• May 30th, 2013 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1312 posts
87 upvotes

"Gourmet Secrets": Opinion thread

Today's Dealicious Deal: $25 For $200 Worth Of AAA Grain Fed Alberta Beef, Free-Range Chicken & More At Gourmet Secrets ($200 Value)

http://dealicious.ca/toronto?deal=MjYz& ... 19,%202011

Sounds familiar?

Granted, they have stricter terms (1 voucher per person, 1 voucher = 4 x $50 certificates, can only use 1 $50 certificate a month, taxes and shipping not included), but I hope we've all learned our lesson from the Butchers deal. If it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is.

The suspicious parts of the deal:
- way too much of a discount, not sustainable business model
- website access is spotty (seems like it's hosted on somebody's PC with a cable modem)
- web site was registered less than a month ago, no reviews on the net, but the website says they've been in business since 1996
- exclusively online deal but shipping not included. no indication of how much shipping actually costs. [edit: got website to return, looks like shipping is $20 for up to $150]

Caveat emptor
78 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1221 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
Yup, I saw that & thought... no way, did this deal site not check anything???

You end up paying a lot, $20 for shipping X 4 = $80, plus tax = $26. Prices are high, they will save on shipping for sure making money off every order...

$131 for $200 of (inflated priced) meat over a minimum of 4 months... not so great. Plus the whole, 'you might not get anything' risk ;)

Only if dealicious is willing to provide refunds 4 months from now would I even consider this deal.
:arrow: I'LL BUY WAGJAG COUPON CODES! $5, $10 & $20 (from liking on FB or icoke - Paying 30% of coupon value by Paypal) - PM ME! :!:

My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Sep 12, 2010
128 posts
49 upvotes
Thanks for the post skillz, very helpful info.

I have a question: How can you tell that the website looks as though it is hosted on somebody's pc modem & that it was registered less than a month ago? That kind of information could be very helpful in the future.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1312 posts
87 upvotes
juice01 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2011 10:45 am
I have a question: How can you tell that the website looks as though it is hosted on somebody's pc modem & that it was registered less than a month ago? That kind of information could be very helpful in the future.

I was kind of making stuff up with the hosting, I have no idea really. It was just very slow and spotty for me earlier so that comment about the crappy hosting wasn't really based on any solid facts.

Regarding when it was created, go to www.whois.net and do a domain lookup.

WHOIS information for gourmetsecrets.ca :

[Querying whois.cira.ca]
[whois.cira.ca]
Domain name: gourmetsecrets.ca
Domain status: registered
Creation date: 2011/06/20
Expiry date: 2012/06/20
Updated date: 2011/06/20

Registrar:
Name: Go Daddy Domains Canada, Inc
Number: 2316042

Name servers:
ns77.domaincontrol.com
ns78.domaincontrol.com

% WHOIS look-up made at 2011-07-19 14:53:14 (GMT)
%
% Use of CIRA's WHOIS service is governed by the Terms of Use in its Legal
% Notice, available at http://www.cira.ca/legal-notice/?lang=en
%
% (c) 2010 Canadian Internet Registration Authority, (http://www.cira.ca/)
Aug 27, 2009
479 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Local area code is 780 - Alberta. Who wants to order meat or seafood and get it shipped to Toronto? No thanks....

FYI, here's their FAQ on shipping:
Q. How is it kept frozen during shipping?
A. Gourmet Secrets premium protection packaging ensures that you receive products of the highest quality. Each quick-frozen item is carefully packed with dry ice, then surrounded by a premium, reusable polystyrene chest. The dry ice may have dissipated by the time your order arrives.

In the last year, we have shipped over 800 orders and we never had any thawed food arriving to our valued customers. If ever the product arrives partially thawed, they are still good as long as product fells cool to the touch, the quality is not diminished. You can refrigerate if using within 7 days or refreeze until you are ready to use. Lobster tails, fish and uncooked chicken should not be refrozen, refrigerate and use within 7 days.
Apr 7, 2011
128 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
"The dry ice may have dissipated by the time your order arrives."

