price? Is there a new online menu?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes
The food court is still there. I'm sure they can do away with it since the new restaurant is huge. The prices are the same as the old place but not sure about portion sizes.
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
slowtyper wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 12:10 am
The food court is still there. I'm sure they can do away with it since the new restaurant is huge. The prices are the same as the old place but not sure about portion sizes.

I hope they don't further cut down on portion sizes. The current price at Food Court is at par with other Malaysian restaurant already. If GG further cut down the portion sizes, then it would make it too expensive. I know they don't care because they have too much business.
I remember the first time I tried their grilled stingray fish this year, it was like $10. Then, they up the price to $14 (either $13 or $14) and the portion was still the same. Last time I tried, the portion size is just half of the original size (no kidding, 1/2 portion) for $13 or $14. If anyone has tried the new restaurant, please comment on the food and price. Thank you.
Aug 16, 2009
559 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
AAA wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 1:23 pm
... If anyone has tried the new restaurant, please comment on the food and price. Thank you.

Anyone??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3230 posts
144 upvotes
AAA wrote:
Oct 28th, 2011 1:23 pm
I hope they don't further cut down on portion sizes. The current price at Food Court is at par with other Malaysian restaurant already. If GG further cut down the portion sizes, then it would make it too expensive. I know they don't care because they have too much business.
I remember the first time I tried their grilled stingray fish this year, it was like $10. Then, they up the price to $14 (either $13 or $14) and the portion was still the same. Last time I tried, the portion size is just half of the original size (no kidding, 1/2 portion) for $13 or $14. If anyone has tried the new restaurant, please comment on the food and price. Thank you.

the portion and prices are the same. if you're refering to Restora Malaysia, GG is a hell of a lot cheaper. the stingray isn't on the regular menu.

i was only at the new restaurant once (but was a regular at the food court) and i saw new menu that was more for "dine in" (asian family sharing style). i saw the spicy lobster/crab dish that i've only had in malaysia (it's crab/lobster cooked in a spicy red sauce). i also heard they will eventually close the other side once the lease is up. i'm planning to go there tomorrow night so i will comment more then.

here's a few pics of the new items i tried last time (of course, it's cooked malaysian style).

Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2006
3341 posts
25 upvotes
Burlington
I went there on the weekend and was disappointed. The food is nearly as good. However, they are still in "food court" mode. The service is pretty bad, in that they are clueless as to how to serve at a restaurant. Basically, I could not order dishes by name, and only by number. This caveat was insisted upon several times. The girl who took our orders took 4 or 5 attempts to write it down (it was only 2 dishes), because somehow the paper kept slipping from her hand/palm. Most of the serving staff cannot converse in English (nor Mandarin), except for the manager and a Malaysian waitress. So if you know Cantonese, it would be smoother sailing. Hilarious because Malaysians do know English. My malay was barely rudimentary so I did not try it.

I would rather patronize the food court. It isn't that it's an Asian restaurant and thus we should expect worse service (horrible stereotype, I know). It's just the worst one I have had so far, barring mishaps.

Aug 16, 2009
559 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know the quality and quantity is the same! I personally care more about the food than the service. However, the tip they get from me will be reflective of the service. :D
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3230 posts
144 upvotes
so i went again today and for some reason, it seems the portions were larger than before. i had "pan mee with anchovy and bitter melon", while my friends had both the laksas. we were talking to the lady there and we asked about the expanded menu. she said it's a cut down version of the original one they had planned but is still fairly large because they had requests from societies who have their meeting there (malaysian, indonesian, singaporean, etc) requested some dishes to be on there.

while i do enjoy the food court, i think the new restaurant is pretty nice.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2010
2726 posts
74 upvotes
MoonDoggy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2011 9:41 pm
here's a few pics of the new items i tried last time (of course, it's cooked malaysian style).

are you going to add your pics to Yelp?

reviews and pics:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/gourmet-malaysia-scarborough

