"Gourmet Secrets": Opinion thread

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2013 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2012
1 posts
NORTH VANCOUVER
Please go to their Facebook page. Please comment with your thoughts about them. They will delete it but at least someone will see it.

Facebook Page
Please go to their Google Reviews Page - and let them know what you think.

Their prices are about double what you would spend anywhere else. If you use a coupon you are FORCED to by at least 2 packages. They would not allow me to use it for one item as you have to use the full value of the coupon, right down to the penny!

Post on your Facebook page. Let everyone know this is a lousy deal.
Mar 11, 2012
3 posts
SURREY
Janda1 wrote: I searched online for reviews before taking the deal but found none so am sharing now. The orders arrived frozen as promised but the portions were small, the chicken lacked flavour, the bacon was fatty and the Delmonico steaks were decidely tough. Premium products can command a premium price but not Gourmet Secrets. Guess the 3 other vouchers posted on my bulletin board will remind me that it's always better to pick out your own meat, at a reliable retailer.

I'm surprised you would actually put an order in at those prices, but it's great that we have a review now.

So we have the following facts confirmed.

(1) Their products are not high quality or fresh.
(2) They charge approximately double the standard market price for their meat. Keep in mind I'm referring to their BULK PRICES. It's OVER double the price if you buy just one unit. Example: For organic free range ground bison I can buy this at a local organic whole food store in Vancouver FRESH for $9/lb. At Gourment Secrets they charge $22.25/lb!!! It's not even subtle. It's blatant robbery. Even if you buy in bulk 16lbs!!! It's still $16.90/lb. ($270 for 16lbs of ground bison!!!).
(3) They sell coupons $25 for 4 $50 coupons on every group buy/team buy type site out there you can imagine.

Piece it all together. Their real business is scamming these group buy sites. This is where prob 99% of their revenue comes from. People like me who have bought dozens of great deals from other companies like Tuango, Groupon, Dealfind ect and never been burned see $200 for $25 and snap it up before really looking at the prices on the Gourmet secret website. Gourmet secrets has this figured out too. For those who take a quick look THEY WILL NEVER SEE PRICES IN $/LB or $/KG ect. It's always $/"package". Any website that was actually confident that they had fair competitive prices would display their $/lb proudly. Gourmet secrets takes great care to hide it. You have to break out your calculator and work out ounces per unit, then number of units per package to arrive at pounds then multiply by 8 to get their bulk "deal" to get total pounds and arrive at an $/lb number. Once you actually do this you realize your coupons are actually useless and you've been had. To use a $50 coupon you have to actually lose more than $50 due to overpricing (even if shipping was free, WHICH IT IS NOT, it would still not be worth using your coupon). It's clever because I don't think they're breaking any laws, but it's a blatant scam. In the rare case some poor fool actually still puts an order in after seeing the prices, they have some back up stock on hand (low grade crap from what we hear from the review).
Mar 11, 2012
3 posts
SURREY
Best way to get revenge. Complain to everybody you can. BBB, all the group buy deal sites that support them, review sites, ect. The more complaints the group buy sites get the faster they'll figure it out and stop cooperating with these scumbags.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
keefrto wrote: hi, agreed some of the food tastes good honestly, check it out next time you are in buying the food and see the salt content. Dont take my word for it, see how much you end up drinking after eating :D
MM meats does have many items that have no salt or low salt. you just have to read the packages.

their frozen fruit mix is the best quality I have seen and a decent price.
the desserts at MM are very fattening though- those Apple Blossoms esp..but they are cheap for $1 compared to $7 at swiss chalet.
Mar 11, 2012
3 posts
SURREY

What "information" are you referring to? Any "company" that registers and pays BBB the required fees and doesn't have legitimate complaints against them will have a good standing with the BBB. Nobody can file a legitimate complaint about Gourmet Secret's group buy coupon scam because they are not breaking any laws with this gimmick as far as I know. I would love to write the BBB and complain that I was tricked into buying their coupons from a group buy site, then couldn't use them because they charge 4X the fair price for their products. Yet, It's my fault I didn't check out their website more before I paid for the coupons.

I'm sure anybody out there dull witted enough to pay $16.90/lb for ground bison (and $22.25 if you dare to purchase less than 16lbs in one shot...LOL) will get a decent enough legitimate product. The only way you can file a legitimate claim with the BBB is if they don't send the promised product or it comes to you rotten. However, I doubt many people actually purchase meat from their online store. Gourmet Secrets is definitely making the bulk of their profits selling their "coupons" to unscrupulous customers who purchase them from the group buy sites before doing a proper investigation of the actual company (Gourmet Secrets).