LOL... and THIS would be the reply you receive when you complain that the meat is thawed and gone bad:

"We swear we packed it with ice, but of course cannot prove it since it has all "dissipated". Not sure how your meat would have arrived completely rotten. Oh well, sorry to hear that... btw... no refunds. Have a nice day."
Aug 27, 2009
479 posts
210 upvotes
Toronto
Meanwhile: CBC meteorologist Johanna Wagstaffe says high temperature records were broken again Monday across Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... -heat.html

Toronto's medical officer has reinstated a heat alert for Toronto, with temperatures expected to reach 30 degrees Celsius on Tuesday.
http://www.globaltoronto.com/Heat+alert ... story.html

Shipping frozen meat thousands of kilometers is not exactly a great business model if you ask me.
Deal Guru
Nov 5, 2001
10453 posts
1046 upvotes
SkiLLz wrote:
Jul 19th, 2011 9:38 am
Today's Dealicious Deal: $25 For $200 Worth Of AAA Grain Fed Alberta Beef, Free-Range Chicken & More At Gourmet Secrets ($200 Value)

http://dealicious.ca/toronto?deal=MjYz& ... 19,%202011

Sounds familiar?

Granted, they have stricter terms (1 voucher per person, 1 voucher = 4 x $50 certificates, can only use 1 $50 certificate a month, taxes and shipping not included), but I hope we've all learned our lesson from the Butchers deal. If it sounds too good to be true, it definitely is.

The suspicious parts of the deal:
- way too much of a discount, not sustainable business model
- website access is spotty (seems like it's hosted on somebody's PC with a cable modem)
- web site was registered less than a month ago, no reviews on the net, but the website says they've been in business since 1996
- exclusively online deal but shipping not included. no indication of how much shipping actually costs. [edit: got website to return, looks like shipping is $20 for up to $150]

Caveat emptor

I would approach this one with caution.

Here is the address from their website:

#206, 8712 - 48 Ave NW

Edmonton, AB

T6E 5L1

Canada

They are based in a small 1100sq ft second floor office in a small light industrial park building.

The office was for lease as recently as last November, so they haven't been there very long.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/16332596 ... monton-AB/

They used to be listed under another address and phone number in Edmonton:

http://www.dakitaki.com/business-direct ... ecrets-Inc

And even another address, with the same phone number:

http://www.ibegin.com/directory/ca/albe ... 60-ave-nw/

Now the real question is, are they set up for proper refridgeration, handling, and safety/certification of food products?

They are a BBB Accredited Business according to the Better Business Bureau:

http://www.bbb.org/edmonton/business-re ... -ab-108346

They have been in business since 1996 according to their Facebook profile:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gourmet-S ... 30?sk=info

The conversation on the dealicious website is that they won't allow pick ups from their office. Sounds like the processing and packing is being done at another site. Which is good, I wouldn't want my steaks prepped and coming from some industrial parks shoebox office desktop.

For being in business for 15 years, I can't find a single review on their product. :|

After reading the fine print, this is nothing more than a fine print inflated shipping cost scam.

If you read carefully, you will see this is for 4x $50 vouchers, and only 1 PER MONTH can be used.

Shipping on one item is $19.99. The cheapest items at regular price start at around $30. So for your $25, you can get 4 orders of say, cheese balls and breaded mushrooms over the next 4 months.

Unless you are ordering 8 items or more (these vouchers are combinable with that of course) paying $20-$70 PER ITEM at the discounted price PLUS $30 - $40 shipping for that order, you don't really get any kind of savings.

Oh, and yes, you pay GST+HST on everything, including the shipping costs.

Better yet, go spend $50 at your local costco for better food you can drive home fresh/frozen with no chance of poisoning.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
You can keep defrosted fish for 7 days??
I thought that it was usually around 2, 3 days at most?

