Off Topic

Government aid during Coronavirus (as of March 18)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 12:32 pm
228 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6320 posts
2590 upvotes
Thanks for posting! This will be helpful while we wait for the official releases from the CRA and otherwise.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6537 posts
6521 upvotes
Toronto
I tried calling Scotia and there is an automated message to wait until your payment is due within 7 days and all co borrowers are available to take the call.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1415 posts
713 upvotes
Durham
Waiting to see what the mortgage options are and I'm not with one of the 6 that made announcements today. My second jobs helps to supplement my mortgage payment and my current, stable contract has been put on hold losing $2k/mth
Oct 26, 2006
172 posts
14 upvotes
Markham
mazerbeaner wrote: I tried calling Scotia and there is an automated message to wait until your payment is due within 7 days and all co borrowers are available to take the call.
Can you elaborate on this? So I have to call 7 days before mortgage is due? Do we have to submit anything?
Oct 31, 2019
147 posts
138 upvotes
Interesting - no explicit support for rent or mortgages. I guess the idea is that those will be indirectly supported via the fast EI + (up to) $900 biweekly payment? So that one shouldn't need to default on rent or mortgage payments unless they were REALLY living beyond their means?

A lot of people out there work under the table (probably less common in DT Toronto/Vancouver) - those are the ones that I'd be worried about because they're SOL on all of this support. Hopefully no one is renting to anyone in that situation.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1500 posts
371 upvotes
In Hiding
Is there any detailed info on whether and which benefits are taxable, and also which of the monetary aids have to be paid back? Need to budget accordingly not just take it all as "free" until we know more.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6537 posts
6521 upvotes
Toronto
veelo wrote: Can you elaborate on this? So I have to call 7 days before mortgage is due? Do we have to submit anything?
Unfortunately the message does not have more details. Because it's busy they have a telepromt you can select I'd your mortgage payment is due within 7 days so seems like your call will get prioritized
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
57 posts
121 upvotes
Would prefer helicopter money. People who are not laid off are losing out. Typical Liberals giving free stuff primarily to the poor, homeless, and First Nations people.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2447 posts
379 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
stoic5 wrote: Would prefer helicopter money. People who are not laid off are losing out. Typical Liberals giving free stuff primarily to the poor, homeless, and First Nations people.
:facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8884 posts
1542 upvotes
Toronto
Many spivs may already be licking their lips on how to get a piece of this even though they may not qualify.
The CRA telephone scammers with Canadian resident connections have probably already devised schemes etc
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
2497 posts
489 upvotes
Ontario
stoic5 wrote: Would prefer helicopter money. People who are not laid off are losing out. Typical Liberals giving free stuff primarily to the poor, homeless, and First Nations people.
Wtf
No he is going to give it to rich ppl.
You can always sell your toilet paper, you've been hoarding.
¨°º©oVelox, Versutus, Vigilanso©º°¨
Banned
Mar 14, 2020
57 posts
121 upvotes
CouponKindaGuy wrote: Wtf
No he is going to give it to rich ppl.
You can always sell your toilet paper, you've been hoarding.
How about the middle class? Not rich, won't get much help from this, keep getting squeezed as usual.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
5445 posts
1388 upvotes
Thornhill
stoic5 wrote: How about the middle class? Not rich, won't get much help from this, keep getting squeezed as usual.
Middle class shouldn't be crying, when families with a mortgage and kids, have a parent out of a job and then 2nd parent's hours reduced, with a families getting by under $2,500 per month. Not the right time to cry how your $60-80K+ salary is not enough.