I was personally ripped off $25. I even tried to e-mail gourmet secrets asking politely for a refund since I could never afford to use their coupon. I'm not going to spend $270 + shipping on 16lbs of ground bison just to use up ONE of my FOUR "$50" coupons (that must be used on separate purchases spaced 1 month apart). They didn't even waste a minute on even a curt response. I was simply ignored. They got my money, good game, on to the next victim.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
ShopandShip wrote: What "information" are you referring to? Any "company" that registers and pays BBB the required fees and doesn't have legitimate complaints against them will have a good standing with the BBB. Nobody can file a legitimate complaint about Gourmet Secret's group buy coupon scam because they are not breaking any laws with this gimmick as far as I know. I would love to write the BBB and complain that I was tricked into buying their coupons from a group buy site, then couldn't use them because they charge 4X the fair price for their products. Yet, It's my fault I didn't check out their website more before I paid for the coupons.

I'm sure anybody out there dull witted enough to pay $16.90/lb for ground bison (and $22.25 if you dare to purchase less than 16lbs in one shot...LOL) will get a decent enough legitimate product. The only way you can file a legitimate claim with the BBB is if they don't send the promised product or it comes to you rotten. However, I doubt many people actually purchase meat from their online store. Gourmet Secrets is definitely making the bulk of their profits selling their "coupons" to unscrupulous customers who purchase them from the group buy sites before doing a proper investigation of the actual company (Gourmet Secrets).

I was personally ripped off $25. I even tried to e-mail gourmet secrets asking politely for a refund since I could never afford to use their coupon. I'm not going to spend $270 + shipping on 16lbs of ground bison just to use up ONE of my FOUR "$50" coupons (that must be used on separate purchases spaced 1 month apart). They didn't even waste a minute on even a curt response. I was simply ignored. They got my money, good game, on to the next victim.
You can't do a credit card chargeback?
I would not take the $25 loss.

Also maybe write a review on Yelp a lot of people read those.
May 2, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
So many negative comments about being scammed! I guess you need to read the details before buying but the "deal" here is definitely more of a hook than a scam... you do get what they say, but you have to spend a lot more than you think you are commiting to.

I have my third order waiting for me on my Toronto doorstep today and have been happy with the service and quality of food.

I would say that without research on similar products it is hard to know if the prices are really good or not, and you absolutley have to purchase 8 packages to get their bulk discount to make it worthwhile.

So if you are only looking to buy a small quantity, this is not for you, but if you have a family to feed, a freezer, and want the type of food they are selling, then you can get some good value out of it... and, yes, the food arrives still frozen!

Keep shopping folks!
Aug 31, 2009
325 posts
219 upvotes
BC
I was considering this deal as it came back just recently with $250 in vouchers for only $25. But when you do your research and actually read through the terms and conditions and pricing of their products, then you can clearly see that this is a very expensive way to buy meat.

I wouldn't call it a scam so much as I would call it high pricing that people don't fully understand before buying the deal. If it was a scam, then you'd pay out the money and never receive anything back. To me, all the costs and terms are there for the reading and were clear enough for me to realize that a lot more $$ was involved than $25 to get $250 worth of meat to my front porch.

On all of these deals, it's very important to do the due diligence required before pulling the trigger on any of them. I see 14 or so people have bought the latest round of this deal and it makes me wonder how many of them actually know what they're really buying.
Jan 5, 2009
573 posts
52 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Fell for another group buy meat "deal"

Webpiggy refunded my butchers vouchers in the form of piggybucks, I used some of my piggybucks for this and after reading the reviews I don't want to drop $300 on this. Many of the items are super overpriced and you can get them for like 30-50% less locally. Some prices are only at par after the vouchers and whatnot. There is no deal after shipping $28 + HST on the $300. There is no point to buying coupons from them they should of been available for free. They now even offer a side deal that doesn't need coupons and includes free shipping.

In the end it's quite clear that internet meat deals simply don't work no matter how well the offer/pitch is and it's best to stick with local butchers or supermarkets.