-
PROTECT your pet from HOT SUN/HEAT. Dogs can die of heat stroke/dehydration=panting, fast breathing. Dogs need WATER, SHADE, COOL air
http://youtu.be/rYmk2jJZGdM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHgrrA1ERgo
May 4, 2004
511 posts
22 upvotes
We went to the food court this past weekend, waited for 5 min to get someone to come out to take my order, we then were referred to the new restaurant across the street, so we went. The 1st thing we were asked, once we got in, was "Do you have a reservation?" Nope, I said, am I supposed to? The lady didn't say anything, no expression on her face either, so asked, how long is the wait? Don't know. There is a food court across the street, I said, just went and they sent me here. The receptionist looked mean. She gave me a number.
Once we got our table, we quickly sent in our order and waited. A girl came to take our order, we said we already ordered. She was like, really? After half hour, our food arrived, everything tastes very good. We were all satisfied with the food. However, the entire staff need to be retrained. I have never been to a restaurant like this, it's so disorganized. They bought us food we didn't order 3 different times. We asked 4 times to get the check because they don't know our table # to find us the check, the waitress asked if we knew our table #, lol! Finally we got the check, we looked it over very carefully, everything looked OK, so we paid with cash. No one came to take it, so had to flag someones over twice to take our money, then we realized what a big mistake we just made, paid with a big bill. More waiting, the waitress who took our money went by our table couple times but didn't look at us. We finally asked her for the changes, she said, didn't get it yet, and left. We had to flag down couple waitresses to get our changes back. This sounds very ridiculous.
Aug 16, 2009
559 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Went there for dinner last night. The food quality and portion is similar to the food court location. Had Nasi Lemak, Laksa, Poh Pia, and Bu Bu Cha Cha. :D Service wasn't bad at all! The only thing I caution is to make sure you count your change. They shortchanged me $1 so I gave a "dollar less" in tip. If they remember me as a bad tipper the next time I go, shame on them.
Nov 30, 2008
90 posts
4 upvotes
I went here last weekend and although the food is great; the service was not too good. It's not that these people are rude or whatnot...it's just that they are very awkward. I think they still have the same service mentality that they had from the food court. I honestly did not know what to make of the experience...I'd probably just stick with the food court (If they don't close). I think the staff need some serious training...they couldn't remember the table numbers and to order food, I find that it's better to tell them the corresponding number since they kept asking me "What number is it?" At the end of the meal, we ordered the winter melon longan drink...they guy there didn't know what it was and went to ask another guy who came up and flipped open the menu on our table to find the order number for the drink...meanwhile, the first guy is standing behind a pillar and peering over at our table..it was just so awkward... :-0
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2072 posts
133 upvotes
Wow, I'm not the only one who had really bad service. It's like none of the staff have ever worked in a restaurant before. Even by asian standards it was really bad. Here is a repost of my review on chowhound...

I would avoid this place on any busy night. I went to the new operation two weeks ago on a Sunday night. The service was absolutely non existant. I stood at the door for 10 minutes before someone asked how many were in my party (I was alone, no one else waiting at the door). After I indicated "1", she takes the menu and passes it off to the guy behind the cashier. He takes over and looks around see that there aren't any open seats and asks me to wait a few minutes. 30 seconds later, 3 tables leave and empty out. I wait another 5 minutes and I have to go back to him to remind him as he's forgotten about me already! During this whole time I was the only person waiting at the door.

To keep a long story short, service was absolutely in chaos. Supremely understaffed. 4 waiters covering the whole restaurant and stepping over each other. Every table I could see had to flag them down to ask for something. To compound this nightmare, there happened to be a person who needed hand holding to be guided through the menu. It was like she never ate asian food before. Asking the most basic questions and tying up that waiter for 10-15 minutes. I had to ask twice for my bill!

They don't even have a computer system to take orders. All orders are written by hand. The food is great but they have severely bitten off more than they can chew. Just because you run a food court stall doesn't mean you can run a restaurant.
× < >