Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 14, 2009
11 posts
Surrey

Gov job Language Proficiency

Hi

I was wondering for Gov jobs on the Language Proficiency section if it says: English Essential, Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB

does that mean that I need to be able to speak English and french?

If I can only speak English can I still apply or will I Be automatically rejected?
11 replies
Dec 7, 2004
863 posts
32 upvotes
Yes. Bilingual Imperative means you must meet the BBB standard when you START the job.

If it was Non-Imperative, if you landed the job, you must become Bilingual by about 2 years post hiring.

For you now, You will eventually be "tested" for French and then and there you will be screened out if you applied.
Oct 6, 2009
224 posts
6 upvotes
lol looks like you're not that good at English either if the word 'imperative' is new to you
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2009
2380 posts
656 upvotes
Nova Scotia
You will need to speak French at the BBB level for the "Bilingual Imperative" position(s); however, if you don't speak French, you will only be considered for the "English Essential" position(s).

So, to answer your question, you will not be automatically rejected.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2009
2380 posts
656 upvotes
Nova Scotia
EFSF Jaburo wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2011 11:39 pm
lol looks like you're not that good at English either if the word 'imperative' is new to you

How would you interpret "English Essential"?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
112 upvotes
stinkytofu2020 wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2011 11:05 pm
Hi

I was wondering for Gov jobs on the Language Proficiency section if it says: English Essential, Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB

does that mean that I need to be able to speak English and french?

If I can only speak English can I still apply or will I Be automatically rejected?

If it says "English Essential, Bilingual Imperative BBB/BBB" it means that they will be considering both English only speaking and/or bilingual people at the BBB for the position. So if you are only english speaking then you meet the requirement.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2004
2778 posts
112 upvotes
JMoreno wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2011 11:44 pm
You will need to speak French at the BBB level for the "Bilingual Imperative" position(s); however, if you don't speak French, you will only be considered for the "English Essential" position(s).

So, to answer your question, you will not be automatically rejected.

Saw this after I posted. This is correct.
"What an emotionally wrecking of the stomach game"
Jun 17, 2008
76 posts
4 upvotes
Ottawa
It means there are positions that are for English only and separate positions that are bilingual. Apply and say you only know English.
Dec 7, 2004
863 posts
32 upvotes
EFSF Jaburo wrote:
Apr 3rd, 2011 11:39 pm

LOL Good old Firefox Spellcheck--I should pay more attention ;)
Dec 7, 2004
863 posts
32 upvotes
Kenny Blankenship wrote:
Apr 4th, 2011 7:48 am
Saw this after I posted. This is correct.

Ahh yes, I should have read more carefully.

Thanks for the clarification.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2009
2380 posts
656 upvotes
Nova Scotia
DrXenon wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2012 5:29 pm
Sorry to dig this thread up from long ago, but what does CBC/CBC or BBB/BBB actually mean in practical terms? I took French up to the highest grade possible in high school, but I have never really used it except when on vacation in France.

Every single Public Works job in Ottawa seems to be demanding CBC or CCC. I am starting to abandon my dream of a nice government engineering position there.
This link will provide you with the qualification standards for the official languages: http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/gui/squn03-eng.asp#second
If you are curious about the testing itself, then start here: http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc-cpp/sle-el ... nd-eng.htm
Oct 13, 2011
188 posts
33 upvotes
Montr
First letter is for comprehensive skills, second letter is for written skills and last letter is for oral skills.

A = beginner
B = intermediate
C = advanced

If a position requires a CBC in French, it means that you need to have an advanced skills for comprehensions and oral, but will require only intermediate written skills.
× < >