I will ask my local fish shop when I go there next week.

I thought shipping was $20 for up to 4 items or $150?
shipping for $20 is ok as it is expensive to ship items w UPS of whatever.

I actually had bought some seafood from a place in Toronto a few years ago- shipping was probably $20 then.
-this was for an item I could not find locally. prob not something I would do too often as it is not usually worth doing.

for most people there are probably better local choices for frozen or fresh items.
Costco is ok, but you can find actual local farmed meats for much less than this online place.
Jul 20, 2011
3 posts
EDMONTON
Hello Everybody,

Thank you for your concerns. First, if you try a little bit you can pick apart any business. This new concept in Canada is similar to a very successful American company that operates online and sells high quality foods to their valued customers. They have been operating for over 40 years and online since 1990. This company is called Omaha Steaks.

We have been in business for 15 years, 11 years direct marketing and 4 years online. We have recently made our quality product available to everyone in Canada. Yes, we have separated our administrative office from our warehouse to better suit our business needs. Our goal is to make sure that customers such as yourself, receive the best product and service. We have an inspected warehouse that insures that all orders are packed properly with sufficient dry ice. Now, dry ice is carbon dioxide that has been pressurized into solid matter. For is to keep your food frozen, it will evaporate and keep the temperature in your container up to -40C.

Now for the pricing, regular prices are set according to smaller orders (under 8 packages). Therefore, they are going to be more expensive.
The business concept works at its best when you order 8 packages or more. The reason why you save so much is because the size of the order enables us to reduce our overall costs and we pass on the saving to you.

REMEMBER you can always find a lower price anywhere you go. You decide where to shop depending on your preference and your needs. We offer convenience, quality, and customer service. We are also contributing to saving the planet by eliminating retail stores that would consume energy, trees and more.

By no means are we a scam. We have over 8000 valued customers that like our program.
Feel free to call us if you have any other concerns. We have a toll free number: 1-877-254-0222

Thank you for your concerns,
GSI Customer Service
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2003
1159 posts
377 upvotes
00cp wrote:
Jul 19th, 2011 1:12 pm
"The dry ice may have dissipated by the time your order arrives."

LOL... and THIS would be the reply you receive when you complain that the meat is thawed and gone bad:

"We swear we packed it with ice, but of course cannot prove it since it has all "dissipated". Not sure how your meat would have arrived completely rotten. Oh well, sorry to hear that... btw... no refunds. Have a nice day."

Pharmaceutical companies have been doing this for years now with drugs that need to be refridgerated, and very rarely have any issues, the dry ice I beleave can last for 2 days.
Apr 7, 2011
128 posts
16 upvotes
Toronto
bigphil26 wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 12:18 pm
Pharmaceutical companies have been doing this for years now with drugs that need to be refridgerated, and very rarely have any issues, the dry ice I beleave can last for 2 days.

Are you really comparing raw meat to hard packed pills?
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12166 posts
277 upvotes
00cp wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 2:22 pm
Are you really comparing raw meat to hard packed pills?

refrigerated/frozen vials of medication usually in liquid form
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1221 posts
127 upvotes
Mississauga
GSICustomerService wrote:
Jul 21st, 2011 11:57 am
Hello Everybody,
Thank you for your concerns. GSI Customer Service
Thanks for not really answering any questions!

For this to be a 'deal', it wouldn't be separated into $50/once a month vouchers. 1 voucher, $200 worth, shipping of $30-40 + tax ($90 total). There's a good deal.
$131 (or more if you need to spend more) on regular or higher priced meat over 4 months is not.

It's not a scam, it's scam-ish. People on RFD are here to save money, not have it conned out of them in the form of a useless voucher.
:arrow: I'LL BUY WAGJAG COUPON CODES! $5, $10 & $20 (from liking on FB or icoke - Paying 30% of coupon value by Paypal) - PM ME! :!:

My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
× < >