It's pretty smart way, they got you on the hook for $25, and for you to get that $200 of discount your going to need to spend over $1000 with them, reminds me when FS or BB try to say "save 200 off this TV when you buy it for $1200" :lol: The 1 item prices are insane too $100 for 6 8oz NY steaks that are apparently subpar, its designed so that you always lose

On a side note; food basics has rib steak cap off "Canada AA or higher" for 4.88/lb june 15-22
Jun 23, 2012
1 posts
TORONTO
I've bought a couple of orders from these guys using my Groupon. YES, the beef is outrageously expensive, as is everything else.
The problem is my (very allergic) wife insists that I order chicken from them. Although expensive, she doesn't react to it, it's flavourful and juicy. Can't argue with that.
FYI the dry ice lasts fine from Calgary to Toronto, with enough left over to have magical fun with it (double, double toil and trouble...). Just put the dry ice (careful, FREEZING cold) into a pot of hot water and enjoy the show.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2005
1360 posts
761 upvotes
The scam is in the wording of the title. Living Social is now doing the "deal".

This is what the title says:
$25 for $200 of Beef, Chicken, and Seafood

Are you getting $200 worth for $25? Somebody show me a way that you can get $200 worth of food for $25 with the deal. It doesn't say you are getting $100 worth of food and $100 worth of service for $25, it clearly says you are getting $200 of Beef, Chicken, and Seafood. That is a LIE.

It would not be a scam if it told the truth and just said $25 for $200 of vouchers to use at Gourmet Secrets because thats what you are getting. Not $200 of food.
Aug 28, 2012
1 posts
HUDSON
The recent TeamBuy "deal": $25 for $250 of..... is absolutely dishonest in its presentation. I have purchased many deals via Groupon, LivingSocial, Tuango, etc, and have had no prior issues with language/disclaimers/small print. The Gourmet Secrets deal, however, has clearly been written in a manner to deceive. Their goal is not to give you a large discount; their goal is to hook you into making multiple purchases over a period of months, with the net discount actually being rather modest. For most "deal getters" (aka, those that were fooled), for small orders the $50 coupon will largely only cover shipping charges; to avoid the shipping charges - which you can do with or without a coupon - you have to place a large order, and since you can only apply one $50 coupon the net discount becomes quite modest, like 10-15%.

This is absolutely "bait and switch"; the appearance of a large discount but the delivery of a modest discount.

And, the deal delivery has been structured so as to prevent the purchaser from claiming a refund once the deception is uncovered. A refund will only be issued by TeamBuy within 7 days of the deal closing. But once the deal closes, they don't actually send you what you need to receive the coupons; they first send you a notice saying that you will be able to access your "ticket"; but then after you get your ticket you have to go to Gourmet Secrets to let them know you have the ticket, then Gourmet Secrets sends an email thanking you, and informing you that you will soon receive your coupons. But by the time they then deliver the coupons, guess what, you're already past the refund period! If this isn't scamful, deceptive behaviour I don't know what is.

catwalk wrote: Thanks for not really answering any questions!

For this to be a 'deal', it wouldn't be separated into $50/once a month vouchers. 1 voucher, $200 worth, shipping of $30-40 + tax ($90 total). There's a good deal.
$131 (or more if you need to spend more) on regular or higher priced meat over 4 months is not.

It's not a scam, it's scam-ish. People on RFD are here to save money, not have it conned out of them in the form of a useless voucher.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
1012 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Welp looks like it's back. I looked into it, found the prices absolutely outrageous, and then found this thread. Their website barely works and when it does, you'll realize you're better off going to your local farmer's market and picking up the same kind of stuff for cheaper (and getting it fresh, not frozen). Yikes!

Also notice a lot of newbies (at least 3 or 4) creating accounts JUST to post good reviews in this thread and then never posting again. Nice. Not suspicious at all. I even accidentally thanked one of them. Oops.
Feb 20, 2013
1 posts
Hello Everybody,

Thank you for your concerns. First, if you try a little bit you can pick apart any business. This new concept in Canada is similar to a very successful American company that operates online and sells high quality foods to their valued customers. They have been operating for over 40 years and online since 1990. This company is called Omaha Steaks.

We have been in business for 15 years, 11 years direct marketing and 4 years online. We have recently made our quality product available to everyone in Canada. Yes, we have separated our administrative office from our warehouse to better suit our business needs. Our goal is to make sure that customers such as yourself, receive the best product and service. We have an inspected warehouse that insures that all orders are packed properly with sufficient dry ice. Now, dry ice is carbon dioxide that has been pressurized into solid matter. For is to keep your food frozen, it will evaporate and keep the temperature in your container up to -40C.

Now for the pricing, regular prices are set according to smaller orders (under 8 packages). Therefore, they are going to be more expensive.
The business concept works at its best when you order 8 packages or more. The reason why you save so much is because the size of the order enables us to reduce our overall costs and we pass on the saving to you.

REMEMBER you can always find a lower price anywhere you go. You decide where to shop depending on your preference and your needs. We offer convenience, quality, and customer service. We are also contributing to saving the planet by eliminating retail stores that would consume energy, trees and more.

By no means are we a scam. We have over 8000 valued customers that like our program.
Feel free to call us if you have any other concerns. We have a toll free number: 1-877-254-0222

Thank you for your concerns,
GSI Customer Service[/QUOTE]

Bravo! Well stated Gourmet Secrets! I don't believe there's a scam. It's a case of what you want to spend on the quality of meat your purchasing. It's a choice.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2011
1120 posts
480 upvotes
MTL/TO
Thanks to everyone. I saw this deal on groupon

$5 for $50 Worth of Meat, Seafood and Prepared Meals from Gourmet Secrets.

My initial instinct was to buy, buy, buy. I read the fine print and googled the company name (found this thread).

Seems more like a headache than anything else.
May 8, 2013
1 posts
ORMSTOWN
Hello Joshua18,
First sorry for my english I'm french...
I had exactly the same thinking as you to buy like 10 of them but, maybe I dont understant the concept but prices Seams to be way to high !
Here is my calc. For the Porc Tenderloin, It is 42.99$ for 15x(100g) so 1500G.. If i compare with IGA prices.. Porc Tenderloin is:1.76$ for 100g wich mean that for 1500g is cost 26,40$
And this is the regular price for IGA, on special it is almost half price.. Also for the www.gourmetsecrets.ca you have to pay a lot for shipping.
So please correct me if me calcs are wrong but if not, they are selling their meat way to high.
Thanks
Yan
Jul 20, 2011
3 posts
EDMONTON
Since 2011, Gourmet Secrets has operated exclusively online to bring to all Canadians the very best in gourmet meats and seafood. During that time, we have partnered with group deal websites such as Groupon, Dealfind, TeamBuy, Buytopia, Tuango, LivingSocial, MadDeal, DealGetters, SwarmJam and others in order to reach out to our customers and offer extra value for their purchases with us. The deals we featured on those websites and others were created in such a way as to be sustainable for Gourmet Secrets in the long run, to ensure that even with great value offered to our customers, we would be able to not only survive, but grow even more to serve them better. Because of this design, however, individuals with limited budgets or who wanted a different kind of offer with no strings attached found themselves disappointed or frustrated by our deals, and have in turn expressed this by calling us a scam.

In light of this, it is very important for us to be clear:

We are not a scam, nor are we a discount store. We provide the best in terms of quality food: AAA Alberta beef, free-range chicken and pork free of antibiotics and hormone treatments, wild fish and natural seafood that adhere to Safe Quality Food Level 2 standards. Even regular price, a New York steak from Gourmet Secrets is half the price that you'd pay in a restaurant for a steak of the same quality.

We value our customers' patronage with Gourmet Secrets. We have built this company from long-term, trustworthy relationships with our customers, the highest-quality food the world has to offer, and convenient, easy service from the time of ordering to the time of delivery. When you make an order, everything is inspected and placed in your container by hand, to ensure the quality of your food is at its best and your order is complete, and we have never offered a special or an order that purposefully includes less than what is advertised (Mistakes do happen though, and if your order is missing anything, our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee will take care of you!). Like any special offered in almost any other store, there are conditions on our coupons which are put in place to ensure that we can sustain the deal and provide for every customer who orders with it. We attempt to make these conditions as clear as possible in our deal, though the final layout of the conditions is up to the company with which we are partnering at the time. We always recommend for prospective customers to give us a call if they have trouble with the way any of our deals work, and we can answer all their questions quickly and easily.

A scam involves dishonest business practices or promises made that do not add up to what you actually receive. We cannot promise to plan our deal in a way that doesn't allow us to grow as a company, nor can we promise to give away food to people without paying for it.
We do promise to deliver the very best in gourmet foods to you in a courteous and convenient manner, at great value. We promise as well that if an item you receive is not up to your standards, we will take all possible measures to correct that and make you happy. We promise a deal that gives you extra value for your purchase, a deal that is good for you and good for us too. Again and again, our satisfied customers have expressed their delight in the food and service they have received from us, through Facebook, email and over the phone.

In the end, our campaign with group deals has been very successful, with over 50,000 vouchers sold nationwide and over $1,000,000 redeemed by our customers through their coupons since. This much saving on the best food available for Canadians nationwide- now that is something to be excited about!